Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

1127128129130131133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Saw in IMAX this morning. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Skadoosh! wrote: »
    Positive, was raving about how good it looks. I'm off to it now, yeeehaa :D
    Was really pleased that he was so ecstatic about the film, then went to download the podcast and found that there's a Christopher Nolan interview on it too. This is my kind of day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

wow...

that was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    wow...

that was terrible.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

How so?

found the other thread and posted my thoughts there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

No trailers at all before the Cineworld screening I was at today, and staff were pretty insistent on the movie starting exactly ten minutes after the listed time. Again, I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the extra crowds caused by the earlier cock-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Skadoosh! wrote: »
    Positive, was raving about how good it looks. I'm off to it now, yeeehaa :D

Kermode is always effusive in his praise of Wally Pfister

• Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Never thought i'd say this..

.. I'm so bloody disappointed! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

About this reworked franchise. I sense a curious 'underground' cult for such a mainstream franchise. Would that massacre have happened off the back of Tim Burtons Batman? I doubt it.. I doubt that easily impressionable retard would've gone ballistic for a screening of Tim Burton's batman. but anyhow..

This Nolan guy's vision is overly cold and from Bale I get the American Psycho vibe he's not a million miles from as Bruce Wayne. Cold, calculating capitalist. Yknow those who can't search beyond the mainstream are obviously easily influenced and I've seen the same such repercussions from fans of the veritable dark lady gaga of the 90's, mm. it doesn't work and now I realize give a modern pop crowd darkness they might just become it and I'm glad most of my collection never saw the light of day, some stuff just needs to be discovered instead of pushed on kids. Same with that silly Scream cult for such a lightweight teen shocker, same kind of violent oddball cult it gave wind to.

Give me Keaton and Nicholson any day they did it with personality and soul but this is just cold. Pfeiffer was a more likely catwoman; too with Burton's vision being true to it's comic book roots up to a point but there lies the truth. Bring the comic to life, the original essence without being overly dark, tooled up and.. Serious.

Even the Joker here was serious, tbh and ****ing demented for it. Took his own life off the back of it? It's essentially just a comic kids, no matter how much Nolan tries to remove that aspect. You marry reality with the DC vision but lean more toward bringing the comic to life for the true accomplishment not this heavy-duty ballistics militarized 'realism' I'm disgusted by this wànker batman, tbh. Seen the not serious, the semi-serious and the serious brought to life n tbh I'd rather even the kitsch tit back in the 60s. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Hey LH Pathe! Why so Serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

And the stupidest post of the day goes to .......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

fruvai wrote: »
    And the stupidest post of the day goes to .......................

best not be calling my opinion, stupid .. I think the Nolan vision is great but detatched and a world away. Failed marriage now don't go pissing your kevlar underpants

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Keep it friendly please, guys. And take discussion of the US cinema shooting elsewhere please. There's a thread in After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

Well i gotta say its an amazing movie! and a 5am showing was something else! :D Truly amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Loved it... think I'll have to see it again after i've watched the first 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Went to see it last night...AMAZING. Will definitely go see it again:)
    My only criticism was Bane's voice was slightly muffled in some scenes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

LH Pathe wrote: »
    About this reworked franchise. I sense a curious 'underground' cult for such a mainstream franchise. Would that massacre have happened off the back of Tim Burtons Batman? I doubt it.. I doubt that easily impressionable retard would've gone ballistic for a screening of Tim Burton's batman. but anyhow..

This Nolan guy's vision is overly cold and from Bale I get the American Psycho vibe he's not a million miles from as Bruce Wayne. Cold, calculating capitalist. Yknow those who can't search beyond the mainstream are obviously easily influenced and I've seen the same such repercussions from fans of the veritable dark lady gaga of the 90's, mm. it doesn't work and now I realize give a modern pop crowd darkness they might just become it and I'm glad most of my collection never saw the light of day, some stuff just needs to be discovered instead of pushed on kids. Same with that silly Scream cult for such a lightweight teen shocker, same kind of violent oddball cult it gave wind to.

Give me Keaton and Nicholson any day they did it with personality and soul but this is just cold. Pfeiffer was a more likely catwoman; too with Burton's vision being true to it's comic book roots up to a point but there lies the truth. Bring the comic to life, the original essence without being overly dark, tooled up and.. Serious.

Even the Joker here was serious, tbh and ****ing demented for it. Took his own life off the back of it? It's essentially just a comic kids, no matter how much Nolan tries to remove that aspect. You marry reality with the DC vision but lean more toward bringing the comic to life for the true accomplishment not this heavy-duty ballistics militarized 'realism' I'm disgusted by this wànker batman, tbh. Seen the not serious, the semi-serious and the serious brought to life n tbh I'd rather even the kitsch tit back in the 60s. Cheers

Burton's films were nowhere near as faithful to the comics as Nolan's imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'm hoping to head maybe monday or tuesday night. I'm sure it'll be great either way but was maybe thinking of Savoy screen 1, Cineworld screen 17 or my usual haunt Dundrum.

Where to go? Your two cents please.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I'm hoping to head maybe monday or tuesday night. I'm sure it'll be great either way but was maybe thinking of Savoy screen 1, Cineworld screen 17 or my usual haunt Dundrum.

Where to go? Your two cents please.

Isense in odeon at the point village. Huge screen and great sound, but make sure and get a seat in back half of cinema, I was in fourth row and had to keep turning my head to keep up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Burton's films were nowhere near as faithful to the comics as Nolan's imo.

To be fair the comics have seen as many different interpretations as each set of films, even the Adam West TV show was faithful to the comics at some stage so I am sure Burton's matched the tone at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm thinking about going to see this on Monday morning. Any idea what the weekday morning screenings are like in Dundrum? I don't want something full of annoying babies/children/teenagers.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    To be fair the comics have seen as many different interpretations as each set of films, even the Adam West TV show was faithful to the comics at some stage so I am sure Burton's matched the tone at some point.

I love Burton's films but they don't really match the tone of the comics I've read anyway, both BB and TDK borrowed heavily from the books, taking whole scenes and plot elements from 2 of the most iconic batman graphic novels, namely Year One and the Long Halloween.

You're right, I'm sure there are comics closer to Burton's films than those ones in terms of tone, but regards the portrayel of the characters, especially Joker and Batman, Nolan's stays truer to the comic book roots by far. Joker's never really been funny in his modern guises apart from Nicholson, even the animated series managed to make him come across as a twisted monster. And it also strikes me as strange that LH Pathe said Nolan made the films too dark, Nolan's films are nowhere near as dark as many of the comics.

In fairness to LH Pathe, they have a point about it being a colder more sanitised version of Batman in many ways though.

Anyways, its killing me that I haven't gotten to see the new one yet!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Right, saw this in iSense today. Gotta say I didn't really notice much of a difference between it and any other screen I've been to

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I love Burton's films but they don't really match the tone of the comics I've read anyway, both BB and TDK borrowed heavily from the books, taking whole scenes and plot elements from 2 of the most iconic batman graphic novels, namely Year One and the Long Halloween.

You're right, I'm sure there are comics closer to Burton's films than those ones in terms of tone, but regards the portrayel of the characters, especially Joker and Batman, Nolan's stays truer to the comic book roots by far. Joker's never really been funny in his modern guises apart from Nicholson, even the animated series managed to make him come across as a twisted monster. And it also strikes me as strange that LH Pathe said Nolan made the films too dark, Nolan's films are nowhere near as dark as many of the comics.

In fairness to LH Pathe, they have a point about it being a colder more sanitised version of Batman in many ways though.
    Burtons partially match a tone of grimness but when it comes to the characters and overall universe they dont really. Far too much theatricality which helped make Nicholsons Joker work but have never fitted in with the overall series. The Adam West series and film show a lot of the Golden Age attitude but Nolans goes along Frank Millers route started with Year One. There will always be things like Killer Croc, Man Bat, Clayface, Banes use of Venum & the Lazarus Pits that really wouldnt fit in the universe but instead of trying to fit them in he just ignored them except for Bane but the anesthetic instead of a steroid worked well.

I really liked Nicholsons Joker. Granted he leaned towards the campy side but its such a difficult character to get. Ledgers version fitted in perfectly with Nolans universe and gets the praise it deserves but still wasnt a fully accurate rendition. Joker is a homicidal maniac but everything is still a joke as he looks at it. Everything contains a funny side to him but he doesnt understand why people dont find the same things funny. Depending what book you read it goes much deeper. It gets to a stage of him needing Batmans opposition to exist. In 1 book he believed Batman had been killed and went back to normal. House, job, wife, everything since he needed his balance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

An interesting take on it.

Everyone to their own but I think Nolan's vision had far more real 'personality and soul' than the Burton one. Burton's films weren't really about Batman. Nolan's films were- about what drives a man to be a violent, law breaking vigilante and what the consequences of this thirst for revenge are. Both to himself and to the world.

Burton's stuff was certainly more theatrical. And Nicholson was far funnier. But he wasn't scary (to me anyway). Ledger's joker was a black abyss. He was scary. He meant it. He was a murderer.

Burton's films took the Batman myth (man dresses up in a rubber suit modeled on a feared animal and spends his life constantly, incessantly punishing those who commit crime with violence) as a given.

Nolan attempted to address it head on and by given that world context, perhaps made it darker and more serious, but also more real.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

This Nolan guy's vision is overly cold and from Bale I get the American Psycho vibe he's not a million miles from as Bruce Wayne. Cold, calculating capitalist.

I couldn't disagree with this more. The Bruce Wayne in Nolan's universe doesn't seem to care about the money at all. Not your typical capitalist then. In Batman Begins he gave it all up to go and live with criminals for seven years. Then in The Dark Knight Rises he
    doesn't seem to bothered when his fortune is basically stolen from him

The Bruce Wayne in these movies is just an act. He is just pretending to be a billionaire playboy. If anything the Bruce Wayne from Batman Forever and Batman & Robin is far more of a capitalist than the one in Nolan's films. If I remember correctly in Batman & Robin he didn't seem to bothered about helping the environmental cause.

Advertisement