Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Bernso

Duffryman wrote: »
    Hi folks

Bernso, the 5k I'm going to do on St Patrick's Day is in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford, so if you're talking about Dunboyne for something else then it probably doesn't suit you. It's not listed on that Run Ireland calender - it's just a charity fundraiser being run by a GAA club there. I'm involved in our own GAA club here just a few miles out the road, so am going in to support it.

I got the runners afterwards by making a trip to Dublin to head for Runways on Parnell Street (www.runways.ie). Cost me €105 but well worth it and would recommend anybody doing the same if they intend to see out the C25K and keep it up after that.

Finished the progamme myself last week and am stretching it out just a little further now - ran 4.5 miles this morning, for instance. There's a 10k near me at the end of April that I'm aiming for now as well. Onwards and upwards!

Good luck to all still going through the programme itself. Stick with it. Found it a little tough myself at certain stages, but came through it and feel great about it. If it works for me, it can work for everyone else too! :)

Thanks a mill and best of luck on your journey:)
    One question, did that running shop get you to run on a treadmill and check your gait/ foot style when running etc? I know the shop in Bray does this. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

can i just ask a question.....do you run on your heels or ball of the foot, when landing, been told you should be on the ball of your foot, to lesson the impact...been advised to check out CHI running... anyone done it or do you run on the heel???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Bernso - yup, there was the treadmill thing there all right, that's what attracted me to them in the first place having seen them mentioned elsewhere already. Ran first in bare feet and then with five different pairs before both the guy there and myself were happy that we'd found a pair to suit. Much better thank picking up a pair more or less at random from an ordinary sports shop, which is basically what I'd done in the past.

Now a question for you - what's the shop in Bray? I didn't know there was one there. If I had done, I may well have gone there instead, as it's closer to me. Would be handy to know about for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

The shop in Bray is Amphibian King, top of Dargle Road near LIDL. I got my runners there. After gait analysis the staff picked 2 or 3 pairs of suitable shoes, I was able to try them all and bought what felt best for me. There's also runways on Parnell St D1 . BTW I have no connection to either shop

snoopy12 wrote: »
    Hiya, I'm on week 3 of c25k runningmate. I am doing the 3 runs per week but I feel I need to do more to loose weight / tone up.can anyone recommend what I can be doing in another couple of gym visits?

Weight loss happens at lower intensity, if you're running as fast as you can it'll burn musle energy insted of fat. See 'Fat Burning Zone' article on http://www.brianmac.co.uk/ , site has lots of good info

Good luck. I'm on Week 7 - 25 minute run , listening to my music :) , having repeated one or two weeks at the start (Jan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

Hi, I have just started c25k this week and would like to join the thread. I finished Day 2 today and am feeling great:D. I have been mostly doing runs around my college and the park beside it - some of the other people who run in the park are unbelievably fit. Inspiration for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

Cheers MLC_biker.
    I missed almost a week and just did a wk 3 jog tonight and it went fine... It's funny as I was a wheezing mess at the official end of my week 3 and tonight's was grand. Best of luck with wk 7 - I have nothing but admiration for anyone at that stage. Seems like a distant dream at the moment but I have committed myself to a 5 k in a few months so that will hopefully keep me going!

went for my run this morning, did w8d1 instead of w7d1, but it was fine...

Finished Week 1 yesterday - the running was a good bit easier to do today I think than it had been for Day 1 or 2. I did have to stop for a little bit to catch my breath though - I was breathing too shallowly while running and felt a bit woozy. Some rest and water helped that though!

I have been using the zenlabs C25K android app to cut into my music to tell me when to start running/walking. I find it great. I've also started bringing my phone out with me because it has a runtastic app on it which records your speed, distance, area covered etc.

I'm actually looking forward to running longer on Friday...God help us all.

Monday 3.02 miles in 31:22, today 3.08 miles in 30:46. Nearly there ! Signed up for Run with Ray 5k (Good Friday) and Docklands 5k (May) and 8k (June), money spent so I WILL be there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Jackalvano

I haven't tried it before, but intending to do it as sooooooon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Bernso

Duffryman wrote: »
    Now a question for you - what's the shop in Bray? I didn't know there was one there. If I had done, I may well have gone there instead, as it's closer to me. Would be handy to know about for future reference.

The shop in Bray is Amphibian King (as mentioned).
    I've not been but my friend who is a seasoned runner swears by them it sounds exactly like Parnell street in terms of the assessment though so I reckon i'll give there a go.
    Thanks again:)

I couldn't get out on Friday because of college work so I doubled up yesterday and today. Got on well in both of them - I keep nearly mowing down elderly couples who are out walking though, which isn't the best :p

havent run in nearly 2 weeks, was away and went for a lovely run, in muckross gardens....since then i've been sick, still not mended, so taking another few days off, but hopefully by the weekend/midweek be back to it, might go back to week 7 though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just started out the missus on this today,she went great...

5mins walking with 60 secs running and 90 walk for 20 mins,sound about right?

Half sort of training/helping her when i am on evening shift,would love to see her stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

dahat wrote: »

Yes, that's the week 1 plan
    Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

I started c25k last week,I've just done w2d1 today and can't wait to get back out on Wednesday.:)I am off the smokes five weeks after being a 20+ for about 25 years and never did any kind of sports.Great thread I really loved reading all the posts on here,hopefully I can add a few over the next few weeks.

that's great for you, well done, keep it going, its such an achievement to complete each and every week, and dont forget if one week is hard, stay on it for an extra few days, and think back to an earlier week that you thought was a bit difficult, think how far you will go....well done best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Thought id throw my hat in the collective ring here, as im just back from my first run.

Bit of background, i used to do athletics in my teens, from about 15 till i was 19, cross country's in the winter & 1500m indoors & outoors spring & summer, managed usually to compete to all irelands in both. I packed it in in second year in college & started hitting the gym really hard instead. Was 56 kg(@ 5' 7", very conscious of being small) when i started & over the course of 3 years manged to get to a lean 72 kg. I was really happy with that but work/traveling/drinking/eating & everything else got in the way after college & i've pretty much done nothing excerise wise the last two & half years.

I'm 26 now & a not so lean 80 kg, if it weren't for my metabolism id be alot heavier the way iv treated(abused really) my body the last few years.

So im hoping to turn that around. I work an evening shift so have all morning & afternoon free if i can drag myself out of bed. Did that today & got in a really good run. Initially i was finding the 60 second cycles a bit short but it wasnt soon catching up, it didnt absolutely kill me in the end but i've come away feeling id a really strong work out, even got a few sets of push ups & sit ups in at the end.

Plan is to use the c25k as a structured way to break through the initial hump to get myself back cardio fit. Im aiming to be able to run some local cross country's again come the winter. I like to be doing realistic training for that come july, i.e. 3 -4 10k sessions a week.

Here's hoping getting all that down in writing helps me stick to it.....:o

well done you, to get up and go at it again, you'll be amazed how quick you get through them, and the feeling of achievement.....keep it going

havent run since the 17th, sick and all that goes with that...but up this morning, did 4.3 miles in total, 9 mins walking and rest running...felt great

Going to see an orthotics next week, torn ligament in my ankle last october, and running just hasnt been the same since, i've very flat feet, :o so hopefully some insoles will help, and my knee will stop having so much pressure on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭danburke

I finished the c25k about a month ago and I cannot get over how well i am back running.

I have done a few half marathons in the past, however due to work I haven't really ran in about 6 months!

The first night I was pretty wrecked and out of breath but by the end of the program I managed to run 5k in 24mins!!!

I am slowly building back up to 10k at the moment so heres hoping nothing goes wrong!

w1d2. Was feeling the stiffness yesterday but felt good again soon as i started today. For what should've been the final set of 60 seconds run + 90 seconds walk i just did a hard enough run for the remainder of the lap to where the car was parked, which came in at 94 seconds. That felt really good. Not sure whether to rain in that kind of thing & follow the program to the letter, to easy my body back in gently as possible, or go for it if im feeling it? I'm conscious of the whole point of c25k of not burning out.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    w1d2. Was feeling the stiffness yesterday but felt good again soon as i started today. For what should've been the final set of 60 seconds run + 90 seconds walk i just did a hard enough run for the remainder of the lap to where the car was parked, which came in at 94 seconds. That felt really good. Not sure whether to rain in that kind of thing & follow the program to the letter, to easy my body back in gently as possible, or go for it if im feeling it? I'm conscious of the whole point of c25k of not burning out.

Sentient - i'd say see how your feeling, if you think you can go to the next week, try it and if its too much then stick to the program, i know for me some weeks were better than others..different things affect you, just be careful not to hurt yourself and you'll do great..

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

So just done my w3d1 run and don't feel to bad.I think I got my pace just right today as I wasn't that tired after the 3 Min runs.One thing I'm worried about though is when I'm walking I seem to be limping a bit.There's no pain it's just like I have forgot how to walk I seem to be dragging my right leg:D.Any how I can't wait for next run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

thumper10 wrote: »
    Going to see an orthotics next week, torn ligament in my ankle last october, and running just hasnt been the same since, i've very flat feet, :o so hopefully some insoles will help, and my knee will stop having so much pressure on it

Essential ... I could never run any distance because of my flat feet until now.

thanks professore...

went yesterday and they said that my arch is there when i go on my tippy toes, but insoles would help.....to tell the truth i didnt feel like they were "selling the idea" to me, now dont get me wrong i dont want to be sold the insoles for the sake of it, but just felt like more information and what they would correct would have been nice....so i went away thinking why am i spending the money to get ones specificially made for me, just seemed like it was get them if you want from them !!! ......talked to himself then and think i'll go ahead with it, so that my knee doesnt give me bother in the future....both sister and mam have knee problems, so dont want to repeat the problem,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Hi guys, I started the c25k program last week but had to take a 3 day break after w1d1 due to other commitments, today ive completed the first week.
    First day went well, I suffered a bit the next day with pain in my shoulders and back but was not as bad as I thought it would be.
    Second day was going fine but got a stitch and my left calf/leg started to get sore, I had no after affect in the calf muscle so its not an injury.
    Day 3 was hard although I had a couple of beers the night before so that didnt help, I struggled.. my left calf/leg was at me again, I didnt finish the last 60 second jog but I did complete the whole 30 minutes. When I got home I stretched the left calf a couple of times and it seemed to relieve the problem.
    I found it harder to jog today my legs felt heavy and I had less energy.
    Is it just a bit of fatigue because Im only starting out ?
    My breathing was fine and when I got into a good stride I felt good but Im worried my leg will let me down.
    The weather was crap but I just wrapped up and went for it.
    Should I take an extra rest day before I start week 2 ?

2qk4u wrote: »
    I didnt finish the last 60 second jog but I did complete the whole 30 minutes.

20 minutes?

There's no harm in resting up for a extra day if your feeling the pain imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

sentient_6 wrote: »
    20 minutes?

There's no harm in resting up for a extra day if your feeling the pain imo.

30 including warm up and cool down, Im having an extra rest day today, lets see how I get on tomorrow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dahat wrote: »
    Just started out the missus on this today,she went great...

Half sort of training/helping her when i am on evening shift,would love to see her stick to it.

Missus will finish week 2 Friday so now she gets new runners as it looks like she will stick it out.
    Off to Brehon Sports next week to get skates and gait looked at.Unlike me she seems to have pretty good feet so she should be easy sort....

Advertisement