Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2012 & training log links

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ooh also can I add that this week saw me complete my first duathlon and I loved it!! And managed to run every mile quicker than any mile time I've ran before in training or racing ever!! This triathlon training is amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Bally8 wrote: »
    Ooh also can I add that this week saw me complete my first duathlon and I loved it!! And managed to run every mile quicker than any mile time I've ran before in training or racing ever!! This triathlon training is amazing!!

Well done Bally! That's super.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

*Furiously searches SBR challenge for something to cheer about*

*Miles behind top two in swimming, damn*

*Third on the bike, damn*

*An also ran in the running, damn*

*Oh, the additional info, interesting...*

King of the road!!!! :cool:

Silly turbo wimps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Silly turbo wimps
    Wimps?!
    "challenges BTH to a scrap behind the bike shed after school"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'll take that personally also... ;)

You know I was wondering if the turbo km's should really be counted as 1.5x as let's face it there is no rest, free wheeling, down hills or faffing about like them Sunday cyclists :D

Flip side is you're only kidding yourself if taking it easy or watching tv on the turbo. That ain't working either.
    Sweat test I guess so!

Eugene, you're a marked man for the bike split prime at our first race this year so... You and your 90% outdoor real man training...

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »
    You know I was wondering if the turbo km's should really be counted as 1.5x as let's face it there is no rest, free wheeling, down hills or faffing about like them Sunday cyclists :D

If you're getting bonus time for your really tough turbo sessions, then what kind of multiple would you apply to my consecutive weekends of 1200m+ (or 1400+ & 1300+ if you ask strava instead of Garmin) of climbing :D? Careful you dont do some damage climbing on the turbo when you throw your leg over the crossbar, its a long way up!! :p

New thought. Vertical m column?? :D

And to even it out a bit getting on the turbo counts as 0.5m. Each time!

Ah here, surely your turbo has resistance settings on it? ;)
    You'll be looking for points when it's raining next, or when you've to change a puncture in the wet freezing in your Lycra shorts.
    Shorts? Oh you want more points for using shorts instead of full leg, or plain radiator for the weak turbo users now is it? :)

And hey I'm a fan of hills sure they're right on my doorstep.
    I still maintain a good balance is needed and that a good turbo session is hard to beat, and I'm prob a bit too heavy towards turbo at mo but that's understandable given the season.

I'm going back to have a look at my calendar to settle this :D

If you're getting bonus time for your really tough turbo sessions, then what kind of multiple would you apply to my consecutive weekends of 1200m+ (or 1400+ & 1300+ if you ask strava instead of Garmin) of climbing :D? Careful you dont do some damage climbing on the turbo when you throw your leg over the crossbar, its a long way up!! :p

A multiple of 1.

What goes up, must come down (faffing/freewheeling/resting the whole way...)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Sometimes life events take over and training goes on the back burner and so it was for me this week. Three consecutive non training days last week. I had planned an easy week this week so I will swap last week for this week.
    On the bright side I still managed 3 runs (granted one run was only a one mile in a brick session!! – it was fast though), 3 cycles, 1 swim and two classes (yoga and combat).
    Three goals this week:
    1. Swim 4k +
    2. Hard hill session – run and bike (separate days)
    3. Sports massage

• Advertisement

Thanks Shell to Run, the weekly objectives is a good idea to run this thread or maybe a new one. The SBR challenege is very competitive this year and fun too. It would be interesting to see what poeple set out as their weekly objectives. My main one last week was to hold pace target for reps within a long run and to get out on the bike and climb some hills. Ticked the former, bailed on the latter. So, 50% success, or 50% failure depending on your orientation.

Right his week like Shell I'll lay down my weekly objectives

1. Try to hold sub 4 minute pace off the bike at the 4.5k/20k/4.5kLimerick Duathlon. I won't hold back on the bike either to hit this, just want to check leg speed after roasting them on the bike (assuming I don't fall off)
    2. Get back to Yoga and spend at least an hour stretching/rolling
    3. Horse into the chocolate and biscuits ahead of Lent

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Objectives? 11 hours of training. 3 swims. 4 bikes, three on turbo, one long. Hopefully get a few runs in one of which is to be a long one. Its going to be hard because my Oh will be away which screws up my free time. Will have to face the dreaded treadmill to get some of it done.. This is my first build week so a slight move up in intensity too. And I will use my foam roller. I will. I mean it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Quite simple training wise for me this week:

1. Not miss any sessions
    2. Learn to suffer on the turbo - this means at over 100% of FTP
    3. Enjoy training which I do most weeks :D

Objectives?

1). Get over the pain in my legs. I can barely walk up the stairs!
    2). Don't miss any sessions. 3bikes, 3 swims, 5runs
    3). 6-8 Creamy ones at Dad's retirement do on Friday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

1) Be still alive after Donadea 50km ultra on Sunday
    2) See obj 1
    3) See obj 2

Too much info this is gonna get messy!

Weekly objectives kept to logs maybe?

Im actually on a recovery week so objectives are relax, do more core/strength work and smash a certain test or two that I can smell coming up...
    My SBR ranking won't be getting much better this week but my legs will be!

Actually there is one more, wash my Tri and road bikes on days off!
    Yep, 2 training days off this week! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Run 70k
    Cycle 100k (should be easy, haven't managed it 3 weeks in a row now)
    Swim 4k (3 sessions).

All the running is easy pace. Will try to push some of the aerobic runs so that I'm increasing speed but staying relaxed. Reasonable 4/5 weeks of aerobic build up so far.

Cycling is crap, swimming is crap. I know it's biased to running but the cycling and swimming are a luxury. Running is a necessity.

I'm using the Garmin Connect "goals" to keep track. Very satisfying seeing the grey goal turn to gold when you hit 100%.

Just the regular posters/loggers I follow...

Abhainn
    Tunney
    King Quez

any others?

Welcome to the Challenge MichaelDuffy :)

Just the regular posters/loggers I follow...

Abhainn
    Tunney
    King Quez

any others?

Welcome to the Challenge MichaelDuffy :)

Not THE MichaelDuffy? Surely not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Not THE MichaelDuffy? Surely not

Another fellow Twitterererer joins in. Must be all the secret SBR tweets I put out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

This week's objective: to figure out who Michael Duffy is. :o

Dory Dory wrote: »
    This week's objective: to figure out who Michael Duffy is. :o

I'll give you a clue, he lives in twitter. (well as far as I can tell anyway)

I'll give you a clue, he lives in twitter. (well as far as I can tell anyway)

So he is virtual?
    And my google search is not helping me.....:(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory tho I'm a chick I don't tweet. Haven't a clue who this is either :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Dory tho I'm a chick I don't tweet. Haven't a clue who this is either :)

Whew. Good to know I'm not the only hoochie who doesn't tweet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That famous that his username is his own name. He doesn't need a fancy name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Cycling is crap, swimming is crap. I know it's biased to running but the cycling and swimming are a luxury. Running is a necessity.

How come the running is a necessity? Are you training for a particular running race?

5th and slipping... bloody germs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

5th and slipping... bloody germs :mad:

Well, my season ends April 1st (will probably make a re-appearance for Galway in Sept), so am gagging for the day when I'm necking beers, reading the various IM logs and happily sliding down the table.

One less for you to worry about:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Run 70k
    Cycle 100k (should be easy, haven't managed it 3 weeks in a row now)
    Swim 4k (3 sessions).

All the running is easy pace. Will try to push some of the aerobic runs so that I'm increasing speed but staying relaxed. Reasonable 4/5 weeks of aerobic build up so far.

I'm using the Garmin Connect "goals" to keep track. Very satisfying seeing the grey goal turn to gold when you hit 100%.
    How come the running is a necessity? Are you training for a particular running race?

Hi Bryan, to be honest I'm a bit of an impostor on the SBR challenge. I'm training for the IMRA mountain running season mostly. 2010 was a good year, 2011 I slipped a bit. I do a few of the multi-sport races like WAR Glendalough and Gaelforce and my cycling has always let me down. Aiming to improve a bit on the bike. I've done a handful of tris in the last few years but my swimming has always been pants and cycling not much better meaning that I arrived at the run in bits as I pushed too hard on the bike. Hoping to do a couple of tris over the summer.

Advertisement