Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bangkok drinks anyone?

• 03-01-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I will be landing in Bangkok on the 21st of this month on the start of my trip around SE Asia and Australia and have two questions.

1. Where do you thing is the best place to stay for a backpacker travelling solo looking to meet other travellers (not the knacker kind ;)).

2. Most importantly will there be anyone else in bangkok around the same time who wants to meet up for some beers? I've read a couple of treads on here that say its difficult to meet people in Bangkok and although I have heard from others that its not that bad I see no harm in trying to arrange a few drinks with people on here who might be in the same boat.

I dont know how long I'll be in Bangkok but let me know if your there around the same time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

You should be ok in Bangkok for meeting people. The main problem all over Thailand is that there aren't really many dorm rooms or communal areas in the guesthouses.

The Khao San Road area is the main spot for backpackers - if you're travelling alone the best ones are behind the temple (there's a temple on the top end of the Khao San Road - the end without the Burger King) and along the road on it's right and behind it are a few different hostels with restaurants / communal areas. "My House" is pretty cool with a great restaurant, but you can't book and it's always full, so you have to turn up in the morning and hang around the lobby for a couple of hours waiting in turn as people check out. Other than that, if you're travelling alone, just keep an eye out for places that have a communal area.

As regards avoiding the knackery kind of backpacker you shouldn't have any trouble. Most scumbags seem to have everything booked before they go and in Bangkok that's almost always in a nice hotel around Siam square or Sukhumvit - if you're booking as you go, you'll tend to meet nicer people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd recommend the same street as Wudyaquit mentions. It's called Soi Rambutri and it's the best place if you want to stay in and around the main backpacker area.

Suk 11 has a very good communal feel but this is in Sukhumvit where you'd find less backpackers.

Won't be in Bangkok myself at that time unless you decide to stay for a few weeks when I might be back over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I think ill be in bangkok around that time, in phuket at the moment but travelling from bangkok to guangzhou in china on the 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

plonk wrote: »
    I think ill be in bangkok around that time, in phuket at the moment but travelling from bangkok to guangzhou in china on the 23rd.

Sound If your up for a drink that makes 2 of us!:D Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 james1983

Doc wrote: »
    Sound If your up for a drink that makes 2 of us!:D Anyone else?

Won't be in Bangkok/Thailand until Feb 7th but i just wanted to throw my name into the ring as i will be travelling solo and im freaking out about it!

Cheers.

James.

• Advertisement

james1983 wrote: »
    Won't be in Bangkok/Thailand until Feb 7th but i just wanted to throw my name into the ring as i will be travelling solo and im freaking out about it!

Cheers.

James.

I don’t know how long I will be in Bangkok but if I'm still around I'd be happy to meet up with you.

Don’t freak out too much mate there’s going to be lots of people feeling the same as you and me so once you get there and start talking to people I’m sure you’ll be ok. I just thought it would be nice to have some guarantied people to go have a drink with on the first couple of nights.

I don’t know how long I will be in Bangkok but if I'm still around I'd be happy to meet up with you.

Don’t freak out too much mate there’s going to be lots of people feeling the same as you and me so once you get there and start talking to people I’m sure you’ll be ok. I just thought it would be nice to have some guarantied people to go have a drink with on the first couple of nights.

Not sure i feel the same way - im beginning the to think im after doing the daftest thing ever - gave up a reasonably well paid job to travel on my own around the world for 6 months - christ was i mad! My confidence is dwindling by the minute...Jesus i'll never manage 6 months!Ok rant over!

Anyway i'll touch base with this thread closer to the time i am due to arrive in Thailand.

james1983 wrote: »
    Not sure i feel the same way - im beginning the to think im after doing the daftest thing ever - gave up a reasonably well paid job to travel on my own around the world for 6 months - christ was i mad! My confidence is dwindling by the minute...Jesus i'll never manage 6 months!Ok rant over!

Anyway i'll touch base with this thread closer to the time i am due to arrive in Thailand.

Think of it this way in 20 years time what would you regret more giving up work for 6 months or not traveling around the world?

Think of it this way in 20 years time what would you regret more giving up work for 6 months or not traveling around the world?

Oh i fully agree - i know i won't regret this in the future but that is not helping me at the moment with panic attacks!

Ive a thai number so if you want to meet up pm me and ill send you on the number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭June2008

hey myself and another girl will be in bangkok from the end of this month until the 5th of feb if ur still looking for companions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

D and D inn on koh san road is the place to be

plonk wrote: »
    Ive a thai number so if you want to meet up pm me and ill send you on the number.

PM sent!;)

June2008 wrote: »
    hey myself and another girl will be in bangkok from the end of this month until the 5th of feb if ur still looking for companions!

Sure what date will you be there? Defiantly still looking to meet people over there the more the merrier as far as Im concerned!

We need to have a location for the drinks. Anyone know a good spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kingcantona

Heya myself and a friend are gonna be there from the 4th Feb. Staying 5 nights then on to sydney. A friend who was there last year recommeded "My House" popular with backpackers. pity it cant be booked.
    will meet up if still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Ahh pity I would of been well up for drinks but I'm flying out of Bangkok to Hanoi on the 21st. In Ko Phangan at the moment, heading to the Full Moon Party tomorrow night. Should be interesting ;)

In koh samui myself at the moment, going to koh phanang tomorrow for the full moon aswell, if you want to meet for a beer ill pm you my number

Just wanted to see if anyone else was up for this now it closer to the date!

(Nerves are starting to kick in now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gav104

How ya doin,im heading out there on the thursday the 22nd so I'd be up for a having few beers.

I'll probably be staying around the khao san road area.

Gav104 wrote: »
    How ya doin,im heading out there on the thursday the 22nd so I'd be up for a having few beers.

I'll probably be staying around the khao san road area.

If your about Im here and could do with a pint or 7!

• Advertisement

Im here now too so give me a ring if your not up to anything.

Tonights my last night here though.

Where are you staying

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gav104

Im just off the khao san road if either of you two are still knocking about ?

I may have missed you plonk im staying at "my house" near enough to khao san road. Still up for meeting just name the place.

Unfortunately I'm at the airport now, if you are travelling around thailand make sure you go to a place called pai up the north. It was the best place I travelled to in thailand.
    Take it easy and enjoy yourself

Edit. If you go to phuket I'd recommend phuket backpackers cheapest place around phuket town and patong, clean and hot water. Patong is a rip off btw.
    If you go to chaing mai i'd recommend a place called dalteys, pretty cheap, clean and hot water, its near the boxing stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Off all the places I've been in Thailand I probably disliked Pai the most.

Funny how everyone has such differing opinions.

I abandoned all my friends there and went back and waited for them in Chiang Mai. :pac:

Advertisement