Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Broadband in Dublin?

• 13-01-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, we all know the broadband service in Ireland isn't as good as abroad, but how do you find yours?

I'm thinking of buying a new broadband line.. Trouble is, other people in my house are happy with the broadband on their phoneline.. so I can't go through the phoneline.. Can you still get cable broadband independent of the phone line? Or even wireless? I want to get a pretty high speed line, between the region of €40 and €60 a month...

Any recommendations?

.ak

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Moved to Broadband Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Terrible. Constant packet loss and 600ms + Pings

Im on Eircom "DSL"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Well UPC will get you 20MB without a phone line for about 50 but I couldn't recommend them. Nobody ever complains about Smart though: http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_package.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

.ak wrote: »
    Well, we all know the broadband service in Ireland isn't as good as abroad, but how do you find yours?

I'm thinking of buying a new broadband line.. Trouble is, other people in my house are happy with the broadband on their phoneline.. so I can't go through the phoneline.. Can you still get cable broadband independent of the phone line? Or even wireless? I want to get a pretty high speed line, between the region of €40 and €60 a month...

Any recommendations?

.ak

Cable is Independent of the phone line yes. Wireless such as digiweb Metro is also. If your looking for high speed advoid any of the Mobile Internet providers (3,Vodafone,02)

Your best option is probably NTL/UPC/CHORUS 20MB , i believe its in the region of 45/50 Euros a month. Not bad for 20MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If Smart is available, that's probably the best overall value in DSL. You could order a 2nd phone line, or try and convince the others in the house of the value of switching.

NTL cable is worth checking out, as would Metro. Neither require a phone line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I'm, overall, very happy with smart.

Stable, reliable, consistently fast, good support and very little need for it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You could always move to smart and just pay your house mates for any cost over what they currently pay. Cheaper for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭trisodioum

http://www.speedtest.net/result/629890197.png

chk that speed Broadband from Ntl UPC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement