Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAQ: Analogue, DTT, Aerials

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

BostonB wrote: »
    Are there any cheap DTT Set stop boxes that would work just for DTT on the old CRT TV. Seems a shame to replace a decent CRT to get a tuner.

ALL Saorview/"Freeview HD" do if you have SCART. Even down converts the HD.

If you only have RF, then you need to go via SCART in on a VHS, select monitor AV on VHS and tune to VHS channel on TV.

Channel change then on the DVB-T or DVB-T2 MPEG4 set-box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ah, ok. see what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

http://us.cdn2.123rf.com/168nwm/margojh/margojh0708/margojh070800057.jpg

We have an old aerial like the one above on my house. Would that be any good for receiving saorview? What kind of cables fittings do you use for these aerials? Would UPC cabling be any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

That's a VHF aerial, so no use for Saorview. Generally speaking, cable with braid and foil shield is used (copper wire, braid & shield is best).
    Don't know what UPC use.

UPC use an "RG6".
    Except for the Trunk which resembles a young water main.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Having read through a lot of the excellent advice and details and tech busting that abounds here I've reached the conclusion that the easiest way to avail of DTT is picking up a TV that has an MPEG4 tuner. I'm between one of the Sony Bravia's or Phillips (32" or 37") listed on the TV's with MPEG4 decoder thread myself.

This handily (from what I understand) negates the need for an STB etc. Question is though, what about the recording side of it? The Argus and one or two others take an external HDD, surely (And sorry for calling you surely by the way) it would be easier to pick up a DVD / HDD recorder from Samsung / LG etc and avoid the unneccessary extra outlay for a larger box just for it's PVR capabilities?

Or am I missing it completely?

Dunno. Something like this?

http://www.electrotown.co.uk/buy/Humax-Freesat-HD-Recorder-FOXSATHDR
    Humax FOXSATHDR - Freesat HD Recorder

Click to enlarge image
    Satellite HD Digital Television Recorder
    freesat HD and SD channel recording
    Simultaneous viewing of one channel and recording another channel
    Record 2 channels at the same time
    Receive HDTV signals (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and MPEG-2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I have one of those myself. Good for satellite only - no DTT.

Though if it had MPEG-4 it would be ok?

BostonB wrote: »
    Though if it had MPEG-4 it would be ok?
    Yes it has MPEG-4, but it is a satellite receiver (for Freesat). It has no terrestrial (aerial) connection.

• Advertisement

Doh - are there any DVD/HD boxes with DTT ?

I can't point you at the exact thread, but I'm pretty sure I have seen posts that indicate most DVD recorders with digital tuners are MPEG-2 only. Humax do a terrestrial pvr - google "Humax T2 PVR", but it is terrestrial only and there's no guarantee that things like series link will work on it in the Saorview system. A lot of people are in the wait and see mode as regards PVR purchases. Otherwise you are into researching DTT & Sat combo boxes (there's a sticky!), but then again these boxes are compromises, vary hugely in quality and support.

The only DTT DVD recorders are really not suitable. I don't know of any that do MPEG4 or HD reception.

Because DVDs are only meant to have MPEG2 on them, not meant to do HD at all. Also an HD movie on a 4.3G DVD is pushing it. DVD players that claim MPEG4 are not playing DVD videos, but PC files on DVD in xVid/DivX etc type formats. Not normally HD either.

BD (Blu Ray) recorders + Hard Drive is your only likely thing.

Saorview is MPEG4 AND HD, minimum.

The Tesco (£200) and Humax "Freeview HD" HDR / "Freeview+ HD" / HD Recorders do "work*" on Saorview (DVB-T2 is backward compatible to DVB-T). No idea if "series link" will work as we don't know how or if RTE NL will do it.

Unlike Analogue, Digital Tuner recorders do not encode. They simply record the data as it is. So playback is same as Live TV. Broadcast DVB formats don't match DVD formats (or BD either) as they are more flexible. So HDD (hard drive is prefered method). In "saving" from a HDD to a BDR (BluRay recordable) non-realtime fixup of errors and possibly (?) transcoding can be done.

(* possibly more problematic if you are receiving Freeview also. Also while it will do all the Audio & Video, MHEG5 text, there are likely subtle issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Must be high pressure weather conditions but ROI DTT coming through loud and clear here in Moira, NI today with no breakup whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dohertg5

Hey, could anyone enlighten me as to what kind of aerial(s) this may be? We recently got a new tv (Samsung LE32C530) that is capable of receiving saorview but at the moment it is only picking up analogue signals. Are both of these aerials vhf (or is it just one aerial?). I'm confused!

ps. I'm in Fanad, Co. Donegal which I think is around 30km as the crow flies from the Holywell Hill transmitter.

ibkAUQ.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Both aerials are UHF, the one on the left is a broadband vertically polarised 'bow-tie' type. The other is a yagi type also vertically polarised, but looks highend, maybe C/D looks contract quality).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Do you get a good tv3 on analogue now as that would be a good proxy for soarview as tv3 is only on that transmitter(HH) round northern donegal . also if both ariels are vertically polarised that could be the problem,while the transmitter in fanad is vertical the transmitter in holywell hill is horizontal(maybe your pointed at different transmitter). Depending on the expense it wouldn't be worth upgrading an aerial because in the short to medium term fanad will hopefully be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

Not sure if I'm on the right thread but trying to figure out a problem.

Trying to help a friend with a Samsung digital TV and they have good analogue TV reception on all four Irish channels via a 2 aerial combination which is outdoors and had an UHF aerial similar to the outdoor one in post #4 above. The aerials are also serving another TV which receives analogue only.

I've been interested in the DTT thing since I found out about it and have scanned for digital channels on their TV a number of times to no avail.

They are located in North Tipperary.

There is no digital reception on the TV on either an automatic or manual scan and the analogue channels are received always.

Unfortunately I don't know which transmitter it's pointed at. The aerial is pointed on a rough east west alignment and could be pointed at either Carlow or Limerick. I know the closest transmitter is on the Devil's Bit mountain but it's a booster for Co. Clare I've always been told.

Not all Digital TVs are compatible.

Whats the TV model number and does it have the right tuner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

Tis a Samsung LE32B450C4W and from what i can figure out on this and other threads that telly is compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 chelskifan

Hi All and Happy New Year.
    Hope you can advise.
    I have what I thougth was a 'fairly ok' RTE1/2/tv3 (no TG4) analogue signal in Swords using a W contract loft aerial(Horizntal and no amp) pointed at 3 Rock. RTE1 is the better of the three,with RTE 2 -2nd best and TV3(snowy/color/good sound).
    I connected up a 20" Walker yesterday but digital signal is at zero. The analogue signal for RTE1 is about 80%, rte2/tv3 is only showing about 20%. I had planned to change to a C/D aerial either way but I thought that even with the W one I would have got some digital reception. I tried both an automatic scan and entered the frequencies manually but no joy. Is the W aerial just not suitable or am I maybe doing something wrong?? Cable run is direct (about 4 metres long) with no kinks or joins.

Thanks
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's very suprising. In the attic is the aerial pointing SSE and with no water tanks etc in the way? and are you located higher up in Swords or down in the likes of Applewood etc? Do you have any large obstacles between you and the horizon to your southeast? E.g. an apartment block across the road etc.

Have you made sure that the inner core and outer braid of the coaxial cable are not touching off each other at any stage? In the aerial itself, the braid should connect to one terminal and the coaxial copper core to another terminal and they mustn't touch. Otherwise the signal will be "shorted" and the signal severely reduced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The DTT signal from 3Rock is on Ch54, which is adjacent to TG4. If you are not getting TG4, you you might need a different wide-band aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭upsilon

Has anybody experience the Mheg5 service on the irish DTT? I've got a receiver WITHOUT MHEG5 and I get very slow EPG. Is there any "midwave" service currently provided?
    is this equivalent to color buttons on bbc service?
    thanks

That's very suprising. In the attic is the aerial pointing SSE and with no water tanks etc in the way? and are you located higher up in Swords or down in the likes of Applewood etc? Do you have any large obstacles between you and the horizon to your southeast? E.g. an apartment block across the road etc.

Have you made sure that the inner core and outer braid of the coaxial cable are not touching off each other at any stage? In the aerial itself, the braid should connect to one terminal and the coaxial copper core to another terminal and they mustn't touch. Otherwise the signal will be "shorted" and the signal severely reduced.

Hi TBC,
    On the Forrest Rd but down low. Nothing but end-wall and some trees. Aerial
    pointing SSE with good connections. have put in several dishes for family so
    familiar with the connections (BUT.. thanks though for reminding me to check again). Sam's point though 'might' be more of an indicator. Will check connections again and replace aerial anyway.

chelskifan wrote: »
    Hi TBC,
    On the Forrest Rd but down low. Nothing but end-wall and some trees. Aerial
    pointing SSE with good connections. have put in several dishes for family so
    familiar with the connections (BUT.. thanks though for reminding me to check again). Sam's point though 'might' be more of an indicator. Will check connections again and replace aerial anyway.
    If you can't even scan in new channels from Three Rock, a new aerial simply won't offer enough gain to give reliable breakup-free reception unless you get a massive yagi like a triax Unix 52 etc, and a preamp too if you used anything more than 4 metres.

I live in Louth and even then I can pick up Three rock through a gable wall in the attic on a contract aerial but there is some breakup in spots. I found wide variations in signal depending on where in the attic the aerial was, despite there being no obvious differences in location. Try moving the aerial around in the attic and test the signal that way. How is the aerial fastened in the attic currently?

TBC...It's lying across the rafters. I'm going to try an amplified indoor to see what result I get. There may well be something (break IN the cable ??) that I'm not aware of that's causing it. Will let you know in a day or so.:)

If you have a small TV, go up in the attic and get the aerial giving a good signal to that on TG4 if it is not DTT enabled. Then try the same TV at the other end of the cable. There should be no difference. If there is, cable fault. If you can't get TG4, then get a wideband aerial like a log-periodic.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

chelskifan wrote: »
    TBC...It's lying across the rafters. I'm going to try an amplified indoor to see what result I get. There may well be something (break IN the cable ??) that I'm not aware of that's causing it. Will let you know in a day or so.:)

That's the problem. It's lying across the rafters. It needs to be suspended above the rafters and below the tiles/slates themselves. I found very significant drops in signal with both VHF and UHF aerials if they're lying on the ground. You can use string to suspend the aerial from some of the overhead joists/rafters and that should make a very big difference. Or you can get proper loft mounting kits which involve a small bracket being fixed to a wooden beam and the aerial is then bolted to the short pole. I can get Cairn hill here on just an indoor aerial but when I put the aerial lying down on the rafters I was barely able to get the channel list on the set top box.

What I use in the loft is a bracket for a satellite dish like http://cms.killercontent.net/media/ec/97866f60479448d0a4152c0023a6ace1satbracket.jpg which is fastened to one of the beams with 2 screws or bolts.

Advertisement