Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Podcasts to pass the time

• 21-10-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭

Anyone who is looking for a few football podcasts to pass the time can see the ones I listen to below with a short summary of them. They are in order of my preference.

1/ Guardian Football Weekly (Mon & Thurs)
    Mainly Premier League with decent coverage of Spain & Italy. Occasional French and German updates. Fairly lighthearted. About 45 min usually.

2/ Off the Ball (Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs)
    Mix of Irish, UK with some European/rest of the world features. Fairly lighthearted. About 45 min usually. Good thing about the Off The Ball Pod is that they use some of the better contributors to Guardian and Times for short updates to topical issues.

3/ The Times Game Podcast (Mon)
    More serious & Premier League centred than Guardian or Off the Ball. About 50 min usually.

4/ Off The Ball with John Giles (Thurs)
    Very Premier League centred. About 25 min usually. Similar to Giles on the tv. Used to like this one but seems to be very repetitive these days.

5/ Soccernet Football Podcast (Mon)
    Premier League centred. About 50 min usually. Not bad but find it a bit dull at times :)

6/ Sunday Supplement (Sun!)
    Podcast of the Sunday morning tv show from Sky Sports. Very Premier League & England national team centred. About an hour and 10 min. This one is only for when I am stuck with nothing to listen to.

If anyone thinks I am missing out on anything please let me know :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Football Ramble. Great show, very funny and discusses leagues from countries that are seldom heard over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BBC 5Live World Football Phone In is very good, imo.

It's NOT like 606 or one of them phone-in shows.

Tim Vickery is a regular on it, from South America, and then some other regular speakers from North America and Europe. It's usually on at 3AM Sat morning, and takes callers from all over the world, It's about 1hr25 long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not into football myself, but I've heard Alan Davies's podcast is worth a punt. Don't know if it's Arsenal-centric or more general.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I listen to the Football Ramble, Football Weekly, BBC Radio 5 Live Football Daily and True Faith (Newcastle United podcast).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The Football Pubcast is four blokes sitting in the pub during their lunch break and chatting about football.

Can be quite entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Black Oil wrote: »
    Not into football myself, but I've heard Alan Davies's podcast is worth a punt. Don't know if it's Arsenal-centric or more general.

Thats called The Tuesday Club. Yeah it’s an Arsenal podcast but I'm not an Arsenal fan and enjoy listening to it. It's more light hearted then anything too serious so anyone can tune in. Was pretty hilarious on there when Arsenal were going through that bad spell at the start of the season.

For any Liverpool fans Id recommend The Anfield Wrap. Good mix of serious discussions which can get very in depth but its all mixed with good humour. Rafa Benitez was even on a Ep recently. A must for pool fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 electrojim

Ive listened to guardian podcast for about 5 years now and its wained recently. Started to put average writers on such as Greg Roughley, Paul Mcinnes to name a few. I think Ken Early and Eoin McDevitt are fantastic. They have great chemistry on air and are both entertaining and very knowledgable about the game. They ask v good questions to the guests too

extratime.ie have recently launched a podcast, League of Ireland stuff, decent enough first episode.

Des wrote: »
    extratime.ie have recently launched a podcast, League of Ireland stuff, decent enough first episode.

Gave it a listen the other day. Not too bad and I reckon it'll probably be more regular than the RTE Airtricity podcast.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Gave it a listen the other day. Not too bad and I reckon it'll probably be more regular than the RTE Airtricity podcast.

The ET one is fortnightly, according to their website, the RTE one is out every Monday ususally.

The RTE one is actually just a Digital Radio show

• Advertisement

The ET one is fortnightly, according to their website, the RTE one is out every Monday ususally.

The RTE one is actually just a Digital Radio show

Oh. I was subsribed to their podcast but didn't seem to be updating for weeks so just unsubscribed from it.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Oh. I was subsribed to their podcast but didn't seem to be updating for weeks so just unsubscribed from it.

Well yeah, it wouldn't be on in the close season.

The show is broadcast on one of the RTRE Digital channels before MNS on the Monday, then is available either later that night, or on the Tuesaday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The Anfield Wrap is a good one for Liverpool fans. Off the ball podcast too is very good. #

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

what time does The Guardian Football Weekly be available at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Normally sometime in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

The game podcast can be a bit too serious at times but then again that marcotti chap doesnt sound like a guy who enjoys a laugh.

neris wrote: »
    The game podcast can be a bit too serious at times but then again that marcotti chap doesnt sound like a guy who enjoys a laugh.

I hate his nasally voice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

are there any podcasts on spanish football in english. prefrebly one where the whole podcast isnt dominated by real or barca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Instead of the off the ball podcast I go to the newstalk archive and listen back to the whole show! Love it. Have it on at my desk in work or when I'm making dinner each day if I get a chance. Too busy most evenings to catch it.

Marcotti drove me crazy. Listened to the times for about a year. He is worse than a teenager when he disagrees with someone and wants to 'debate' a point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There's 5 live specials as well..radio programmes turned into podcasts.

Beware, not always football, but good long discussions and shows. One 90 minute show about Ireland under Charlton this week and discussion about Ireland's chances at the upcoming championship. Think there's another separate one about England as well.

Great 90 minute programme last week about Hansie Cronje if you're into other sports, Epsom, the Olympics too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

The guardian euro podcasts are quiet good

talkingpj wrote: »
    The guardian euro podcasts are quiet good

as are the Football Ramble ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

The downloads of Football Weekly are usually recorded on Monday morning and available from Monday evening on (depending on Producer Ben's mood). The Thursday one (known as Extrrrrrraaaaaa) is usually available after 6 as well I think. There will be the occasional Sunday live special and they are always worth watching out for.

The Fiver is a daily email sent by mainly the same crew, a squint through a jaundiced eye at the world of football. Worth signing up for also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

as are the Football Ramble ones.

Just started listening to these during the Euros. Very good. Great profiles. Working my way through the back catalogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Football Ramble was back yesterday .

Football weekly is back on the 20th i think , they should have done a preview of the season this thursday .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone else having problems downloading the Game (from the Times with Marcotti) on iTunes?? Doesn't seem to be working for me....prefer Football Weekly and Off the Ball but it's generally worth a listen

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems downloading the Game (from the Times with Marcotti) on iTunes?? Doesn't seem to be working for me....prefer Football Weekly and Off the Ball but it's generally worth a listen

It's been dodgy for me for ages, the RSS Feed is constantly changing, so I just unsubbed.

I never really liked it that much anyway, Gab Marcotti is extremely annoying, and the other regular guests were nowhere near the quality of the Guardian guests, or even the Sunday Supplement regulars.

Tony Cascasrino ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I'd recommend the Whistleblowers podcast for anyone who like The Football Ramble. Has a similar light hearted, mates hanging out kind of vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Beyond the Pitch can have its moments...some decent interviews in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sivousplait

The Guardian football extra is very good. Barry Glendenning can be a bit annoying though...I know they go for a light-hearted feel but he always comes across as being a bit arrogant and obnoxious when it comes to football topics. Rather lethargic in his answers if you get me!

Is there a good podcast for united fans by the way? I've seen some on itunes but not sure if they are any use.

Advertisement