Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blue cross vets

• 09-07-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi i'm living in county limerick and was told about a friendly stray cat that needed a home by a friend. I have taken her in, she must've been dumped cos she is litter tray-trained and so good with the children. however she's looking pregnant and as we're on welfare can't really afford kittens too. is there any blue cross vets i can take her to to get neutered? it's kinda urgent, thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

rlchapman wrote: »
    hi i'm living in county limerick and was told about a friendly stray cat that needed a home by a friend. I have taken her in, she must've been dumped cos she is litter tray-trained and so good with the children. however she's looking pregnant and as we're on welfare can't really afford kittens too. is there any blue cross vets i can take her to to get neutered? it's kinda urgent, thanks. :)

you cant get her spayed until shes had her kittens...as far as im aware the blue cross is only in dublin (i could be wrong)
    <snip> would probably take the kittens off you when they are ready to leave mum, they need to be with her in the first few weeks though to feed and learn their cat skills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

dont know about cats but in dogs you can get a pregnany terminated. costs a fortune though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pebbie

Hi rlchapman, you can indeed still have her spayed even when she is in kitten if she isn't gone too far, <snip> might be able to help you out with having her spayed, here is the link of their Face Book Page <snip> If she is as friendly as you say, it would also be worth having her scanned to see if she is micro chipped as she could well be someone's pet Cat. Good Luck and well done for taking her in off the streets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

wow i didnt know vets do that...horrific!

I know it is horrific but if this wasn't done there would be thousands more homeless Cats living on the streets because there is simply not enough homes to go around. You could try get a rescue to take her in and let her have her kittens if she is pregnant. Every where is packed as we are in to the full swing of breeding season right now and it goes on until October time and there will be hundreds of kittens around Ireland looking for homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 rlchapman

thanks for the link pebbie. did try limerick animal welfare sanctuary but as u said they're chocca at the moment. if she has her kittens then we'll deal with it. and i never even thought about her being chipped, will get that checked. thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

lolo62 wrote: »

I know it's a shock but what is far more horrific is the number of unwanted kittens born to die in Ireland through hunger, illness or injury, estimated at about 180,000 per year.

There aren't homes for them all, not to mind homes that will ensure they are neutered so the misery isn't perpetuated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

lolo62 wrote: »

I've seen it done full term too, not nice..

I wouldn't allow a Cat to be done if she was near full term. If you find a pregnant Cat there is so much involved financially. You have their food to buy, you would need to spay the Mammy Cat after she finishes weaning her kittens. The kittens would need regular worming as would Mammy Cat, then the Cat and each one of the kittens would need to be vaccinated and then there's finding homes for them all, this is why vets are asked to go ahead with spaying the Cat anyway. Rlchapman i would also post this on Feral Cats Ireland page, here is the link https://www.facebook.com/pages/Feral-Cats-Ireland/139138139443187. Someone might take in the Mammy Cat there, you will find them through Face Book. PS let us know if you get help with her. I'd take her in a heartbeat for you if i could but i haven't the room here for her.

Advertisement