Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE unoffical Irish DNA record to be destroyed.

• 12-03-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

So the HSE kept all the new born screening cards, the one which has information and a spot of blood from every child born in Irish hospitals from 1982. And opps they shouldn't have.

They got given out to by the data protection commission and are looking at only keeping them now for 10 years and destroying the old ones. You can how ever request your own one or that of your children by filling in a forum but it must be done by the 31st of March.
    http://newbornscreening.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Think I'll request mine. Is it free?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Out of interest... why would anyone want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

xzanti wrote: »

I just want to see it out of curiosity. I've no plans for it, probably throw it away once I've had a look at it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

mackg wrote: »
    I just want to see it out of curiosity. I've no plans for it, probably throw it away once I've had a look at it.

Suppose it's good 'baby book' fodder if nothing else..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

And who are the irsh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

xzanti wrote: »

listening to newstalk this morning there's invaluable genetic information that can assist with medical research of inherited cconditions or diseases.

Things like sudden adult death syndrome, where those affected are those whose records are getting destroyed.

Worth digging out the last hour of this mornings show(9-10) to listen to.it explained better than I could put it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Heel prick may contain stem cells which you could possibly use in future to regrow your own organs, etc. But mainly it's the genetic thing.

Unfortunately I fall just outside the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Hoop66

And who are the irsh?
    Dunno, but they sound like feckin' foreigners to me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

mackg wrote: »
    Think I'll request mine. Is it free?

It will cost you the price of a phone call to request the forum and the cost of the stamp to send it in.

And who are the irsh?

Irish people like me who have dyslexia if a passing mod could edit the thread title that would be awesome thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Great to see one quango telling another quango what to do with our DNA cards.

Nice to see them earning their keep.

Lapin wrote: »

The samples were collected for a very specific reason and they should have been destroyed once they were used for screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So its just a DNA sample they have kept? Why would you want that back?? If they had sequenced your genome that might be worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

They should use the blood samples to clone an army of Mutant Super Paddys.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Lapin wrote: »

Its actually mainly down to the EU.

Advertisement