Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Fuel Stove

• 27-09-2006 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm in the process of building a house 2200sq feet. I have decided to go with oil and have a turf/wood burning stove as a backup. I am going to need to heat up to 16 radiators. I'm looking into the stove with a glass door so that the fire can be seen.What I want to find out is what is the best stove/model to use and the best places to buy. Most importanly is what has been board members expierences with this system

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

say ur oil burner will do about 25/30kw for the 16 rads, maybe need more.

I dont think u will get a neat glass fronted yoke to do that

so u may need to think about what exactly u mean by back up and plumb accordingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'm also in a similar situation to you but the news ain't good with regard to getting a multi fuel stove to heat 16 rads. The best one I could find would only heat 12 rads and the salesman said that was pushing it.

You could just use the stove to heat the domestic hot water although you'll need a dual coil cylinder for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭arghh

Thanks for the responce. See I thought you could heat about 20 rads with solid fuel so its back to the drawing board. (Here is my rant got to let it out) I was hoping to go with renewable energy but there is so much hassle just trying to get the right info that in the end I said I'd to go with what is tried and tested. The only lesson that I have learned is that there is alot of spin put on renewable energy and it is not all that its supposed to be. Beware of hippies with checkbooks as they used to say in the music business. Feels better already

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

hi there, Ive just completed a 1950 square foot new build. I put in a solid fuel stove in my sitting room and trust me if you go for this beast you wont regret it:

http://www.broseleyfires.com/hercules.html

It heats my whole house 18 Rads and my hot water cylinder (lots of water for my pump shower). I would also suggest using zonal heating as this is a great way to redirect the heat to only certain rooms i.e. bedrooms. I'll be honest its not the prettiest stove to look at its in a black matt finish only (i.e. no enamel option like Stanley)

It has a huge fire box i only fill it once at nite and empty it twice a week. Last time i looked it was around the 2000 euro mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

hi there, Ive just completed a 1950 square foot new build. I put in a solid fuel stove in my sitting room and trust me if you go for this beast you wont regret it:

http://www.broseleyfires.com/hercules.html

It heats my whole house 18 Rads and my hot water cylinder (lots of water for my pump shower). I would also suggest using zonal heating as this is a great way to redirect the heat to only certain rooms i.e. bedrooms. I'll be honest its not the prettiest stove to look at its in a black matt finish only (i.e. no enamel option like Stanley)

It has a huge fire box i only fill it once at nite and empty it twice a week. Last time i looked it was around the 2000 euro mark.

I think i'd go the same system myself - have you thermostata around dfifferent ares of the house - does the burner 'overheat' in the area it is placed? - Can you get a dependable supply of dry timber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I finished my house at Christmas and have LPG backed up by the 15B Charnwood model: http://www.charnwood.com/images/products/country-15b/country-15b-stove.jpg

This does the upstairs radiators in all bedrooms to a very good heat (11 rads, 3 double) and "Warms" downstairs to a reasonable temp.

Sadly I was'nt paying attention on the install and it was plumbed slightly wrong (should have 2 out, 2 return connections, mine are only singles) and this reduces it's capacity by up to 20 percent (according to the Charnwood engineer), but it's fitted now so fook that :) , not getting it changed.

Anyhow, with the stove going downstairs, heating the kitchen and small lounge we find we rarely used the gas at all last winter (just as well given the bl00dy price!)...

Does eat fuel tho so I'm not so sure its totally economic... but its toasty warm and looks nice... (stove's pretty ugly tho)..

FBP.

I dont ever have an over heating issue as its enclosed in some brick work. The room is quite large 18Ft by 16ft with an open plan design into another room. Really it comes down to the amount of fuel u put in... on those cold winter nites if i pack it to the neck after 15 mins or so it will blast out serious heat... mine burns much slower than an open fire. one fill around 7pm and im good for the nite till 12:30 - 1am.

If i shut the living zone down and send it to the bedrooms (8 rads) they get as warmer if not warmer than my oil burner can manage. But the main difference with it and the oil burner is the heat remains in the rads not like the oil burner if u shut it off within 20 mins they are cold again.

I have two zones so i can redirect the heat to where i want it... i.e. during the day time to my living areas and evening/nite to the bedrooms. I have no problem with access to fuel as i can source peat turf locally. 300 euro of turf does me a year.

That is great news for me Galway Guy since that is the road I'm going down. More questions (just to pick your brains) what is the optimal size hot water tank and who is selling them(the beast) here. Thanks

ohhh I cant remember the size of the hot water cylinder I have off hand... but its much larger than the standard size. Its a dual coil cylinder got it from Ganleys in athlone company near park west in Dublin make them.

As for the stove itself ganleys of Athlone have it on display, Company called Hamco on the portarlington rd in tullamore also sell it.

http://www.stovesireland.com/contact.asp these guys also sell it.

Míle Buíochas Galway Guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Navilluso

Hi Galway Guy,
    I'm planning to build a 2,800 sqft house and have an L shaped kitchen/living room. We've designed in a chimney in the living part (which is the short part of the L - living area about 11ft square) and am wondering if that stove you have would overheat the room....or would I need to consider bricking it in too? We're still deciding what type of heating to use, but had a stove in mind for the living area....and have a lot of space to heat so need a 'beast' too I think. The rest of the L is kitchen and dining area. Wasn't going to put in a rad cos it's south facing, and there's nothing worse than an overheated chef! However, I don't want to be sitting trying to watch the telly next to a beast that's overheating the living room.....any advice? Turf and timber won't be a problem but would like the most efficient stove we can get all the same. Not into wood pellet as of yet...might go down the route for boiler but have to be convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Podgemcd

If it helps, we are fitting a Stanley Erin to our living room which will also run heating and heat water. The house is 2600 sq ft. This stove is coupled to a condensor boiler in the garage and solar panels on the roof. After doing all the calcs.... the Stanley Erin came out with the best efficiency and heat output for our setup. Don't know if that helps. Give me a shout if you need any more info:)

Advertisement