Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter of Reference

• 22-09-2012 1:49pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm applying to companies for work placements (as part of my college course) at the moment.

I received a letter of reference from my boss during my (relevant) summer job. It's a great reference, and I'd like to include it somehow in my job applications - is this wise?

I'll be applying by email for these jobs, so could I scan the letter of reference and attach it with my CV, or should I wait until asked for a reference before providing one? At the moment, my CV has the names and details of two referees (one of them is the person who wrote the letter), but I could change it to "References available on request" if needs be.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Are you applying for vacancies they've advertised, or are you sort of "cold calling" and asking for a temporary placement?

If it's the latter, I think I'd be inclined to attach the reference with your CV as you'll want to convince them much quicker than if they were going through a standard recruitment process.

Just make sure your referees could expect a call at any time and without any notice from you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm applying to jobs that are advertised. If I include the letter of reference, wouldn't it eliminate a step for them and thus make it easier? I have told the person to expect a call soon, as I imagine even with the letter they will still ring to verify it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm applying to jobs that are advertised. If I include the letter of reference, wouldn't it eliminate a step for them and thus make it easier? I have told the person to expect a call soon, as I imagine even with the letter they will still ring to verify it!

The reference check isn't normally done until a job offer has been accepted. You're not expected to provide them before that, and ideally you want to control when the reference check is done. For example, you might want the referee to emphasise different parts of your work experience depending on the job you've gone for.

It might not do any harm to include it, but it's not expected.

Advertisement