Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bear Grylls in the West of Ireland...

• 01-04-2009 8:10am

On Discovery last night.

Hilarious stuff. Not a Bear Grylls fan, it's as staged as it gets, stuff like finding a handy still warm dead sheep that had apparently fallen from a helicopter and landed right in the middle of a bog was nonsense.

But some nice scenery in it. Anyone know where it was filmed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

From the ads on Discover I'd say some of it was filmed in the Burren. Anyone got a youtube of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭JackM_79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 southie

i think board failte won't thank him, i doubt even during famine times people ate magotts out of a dead seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I watched it too last night .. absolutely hilarious. He goes off moaning about the dangers of the "treacherous" moorland and then immediately falls into a hole the size of a bus that anyone with a pair of eyes could have seen coming from 100m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the link. The sheep's heart was still warm?
    Must have just freshly fallen from the helicopter!

• Advertisement

Actually Its mucross head (apparently) but some of it looks like the mournes too. :confused:

There's an old thread on it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055371066 .. so much for the NEW in the on-screen graphics!

The most interesting post is this one ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57165836&postcount=19 ... obviously completely staged, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

That show is complete genius. Its ideal for a drinking game.
    Drink every time

He gets his kit off and his blurry penis out.
    He claims he might die. "hypothermia could fall from the sky and crush me like a knife" things like that
    He does a 'dangerous' ab where there are camera shots above and below him at different times.
    If he sleeps inside a dead animal that is two drinks.

Any other rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Hilarious stuff. Not a Bear Grylls fan, it's as staged as it gets, stuff like finding a handy still warm dead sheep that had apparently fallen from a helicopter and landed right in the middle of a bog was nonsense.

As he approaches the sheep he says something along the lines of "the farmer has left this one out for me...."

He gets a lot of stick but he's certainly a great climber and can eat absolutely anything!

• He says 'It's reeeeeally dangerous. 2 years ago 2 experienced climbers camped in this very area and one of them waas crushed dead by an egg laid by a passing hoot owl' or some other crap he makes up as he goes along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I'm sensing a lot of jealousy of Bear Grylls' dream job.

• I'm sensing a lot of jealousy of Bear Grylls' dream job.

Not from me.

I like Ray Mears. So much more matter of fact. So much more relaxed. So less inclined to try and tell me that death lurks at every bog hole and I need to kill a sheep to get by on the moors.

breadmonkey

I'm sensing a lot of jealousy of Bear Grylls' dream job.

My dream job is to make stuff up and then lie to people about it. {INSERT BANKER/Politician JOKE HERE}.

How about Survivorman? I like that program.

• cavedave wrote: »
    How about Survivorman? I like that program.

Not a fan. I'm 100% Ray Mears. Cut me open and I bleed Ray. Give me an R, give me an A...

Any time I've seen the Stroud guy, he's going on about how to survive in the desert...with just 3 teabags, a cannister of explosive, a cardboard box and a hat. But hey presto you can take the headband out of the hat and the material ignites on contact with the teabag to form a spark to light the explosive to blow away all the sand while you hide in the box etc. etc.

cavedave wrote: »
    That show is complete genius. Its ideal for a drinking game.
    Drink every time

He gets his kit off and his blurry penis out.
    He claims he might die. "hypothermia could fall from the sky and crush me like a knife" things like that
    He does a 'dangerous' ab where there are camera shots above and below him at different times.
    If he sleeps inside a dead animal that is two drinks.

Any other rules?

How about everytime he says something like "I'm not staying the night here but if I was ..." and it cuts to a scene of him *spending the night* under a tree or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Does anyone know if this is being repeated anytime soon. I feel his pain, i grew up on the mean hills of offaly:D.

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is being repeated anytime soon. I feel his pain, i grew up on the mean hills of offaly:D.
    Knowing Discovery Channel, probably at least 5 times in the coming week :D

It's also available online if you know where to look ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Thanks alun. Wil check the guide tonight. Actually wondering was it bear or mears that was the faker. Heard one of them was, now i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

lets be real here though. the only reason why people watch bear grylls is for the shock factor. anyone trying to drink from elephant crap is always entertaining no matter what you say.

obviously he is no ray mears. completly differentangles on bushcraft and survival. i have always been a ray fan, but i have to say i honestly dont mind bear grylls either. yeah its staged, but its a tv programme, thats generally the idea. it is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bandybanter

The Bear Grylls Irish programme was entirely filmed off the coast of donegal. I was fishing in the same spot where he jumped into the sea! Now "if" he did swim the whole way into shore, he's got balls because where he jumped in is called Sliabh Leige (Highest sea cliffs in Europe) and there are some seroius swells around there aswell as rip currents, not to mention conger eels that would rip your hands off!!

I know for a fact that the entire show was staged, because where he came ashore if he had turned to his left and started walking instead of his right, he would have been in a village in 5mins! Also the distance he covered in 2days is roughly between 1 - 2 miles. Easily covered in a few hours.

Also the "lake" where he found the sheep, SUCH BULLCRAP!!! There is a carparking area directly behind the lake. Literally 100 metres, but thanks to some crafty camera work and editing it appears as though he is in complete wilderness!!!

Even though it was purely staged, it can only help with tourism as its broadcast on Discovery. It's just a pity he never states exactly where he was. Probably for the reason that if he did people would immediatley realise the fakeness of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I was fishing in the same spot where he jumped into the sea! .
    did you catch anything?

It is just a TV show and it is entertaining. I hope people don't take it too seriously though.
    not to mention conger eels that would rip your hands off!!

Has this ever actually happened. Ive tried to find reports on it and it seems to be a bit like swans breaking your arm. Is it just an rural legend? Will conger eels attack swimmers? I found one reported attack from a diver who stuck his hand into the eels house.

Ah yeah caught loads. We (10 of us) caught like 0ver 60 mackeral using feathers at the beginning which we then used as bait! I caught about 8 pollock and one HUGE conger eel! Which was alot of fun reeling in as it broke the reel right off the rod. So we hooked the fecker and dragged it overboard. And if any one knows conger eels then you know that it could take your hand clean off with it's jaws. We tried beatin it with a lead pipe but the conger eel is a very hard thing to kill. Its known for it to survive for hours out of water and even after a beating. So we had to cut its head off! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats a very brave/stupid man to do that!

A conger eel will attack if its felt threatened. I spoke to many divers who said that one of their worst nightmares is to have a conger eel cornered. One would prob not attack a swimmer on the surface but i wouldn't like to be put in the situation just in case.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭granturismo

At least Gerry 'Lambo' Ryan killed the lamb all those years ago, on whatever RTE's survival program was called.

• At least Gerry 'Lambo' Ryan killed the lamb all those years ago

That, afaik, was as fake as one of Bear's 'I could die at any second' shows.

Advertisement