Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

<rant>
    Shame the BBC felt they have to cut the evening snooker coverage to make way for Antiques Road Trip and Great British Menu. As if we don't already have enough of Tim Wonnacot during the day's 'flogging old tat' omnibus, and we all must be great cooks by now between all the Hairy Bikers and Masterchef etc on. :pac:

Guess I'm stuck with either the dutch/belgian eurosport, or an intermittent livestream that somehow consistently knows to lag half-way through a key shot!
    </endrant>

That aside, I'm really looking forward to it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Agreed boys, I'm really looking forward to tonight's matches.

Another bit of news away from the table today was that a new ranking event for next season was announced...

Here's the press release...

The new International Championship will be staged for the first time later this year, with the biggest top prize ever for a snooker event in Asia.

The world ranking event will run from October 28 to November 4 with £600,000 total prize money and the winner to collect £125,000. It will have the same level of ranking points as the UK Championship.

The event will be staged for the next five seasons following an agreement between World Snooker and CCTV Sports & Entertainment Co Ltd.

The tournament will feature 32 of the world's top professional players, plus eight Asian wild cards. The host city will be confirmed shortly.

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: "We are absolutely delighted to announce this fantastic new event, alongside CCTV Sports & Entertainment Co Ltd, a great partner with vast experience in television broadcast and events.

"The International Championship will be an outstanding addition to the calendar and will take snooker into a city which has never staged a professional event before, which will help the sport continue to grow in China.

"The prize money for this event is the highest ever seen in China, and the incentive for all snooker players to climb to the top of the sport and reap the awards has never been greater.

"Last season there were two ranking events in China, next season there will be five. That shows the level of growth in the region and the hunger of the Chinese fans for more snooker. This tournament will really be something special."

China's top player Ding Junhui added: "It's great news for the players and the Chinese fans that we will have a new ranking tournament in China next season. It's another chance for our supporters there to watch the best players. I'm really excited about playing in the International Championship and I'm sure it will be a great success."

• Registered Users Posts: 42,078 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Hendry now ahead 6-3. Slight favourite at this stage?

Yes a big frame that one, Higgins doesn't really look settled, but Hendry too has missed some really straighforward pots.

• Advertisement

jebforever wrote: »
    Hendry now ahead 6-3. Slight favourite at this stage?

Well I certainly wouldn't bet on Higgins winning any frames.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Higgins playing terrible, Hendry playing Mediocre but getting the job done. If Hendry wins all 8 here.... well... do the maths. No final session! :eek:

Incredible. What a frame of snooker. Nice to see the big breaks going in but those types of frames we just saw are great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Daddio wrote: »
    <rant>
    Shame the BBC felt they have to cut the evening snooker coverage to make way for Antiques Road Trip and Great British Menu. As if we don't already have enough of Tim Wonnacot during the day's 'flogging old tat' omnibus, and we all must be great cooks by now between all the Hairy Bikers and Masterchef etc on. :pac:

Guess I'm stuck with either the dutch/belgian eurosport, or an intermittent livestream that somehow consistently knows to lag half-way through a key shot!
    </endrant>

That aside, I'm really looking forward to it :cool:
    Thanks, but unfortunately I mostly just pick up the BBC London broadcasts as I don't have Sky here. Alas!

Managed to catch a bit of the Hendry/Higgins match (currently at 8-4), shaping up to be a very interesting encounter. Hendry playing a tad slack as he feels maybe a bit unthreatened by Higgins - but giving even an under-par Higgins a chance is to give him a chance too many, he seems to manage a fightback out of nowhere. While I'd be surprised to see him pull it back to all square by the end of the session, Hendry needs to keep the match very tight if he doesn't want any unpleasant surprises.

What drama !!

Hendry has now won 12 out of the last 14.
    I've watched John Higgins for nearly 20 years and I can honestly say that I've never seen him play so poorly. It's not down to the pressure or brilliant play of his opponent, he has simply just failed to turn in any performance.
    Not taking anything away from Hendry but he must have been really surprised at how poorly Higgins has played.

Meanwhile Neil Robertson advances to the quater finals after a 13-9 win over qualifier Dave Gilbert. All credit to Gilbert he battled hard tonight and at one stage almost made it 11-9.
    Robertson plays Williams or O'Sullivan next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

This might be the start of the Higgins downfall, he was beyond woeful this evening and Hendry will need to seriously up his game if hes gonna threaten Maguire in the quarters..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

This might be the start of the Higgins downfall, he was beyond woeful this evening and Hendry will need to seriously up his game if hes gonna threaten Maguire in the quarters..

Or Perry if he does an amazing comeback!
    Some great games tomorrow, really looking forward to O'Sullivan/Williams at 14:30, and Carter (who has been the surprise for me, as I've seen him falter so many times) /Trump game in the evening.
    I think Higgins snooker in this tournament has really rounded up his performances this year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Superb frames of snooker tonight alright........

Higgins was unbelievebly poor, especially considering he's defending his title!!

Hendry was very good for the most part but a couple of frames he could have lost ((only for Higgin's to save him with his poor performance all round!!))

And what about Hendry's unbelievable miscue on the yellow. It just looked plain ridiculous!!

Exciting stuff though in fairness......C'mon Hendry, you don't need to end up like the way Steve Davis or Ken Doherty are now just yet.... :D:D :P :P!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

well played robbo, maguire looking good for the qf. stephen 12-4 up , could be done and dusted very quickly tomorrow morning when they resume at 10am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

hopefully, I am enjoying the championship but getting rid of honest John would be lovely especially after the nauseating effort of BBC trying to paint him as a victim last year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I would fancy hendry having a good chance of beating maguire even if hendry was a bit inconsistent. Maguire gets very annoyed when things are not going well, which is a bit of a distraction for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JBarnes1986

Rjd2 wrote: »
    hopefully, I am enjoying the championship but getting rid of honest John would be lovely especially after the nauseating effort of BBC trying to paint him as a victim last year. :)

You're entitled to your opinion and I don't condone in any way what he did,it'll hang over him for the rest of his career but seeing John playing as bad as he did yesterday just makes for a poorer World Championship.

Day 8 kicks off with the conclusion of Perry v Maguire and Day v Yupeng. Maguire should have no bother wrapping up the win over Perry, once again nearly every frame last night Perry was in first but his old failings of not converting frame winning chances really showed last night. Maguire did in fairness to him stick to his task andfinds himself on the verge of the quater finals.

Day v Yupeng's first session was more a workmanlike performance from Day and another session will see him with one foot in the quaters.

The afternoon sees four players with 16 world titles between them,there is a classic in store with Williams v O'Sullivan on show, this game needs no build up, O'Sullivan will be a strong favourite simply due to the record he has over Williams, it's ten years now since Williams has beaten The Rocket and I fully expect that to stretch to 11. They will have the Cruicble all to themselves to as you would expect Hendry to finish the job on Higgins early enough. I don't think there is anyone who expected to see such a dismal performance as the one produced by Higgins last night, simply put , he was awful,he did'nt look comfortable, any even when he did get chances of which there were plenty he just could'nt make it happen.Hendry didn't exactly play wonderful stuff himself but he potted the balls that mattered and is on route possibly for another all Scottish affair this time with Maguire in the quaters.
    As usual there was one or two comments posted here relating to Higgins and what happened in Kiev in 2010 but we're always going to get that. Suggesting the beginning of the Higgins downfall is slightly premature, Higgins will recover from this defeat, he has recovered from a lot worse.

The evening sees Ali Carter v Judd Trump start their match, hard to call this, Trump will be favourite but a refreshed looking Ali Carter will push him hard, I expect lots of high breaks in this game.
    Day v Yupeng will play their match to a finish also tonight.

10.00am

Joe Perry 5-11 Stephen Maguire
    Ryan Day 6-2 Cao Yupeng

2.30pm

John Higgins 4-12 Stephen Hendry
    Mark Williams v Ronnie O’Sullivan

7pm
    Ali Carter v Judd Trump
    Ryan Day v Cao Yupeng

Totally agree,to suggest that this signals the start of a downfall is total nonsense,form is temporary,class is permanent.Some people seem to be taking delight in his poor form.I think that anyone who knows and actually plays the game would like to see John back to his best next season.

• Advertisement

Great start from Joe, if he could nick the next two we'll have a match on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Totally agree,to suggest that this signals the start of a downfall is total nonsense,form is temporary,class is permanent.Some people seem to be taking delight in his poor form.I think that anyone who knows and actually plays the game would like to see John back to his best next season.

Its likely just a dip in form alright, but to say class is permanent as if to suggest he will be as good as he is indefinitely, is not right. A downfall will start sometime, no matter how much class a player has.

So at some stage, what was suggested wont be nonsense.

Maguire seals the match with a classy 79 break, Perry put up a flight and only for a fluked red from Maguire it could have gone 11-8.
    Day meanwhile is 7-5 up on Yupeng

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tmax500

Really looking forward to this evenings matches.
    higgins probabley has a bet on the frame score

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Its likely just a dip in form alright, but to say class is permanent as if to suggest he will be as good as he is indefinitely, is not right. A downfall will start sometime, no matter how much class a player has.

Of course a downfall will start sometime, there is no question of that regardless of who the player is. I just feel like the OP has said is that Higgins still has a lot more in him. When Davis knocked him out in 2010 people said the same thing but the following season he won three ranking titles including the world championships.
    He'll come back a stronger player next season of that I have no doubt.

robbie7730 wrote: »

That's not what I meant.The class is permanent quote was meant to mean that a player of Johns class will definitely bounce back after a poor season,to suggest otherwise,is personally I think,nonsense.The way some people are talking,he might as well hang up his cue now.Of course I don't think he's going to be able to produce his best form consistently forever but he's got a good few years left in him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Who's Stevens playing in round 2? I had a bit of a crush on him when I was 15 hahaha :o I met him a few years ago in Killarney, he's a sound lad!

Who's Stevens playing in round 2? I had a bit of a crush on him when I was 15 hahaha :o I met him a few years ago in Killarney, he's a sound lad!
    He's playing Barry Hawkins tomorrow morning. Good 1st frame from Williams/O'Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Mark & Ronnie look in good form and really up for this - could be a classic...

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/121571/3/watch-world-snooker-championship-sheffield.html

...Ken on commentary

• Advertisement

Ronnie looking really good so far, hasn't really given Williams a chance in last 2 frames

Advertisement