Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do y'all think of diesel cars??

• 19-02-2012 1:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭

Is there a hidden disadvantage? Am I missing something??

They apparently get "more miles to the gallon" .. and afaik, a litre of petrol is pretty much the same as a litre of diesel .... cheaper road tax for GOD only knows why ...

Same question with electric cars .. IMO cars are for smelly hippies :P cant go very fast afaik ..( <= 100 kph) not a great range, shíte acceleration, and if you run out in the middle of the arse end of Ireland, you are féckéd if there is only petrol stations, whereas most rural areas atleast have a petrol station .... and if all comes to all I'm sure some kind samaritan would kindly let you syfon some petrol from their tank :P ..but from what I gather e-cars can only be charged at designated points ..and not even from mains :eek:

so in conclusion ::

what do y'all think of e cars?
    what do y'all think of diesel cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

i_am_job wrote: »
    Is there a hidden disadvantage? Am I missing something??

They apparently get "more miles to the gallon" .. and afaik, a litre of petrol is pretty much the same as a litre of diesel .... cheaper road tax for GOD only knows why ...

Same question with electric cars .. IMO cars are for smelly hippies :P cant go very fast afaik ..( <= 100 kph) not a great range, shíte acceleration, and if you run out in the middle of the arse end of Ireland, you are féckéd if there is only petrol stations, whereas most rural areas atleast have a petrol station .... and if all comes to all I'm sure some kind samaritan would kindly let you syfon some petrol from their tank :P ..but from what I gather e-cars can only be charged at designated points ..and not even from mains :eek:

so in conclusion ::

What is the point of this post? All these issues discussed to death already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Stop gap.

The future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭kirving

Same question with electric cars .. IMO cars are for smelly hippies :P cant go very fast afaik ..( <= 100 kph) not a great range, shíte acceleration

I guess you haven't heard of Tesla Motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

There is no such thing as a "diesel car", they're called Tractors.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

Diesel cars take longer to get up to operating temperature, and are better for longer journeys.

They're more expensive to buy.

Torque is nice, but it can take a while for the turbo to spin up. And the fun ends quickly since there's so few RPM's to play with

Electric's.

Grand until some scrote pulls the charging cable while you're at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Diesel = Fuel of the Devil! ;)

Are you thinking of changing your car OP? What sort of driving (local / motorway) do you do and how many miles / km per year?

A petrol engine is generally more simple than modern diesels. I.e., a diesel has more components like turbo, DMF, DPF, etc and more parts = more to go wrong. Buying a 1.5 diesel to bring the kids to school is a waste of time when you weigh up fuel savings vs potential maintenance costs. Buying a 2L diesel vs a 2L petrol when doing 20k km/yr on longer drives is a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Dartz wrote: »
    Grand until some scrote pulls the charging cable while you're at work.

The cables are lockable, but anybody who watched top gear the other day might try to do it anyway "for a laff" and end up doing some damage.

http://www.thechargingpoint.com/news/Is-Top-Gear-encouraging-fans-to-unplug-electric-cars.html

The cables are lockable, but anybody who watched top gear the other day might try to do it anyway "for a laff" and end up doing some damage.

http://www.thechargingpoint.com/news/Is-Top-Gear-encouraging-fans-to-unplug-electric-cars.html

They'd want to be lockable.

There's also the liability issue if they tresspass on my property, unhook the car by force and somehow manage to electrocute themselves with it.

I'm trying to think of the lowest common denominator.

You know what judges are like in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

They'd want to be lockable.

There's also the liability issue if they tresspass on my property, unhook the car by force and somehow manage to electrocute themselves with it.

I'm trying to think of the lowest common denominator.

You know what judges are like in this country.

You'd have to make sure there's enough voltage to dispatch them, it's only surviving trespassers that will sue you.
    In the German army we where told to either let trespassers run away, or to make sure they cannot lodge a complaint or sue afterwards. But also, not to be so obvious as to pump the entire clip into them on rapid fire from 2 meters away!:D

You'd have to make sure there's enough voltage to dispatch them, it's only surviving trespassers that will sue you.
    In the German army we where told to either let trespassers run away, or to make sure they cannot lodge a complaint or sue afterwards. But also, not to be so obvious as to pump the entire clip into them on rapid fire from 2 meters away!:D

Was this before or after the war?:eek::eek::eek::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

if electric cars ever become popular, surely they will be taxed to death like everything else

Notch000 wrote: »
    if electric cars ever become popular, surely they will be taxed to death like everything else

Only 48 EV's were registered here last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Diesel cars take longer to get up to operating temperature, and are better for longer journeys.

They're more expensive to buy.

Torque is nice, but it can take a while for the turbo to spin up. And the fun ends quickly since there's so few RPM's to play with

Not entirely so.

Operating temp in my car is 90 deg. to which it is advised to keep it under 2.5k rpm

@ 2.5k rpm I am doing over the motorway speed limit so no problem here.

As for turbo spooling up?? Not a problem there..Spools up just fine.. and can rev out to 5k..at which my car would be doing over 150mph..
    Not bad for a duzel :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭i_am_job

vectra wrote: »
    Not entirely so.

Operating temp in my car is 90 deg. to which it is advised to keep it under 2.5k rpm

As for turbo spooling up?? Not a problem there..Spools up just fine.. and can rev out to 5k..at which my car would be doing over 150mph..

WHAT TYPE OF CAR IS THAT?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Pic is under my username :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Please, this thread is a big enough pain in the face already without you shouting in the middle of it.

The OP made no sense and the thread hasn't really improved since. It seems to one of a plague of nonsense threads started in motors recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

mathepac wrote: »
    Please, this thread is a big enough pain in the face already without you shouting in the middle of it.

The OP made no sense and the thread hasn't really improved since. It seems to one of a plague of nonsense threads started in motors recently.

I find the plague of pointless posts instead of reports much more annoying tbh. If there's an issue, report it. Its much more beneficial to the forum than moaning about it.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Was this before or after the war?:eek::eek::eek::cool:

Hey, I'm not that old!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Boring yokes. I'd much rather drive a car with a small petrol engine. Like that Fiat 500 with a 2cyl engine or similar efficient petrol engine, actually the MPI isn't bad but newer petrol engines are more efficient again.

Miniscule torque band, all the extra ****e they added to diesel engines over the years that makes them more troublesome than petrol engines

Electric cars would be nice but the simple fact is that the batteries that are actually available to buy right now just don't last long enough and cost too much. Even if they fixed that I'd want a nice petrol sports car with manual box to go for a taer in now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

vectra wrote: »
    Not entirely so.

The operating temp is the same, but diesels do take longer to get there. And they're like a cranky toddler when cold, noisy and reluctant!
    And 1800rpm to just under 5k rpm isn't exactly a fantastic rev-range!! Off-boost they are pathetic too. All diesels should be auto.

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    All diesels should be auto.
    ]

They shouldn't exist at all. Damn thing constantly changing gear. I know someone with a ML270 CDI. Biggest heap of sh*t ever

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So far 11 years of owning a car, and I never chanced it with a diesel.
    Petrol (or few times LPG) was always a way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭SeanW

E cars are a joke, battery technology is pathetic and the battery replaces a cheap fuel tank with an expensive battery. Bye bye to motoring for anyone who is not wealthy or middle class (no more being able to get pre-owned cars for €1000-€2000), and bye bye to any kind of long distance car travel because the batteries are sh**e.

They will only ever be a distant 2nd best option when/if liquid/chemical fuels cease to be viable.
    Love them. My ride is a 99 Avensis, diesel, an absolute joy to drive. Cost me just over a grand, sips fuel, cruises nicely on long drives, carries a ton of stuff, never broke down etc.

Modern diesels however have much more hifalutan pollution control systems, e.g. Diesel Particulate Filters, these are somewhat unstable and can cost big €€€s to fix.
    Ah yes, because everyone has €100,000 to spare ...

SeanW wrote: »

Ah yes, because everyone has €100,000 to spare ...

and another 20k for a new battery in 5-6 years when the thing falls below acceptable range. thats even if you don't use it much

eth0 wrote: »
    and another 20k for a new battery in 5-6 years when the thing falls below acceptable range. thats even if you don't use it much

Liquid battery.

Solves everything. Recharged by draining the old electrolyte, and filling it with fresh. Old electrolyte can be purified and recharged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

be lucky to have a car like that mainstream by 2022 to the general public, so for the moment e cars for me are a no no.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    The operating temp is the same, but diesels do take longer to get there. And they're like a cranky toddler when cold, noisy and reluctant!
    And 1800rpm to just under 5k rpm isn't exactly a fantastic rev-range!! Off-boost they are pathetic too. All diesels should be auto.

Mine seems to pull just fine from just under 1k revs, where most petrols don't exactly do well.
    So 1k to 5k revs, that'll do me!
    You can drive it just on torque, from 1k revs to 2k revs through town.
    A lot of smaller petrols need their nuts revved off to get anything out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Mine seems to pull just fine from just under 1k revs, where most petrols don't exactly do well.
    So 1k to 5k revs, that'll do me!
    You can drive it just on torque, from 1k revs to 2k revs through town.
    A lot of smaller petrols need their nuts revved off to get anything out of them.
    I'd say mine starts from 1200-1300 rpm or so. Then the awesomeness (:p) of the TDI kicks in at about 1500 and the planet rotates the other way.

I was always an anti-diesel chap until I test drove a few a year or so. Diesels really have come on in the past few years, and have come a long long way since the n/a (and some early turbo) "tractors" of the 90's imo.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I'd say mine starts from 1200-1300 rpm or so. Then the awesomeness (:p) of the TDI kicks in at about 1500 and the planet rotates the other way.

I was always an anti-diesel chap until I test drove a few a year or so. Diesels really have come on in the past few years, and have come a long long way since the n/a (and some early turbo) "tractors" of the 90's imo.

Had an '04 Focus TDDI van once, zero power from idle to 2k revs, went nuts from 2k to 4k revs and ran out of puff again above that.
    So, 2k to 4k rpm of usable power, needed to be stirred a lot. The 1.8 TDCI is a lot more well spread.
    Don't think an autobox would be an improvement, since they almost always disagree with what I think the car should do.
    Friend once had a MKII Gold TDI in the 80's, seemed to be an ok thing to drive for the time.
    Most people had a 1.6 diesel non turbo back then, it was a revelation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Go test drive a BMW 535D which is probably the best diesel car on the market.

Twin turbo, 0-60 is 6.1 seconds and still can do 40+ mpg.

Advertisement