Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

That_Guy wrote: »
    Man On A Ledge:

Not a bad film overall. It reminded me of 'Inside Man' a little bit. I found it got a bit ridiculous towards the end in the final third but it started off very well and was very gripping.

I'm not Sam Worthington's biggest fan. I find him quite bland but he wasn't that bad in this.

Story is decent, suspense is eh... suspensful :pac: but just loses it's way towards the end I feel.

Worth a watch though.

Is this possibly the film where the fabled "Sam worthington stars in a movie and doesn't do THAT scream or roar"??

"I am a terminator........YYYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH"
    "I am the son of zeus......YYYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH"
    "I am an alien blue cat thing.....YYYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

kryogen wrote: »
    Watched Seven tonight, still stands up against any of the modern thrillers out there, brilliant film.

Pitt is very good in it and Freeman is, well Freeman is himself, as always! Class performance, and Spacey is quality too.

Almost enjoyed it as much tonight as the first time I saw it, I was extremely jealous of the girlfriend as it was her first time seeing it :)

I'll spoiler this just in case.
    I remember reading an interview years ago with Kevin Spacey, and he was saying he had to actually fight to have his name removed from the Se7en posters and billboards, because people would know if his name was on the posters and he hadnt shown up after 30 minutes, he was going to be the killer. I wonder in the history of cinema how many actors would have put that much thought into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I'll spoiler this just in case.
    I remember reading an interview years ago with Kevin Spacey, and he was saying he had to actually fight to have his name removed from the Se7en posters and billboards, because people would know if his name was on the posters and he hadnt shown up after 30 minutes, he was going to be the killer. I wonder in the history of cinema how many actors would have put that much thought into it?

I remember that myself, brilliant thinking on his part obviously, it was far more important for the success of the film
    to have his identity concealed to make it more of a shock factor or at least more of a mystery than to have him up there as a named star.

It just worked so much better and
    was beautifully unselfish!

As good a reason as any to say I love Kevin Spacey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Went through a few films last night:

The Mexican
    I thought all of the characters in this film were unsympathetic arseholes (except maybe James Gandolfini's hitman). The chemistry between Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts really rubbed me up the wrong way, and all Gandolfini and Roberts' scenes talking about love just felt so forced. A terribly acted film IMHO.

Harry Brown
    While this film did get a bit silly towards the end, I thought Michael Caine was amazing in it. He's such a familiar face and voice that sometimes it's easy to forget what a fantastic actor he really is.

Schindler's List
    Well, I've seen it loads of times but still a fantastic film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Drive
    Liked it a lot soundtrack I felt was very 80's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Girlfriend wanted to choose a movie instead so we watched The Ex (2006) with Zach Braff and Jason Bateman.

Predictable muck where Braff has to convince everyone that Bateman is an asshole trying to get with his wife while at the same time screwing everything up in an oh-so hilarious fashion...................but he eventually corrects everything and everyone is happy.

Watchmen - The Director's Cut

Seen this before but thought I'd watch it again. For what it was (and knowing nothing of the source material) I still enjoyed the film, though the soundtrack was a bit odd in some parts. Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach's segments are probably the most entertaining parts of this long-ass movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Watchmen - The Director's Cut

Seen this before but thought I'd watch it again. For what it was (and knowing nothing of the source material) I still enjoyed the film, though the soundtrack was a bit odd in some parts. Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach's segments are probably the most entertaining parts of this long-ass movie.

Watchmen has the honour of having some of the best and worst soundtracky bits in one film. Contrast the great opening with The Times They Are A-Changin' by Bob Dylan, with the excruciatingly awful choice of Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen during the sex scene. (The character wasn't able to get it up, and then could get it up. And then you hear Hallelujah in background? Ugh.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I remember that myself, brilliant thinking on his part obviously, it was far more important for the success of the film
    to have his identity concealed to make it more of a shock factor or at least more of a mystery than to have him up there as a named star.

That and it meant he didn't have to do the press junket for the film! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Watchmen was a terrible movie with little to no redeeming aspects. Hate it hate it hate it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

3-Iron - unusual South Korean romance. A subtle film with extended patches of complete silence (the female lead doesn't say a word). The film takes a fairly significant tonal shift in the final act towards semi-surreal fantasy, but it still mostly works. Not really what I was expecting from the director of Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter but a very characteristic, involving film for sure.

Revenge: A Love Story - a Hong Kong film that has an identity crisis that's evident even in the title alone. It has quite a few interesting ideas and the overall structure and story is fairly diverting (except for a misjudged last minute reversal into ambiguity). But there's a conflicted morality to the film - it asks us to sympathise with characters whose actions are ultimately every bit as disturbed and deplorable as the 'villains' that occupy the piece. It makes a somewhat awkward film, albeit one whose novel approach makes it moderately interesting. Still, far from the most accomplished 'revenge' movie to emerge from East Asia in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Chronicle:

If you're going to see this, you should probably go in without having seen the trailer or TV spots beforehand. It gives far too much of the story away in my opinion and you're left with no surprise whatsoever come the end of it.

It starts off quite well. I'm not a big fan of the "found footage" gimmick bar Cloverfield and I feel it could have done without it. The use of the camera works well at the beginning but by the end it becomes quite ridiculous and loses its sense of authenticity.

I enjoyed the start and certain parts of the middle but I was more annoyed with the trailer basically giving everything away. Bad call on the producers fault there methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Killer Elite the Brazilian version not the Jason Statham one.

Produced or Directed or in some way connected with some dude that had something to do with City of God:D

Anyway The Killer elite are the badass mofo's that get called in when the brown stuff hits the fan, and the regular cops aren't up to the task.

I loved it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

weiland79 wrote: »
    Killer Elite the Brazilian version not the Jason Statham one.

Produced or Directed or in some way connected with some dude that had something to do with City of God:D

Anyway The Killer elite are the badass mofo's that get called in when the brown stuff hits the fan, and the regular cops aren't up to the task.

I loved it.

I think you mean Elite Squad, not Killer Elite. Check out the sequel. It's just as good, but focuses more on the politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Didn't know that but do I remember being shocked and awed in the cinema when he did appear on screen. This was only the 1st or second film I'd seen him in. Cant remeber if I saw The Usual Suspects 1st or not but I remember thinking what a great actor.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Didn't know that but do I remember being shocked and awed in the cinema when he did appear on screen. This was only the 1st or second film I'd seen him in. Cant remeber if I saw The Usual Suspects 1st or not but I remember thinking what a great actor.

I don't see the big deal with him keeping his name off the posters, it doesn't make a difference to the enjoyment of the film knowing the actor
    that plays John Does
    since he's not actually physically involved in proceedings until he turns himself in, its of no consequence to the story who plays him its what happens
    regarding Gwyneth Paltrows head
    that is the real twist. Its different in a film such as the usual suspects for example where it could be any of the characters in the film. Besides Spacey was not quite a household name yet when Seven came out i thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Code of silence - Chuck Norris' worst movie but still watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

SCARFACE

A film which still delivers the goods every time I see it.

One of the ultimate gangster films which ranks alongside
    GET CARTER, THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY and ONCE UPON A
    TIME IN AMERICA for being a benchmark definitive.

Wonderful long drawn out stuff. An epic.

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

i saw the good the bad and the weird,fantastic movie thats basically a homage to the good the bad and the ugly.people on this website had recomended this film amd im glad i taped it.the chase scene near the end of the film was amazing,it reminded me of mad max 2.its a shame rte didnt put this film at a more accessible time because i think there would have been a big audience for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

The Towering Infereno Love this movie. It never ceases to amaze me just how many famous people are actually in this flick! They just keep appearing!!

But apart from that its still a rollicking good movie! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

oopps... double post. I hiccuped as I press "submit" must have double clicked! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just watched The Apartment, up there with Lemmon's best such as The Odd Couple and Some Like It Hot, hilarious with a bit of drama thrown in, Shirley Mc Claine is gorgeous in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

+1 for the Towering Inferno - I love it!!!

Watched Star Wars Ep VI last night which brings to an end my Star Wars saga. I found the end to be a little anti climactic to be honest. Ep VI is the best of them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

baseline dodgey british gangster film 4/10
    goon trailer was the best part 3/10
    the runway not bad, about a columbian that crashes a plane in mallow, all the locals get together to rebuild the plane and make a runway, bit cheesy but ok 6/10
    take shelter, not what i was expecting 4/10
    halfway through Coriolanus now good film so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭conorhal

3-Iron - unusual South Korean romance. A subtle film with extended patches of complete silence (the female lead doesn't say a word). The film takes a fairly significant tonal shift in the final act towards semi-surreal fantasy, but it still mostly works. Not really what I was expecting from the director of Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter but a very characteristic, involving film for sure.

I was intrigued by the films clever premise, a guy that lives ‘off the grid’ by breaking into the homes of people who are on holidays, but as an ‘ethical Buddhist burglar’, once inside he makes up for his intrusion by doing the washing and performing odd-job repairs about the house. Then one day he breaks into a house that’s occupied by the downtrodden and abused wife of a successful businessman who is as withdrawn from the world as he is.
    I absolutely loved the film, it was exactly what I expected from the director of utterly beautiful Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, in that it is deeply imbued with the same Buddhist sensibilities. Both films feature lead characters that have been damaged by their interaction with the world and chosen to withdraw from it. I though the ending was also beautifully poetic, but not really a semi-surreal fantasy,
    if you look closely you'll notice that the scales were fixed so that when they both stepped on it they would equal zero

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

3-Iron is possibly my favourite of Ki-duk's films. I thought the ending was perfect, especially the final scene. I hate the title though. The Korean title translates as Empty Houses which would have been far more fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Got the Alien blu ray anthology so watched Alien last night. It is a testament to this film that even after watching it so many times that you could act in it there are certain points where you will still jump. The film still holds up really well after THIRTY THREE years :eek:

Introduced a friend to Downfall the other day. Think I have mentioned this film on this thread before but I really like this it, it's a gritty bleak look at the last days of hitler and the third reich. My friend was as blown away as I was the first time I watched it.

Tonight it will be the blu ray of Aliens to see how it looks, "Game over man!!" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

High anxiety - Mel Brooks' homage to Hitchcock. It was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Source Code, quite an enjoyable sci fi thriller,(more fantasy than science based though) kind of figured out the main spoiler in first 15 mins, nevertheless Jones is one to watch in the upcoming directors stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Cobra: For me is in the top 3 alongside Rocky and First Blood. The film is 27 years old and doesn’t look dated, Stallone looks as cool as fock. Killer shades and a match stick hanging out at all times.

Drives a mean looking ride, the license plate reads “Awsom 50”. You can stick your arty farty films where the sun doesn't shine when there’s one liners like this.

Villain – Get back, I got a bomb here. I’ll blow the whole place up.
    Stallone – Go ahead, I don’t shop here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Cobra: For me is in the top 3 alongside Rocky and First Blood. The film is 27 years old and doesn’t look dated, Stallone looks as cool as fock. Killer shades and a match stick hanging out at all times.

Drives a mean looking ride, the license plate reads “Awsom 50”. You can stick your arty farty films where the sun doesn't shine when there’s one liners like this.

Villain – Get back, I got a bomb here. I’ll blow the whole place up.
    Stallone – Go ahead, I don’t shop here.

332878.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement