Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should have gone to Specsavers...

• 25-08-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21 --hughesy--

anyone here need glasses but some reason or another just won't get them...

I'm fairly sure I do need them, but really couldn't see myself wearing them ( no pun intended ):o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

**** makes you go blind eventually.
    Ease off the self love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If you can't see this post, you probably need glasses.

Will most certainly need a pair if i ever want to drive a car, there's no doubt about it.

I've no interest in driving, but would like to get a license anyway, just to have one, so that means I'll have to get glasses. Dread the thoughts of it.

Plus, there a fashion thing now, aren't they? So you have to pick frames and stuff, too? Too much hassle, and if you get a bad looking pair, you look like a silly prick for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Just get laser eye surgery. Is pricey but ultimately works out cheaper than glasses or contact lenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 --hughesy--

strobe wrote: »
    Just get laser eye surgery. Is pricey but ultimately works out cheaper than glasses or contact lenses.

Do you have to have glasses for a certain amount of time before you get laser eye surgery or not? not really liking the idea of contacts as I'm one of those people who dread the thought of touching their eyes :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I have glasses, but think i might need stronger ones. Can't see a thing without them though.

Get contacts if you're that bothered about wearing glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I could probably do with glasses for my left eye, my right eye has 100% sight. Might get them at some stage, but it will only release some sight stress, they wont make me see any (very small difference) better. If i leave it too long my sight could get worse from not using that eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

I lost mine two years ago, never bothered getting another pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Griffen262 wrote: »
    I lost mine two years ago, never bothered getting another pair found them again.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

glasses and contacts for me, cant see a thing without them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Four eyes! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

my physics lecturer says that it doesn't really help much at all unless you're really seriously impaired. and never get it done if you're still young. it burns your cornea off and reshapes it, leaving you with a much thinner cornea that's more prone to damage. and if you're young, your cornea hasn't developed fully yet so you would need to get it done again as your cornea changes shape.

Do contacts hurt at all?

I've heard it takes a while to get used to them, but i've also heard they can become stuck and stuff?

Ironically, I find the injury or a "scratched retina" to be horrifying, so I'm not too keen on trying anything that can endanger me at all. Only one set of eyes, and I am not too fond of the thoughts of anything except my eye lids touching them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

whiteman19 wrote: »
    my physics lecturer says that it doesn't really help much at all unless you're really seriously impaired. and never get it done if you're still young. it burns your cornea off and reshapes it, leaving you with a much thinner cornea that's more prone to damage. and if you're young, your cornea hasn't developed fully yet so you would need to get it done again as your cornea changes shape.

I'd believe it if you'd said biology lecturer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Do contacts hurt at all?

I've heard it takes a while to get used to them, but i've also heard they can become stuck and stuff?

Ironically, I find the injury or a "scratched retina" to be horrifying, so I'm not too keen on trying anything that can endanger me at all. Only one set of eyes, and I am not too fond of the thoughts of anything except my eye lids touching them :(

they can feel uncomfortable at first, of if you where them longer than recommended, or if you go to sleep wearing them (have done this nce or twice)

also, your not going to scratch your retina wearing them, thats on the inside of your eye

I'd believe it if you'd said biology lecturer
    he's professor of optics and is world-renowned for his work. legend of a guy as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

he's professor of optics and is world-renowned for his work. legend of a guy as well :D

Back in my box :P

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

I definately need a new pair of glasses as mine are about fall apart.... well i mean they have been about to fall apart the past 3 years! I really need to go get a new pair! Could explain my migranes!

i wouldn't be able to stand contacts. just the thought of sticking my finger into my eye....*shudders*
    much prefer glasses. makes me look sexy :cool:
    Back in my box :P
    in you go. i'll make sure the lid is secure :P

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

FYP

funnypictureskittenshoe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I went into specsavers for my provisional license eye cert thingy and they convinced me I needed glasses. So, got me two pairs and they've been sitting in the back of my wardrobe ever since. Can't see a thing with them, can see much better without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Wearing glasses full time since I was 9.

Stopped noticing a long, long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 digitalremote

Laser eye surgery only works for properly 3/4 years. How is that cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I wonder if that is really true. I have worn glasses for about 30 years now. Allowing ~€2000 for laser surgery, and even if I inflate what I spent during the 80s and 90s to todays prices, I doubt if I have spent that much on glasses.

Also, won't your eyesight still deteriorate naturally after laser surgery?

So if you are, say 25 and get laser surgery, you may well find yourself either reaching for the specs or back on the laser surgeons couch before you are 50.

There probably are good reasons for some to go with laser surgery but I don't think cost is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Do you have to have glasses for a certain amount of time before you get laser eye surgery or not? not really liking the idea of contacts as I'm one of those people who dread the thought of touching their eyes :eek:

You can get it done any time, so long as you are an adult.

I had it done and have 99.8% vision now. And the cornea for most people is thick enough to do the procedure twice over...it's not like it removes 90% of the cornea. And the cornea will work perfectly fine afterwards. There is a slightly bigger risk of permanent injury only if something scratched the eye badly. Oh, and your cornea is fully grown by age 15/16.
    Laser eye surgery only works for properly 3/4 years. How is that cheaper?
    Not true unless you have some condition which is already causing your eyesight to deteriorate. Once you reach age 50-55, your eyesight does naturally start to deteriorate as well, although fairly slowly.

I'd recommend the procedure 100% if you have less than 85% vision. Painless, not even uncomfortable, and you should get practically perfect vision after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

So if you're short sighted the cornea is thick?
    If your long sighted the Cornea is too thin?

I'm long sighted and was refused Laser Eye Surgery so basically because my Corneas are too thin the Laser can do sweet f all, Correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,865 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just dont wear them to the pubs in Dublin you might get them stolen by some girls looking to try them on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

If you can't see this post, you probably need glasses.

Never mind him! If you can't see this post, you definitely need glasses!

i wouldn't be able to stand contacts. just the thought of sticking my finger into my eye....*shudders*

You are supposed to place the lense on your eye - not stick your finger in it. They are afterall, aids to help eyesight, not items of self harm.

• Advertisement

Bonito wrote: »
    Never mind him! If you can't see this post, you definitely need glasses!

Whatever about glasses, I think you've just made me go deaf.

Advertisement