Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Iron levels in blood test

• 06-03-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Doc noticed high iron levels in blood test,
    - what might cause this?
    - what are the problems?
    - and is there anyway of lowering it?

Also would high iron levels effect skin condition?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Did you not discuss this with your doctor? That would be the best place to start.

Folks, please remember that we cannot provide medical advice here.

Some quick info from http://www.labtestsonline.org.uk/understanding/analytes/serum_iron/test.html :

High levels of serum iron can occur as the result of many blood transfusions, iron injections into muscle, lead poisoning, liver disease, or kidney disease. Haemochromatosis is the most common cause of high iron. People with hereditary haemochromatosis absorb more iron than their body needs. As the body does not have a way to increase excretion of the excess iron, there is a progressive build-up of the excess iron in tissues and organs.

Substances that can cause high iron levels include the pill, oestrogen pills and preparations, iron supplements, heavy intake of alcoholic drinks, methyldopa, and chloramphenicol.

Seriously though, talk to your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Those are all questions your doctor should have answered rather than leaving you to look for advice online.
    However having said that a relative of mine has a condition called Hemochromatosis which causes him to have excess iron in his blood. You should find this site helpful http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hemochromatosis/index.htm#what

While you may find that site helpful it really is up to your GP to make the diagnosis. I have no medical knowledge whatsoever..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Just on the haemochromotosis, a relative of mine has it as well. It's more common in people with Celtic genes. Also more common in men than women (due to periods).

Don't worry - it's no big deal. GP will steer you in the right direction. You may have just been packing in the spinach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

She told me over the phone so could'nt really go into it, going in for a proper screen next week, thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Haemochromatosis runs in my family, my father has it. Treatment is just to give blood regularly. It's good to find out early as it can be fatal if untreated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

On that note I'm closing this.

Best of luck with the treatment. If you're looking for advice on a new diet after speaking to your doctor feel free to open a new thread :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement