Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Kinda sucks only LG is the only OEM with hardware buttons

Thats actually the reason I chose my LG Optimus 7 over a HTC. I swore never to use another with keys like my old phones :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

DjFlin wrote: »
    Thats actually the reason I chose my LG Optimus 7 over a HTC. I swore never to use another with keys like my old phones :P

I wouldnt mind if we had multi tasking :D but we dont.... :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Windows Phone 7 'NoDo' updates start in Europe with unlocked phones

On March 22, Microsoft began trickling out the first of its major Windows Phone 7 operating-system updates, codenamed “NoDo.”

“We’ve begun to gradually roll out the Copy & Paste update, starting small with open market phone customers in parts of Europe this week. More to come,” said a Microsoft spokesperson, when I asked about the company’s planned timetable for the rollout.

NoDo includes, as the spokesperson noted, copy-and-paste functionality. It also includes, as expected, improvements to Marketplace Search, improvements in app performance, wifi performance, messaging improvements and overall OS performance tweaks. (MobileTechWorld.com has an itemized list of all the updates that are part of NoDo.)

Microsoft originally planned to roll out the NoDo update earlier this year. After a rocky “minor” update to WP7 handsets, company officials decided to postpone the NoDo update until the latter half of this month. I had heard from my contacts that NoDo’s rollout finally would kick off this week.

It sounds as though Microsoft and its carrier partners are going to take possibly as long as four weeks to roll out NoDo to all existing phone customers.Microsoft officials have said the company has shipped two million WP7 handsets to its retail partners to date.

New WP7 handsets, like the recently announced HTC Arrive on Sprint, are shipping with NoDo preinstalled. Verizon users still don’t have any WP7 handsets available to us, but there has been talk that Verizon might finally get the HTC Trophy WP7 handsets on their network — or at least announce intentions to do so — before the end of March.

Source: ZDNet.com - All About Microsoft (Mary-Jo Foley)

UPDATE:
    Deutsche Telekom just confirmed in a tweet to me that it's (only Germany?) NoDo updates (for the HTC 7 Mozart and Samsung Omnia 7) is planned for end of April! Now that's really late; other carriers haven't replied yet!

Source: the::unwired.net

Deutsche Telekom tweet

If that's frequently the case, then the carriers are really going to harm if not outright kill Windows Phone 7. :(

Yup. And if that's the case I'll be moving away from wp7. Already moved away from android cause of that. After that only iPhone left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

O2 in the UK says early April for the NoDo update for HD7. I would imagine we'll be roughly the same.

Still plenty of time for others to get the update first and work on a way of sideloading apps on NoDo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Yup. And if that's the case I'll be moving away from wp7. Already moved away from android cause of that. After that only iPhone left

but you don't need updates if you have the features?

but you don't need updates if you have the features?

Yeah well i wouldnt care if we did. But we dont have them.

I just wish Microsoft put more pressure on the carriers to produce the update faster. If a multinational company with tons of cash to use cant do this then its big lol.

I had the NoDo update on my ex-HD7 more than a month ago. Thats how long ago it was out. Even longer id say. That was only a leak.

Microsoft intended to have equal phone update times for all. Agreesive entry to the market with agressive bring more updates and more features to attract people back to Windows away from Android and iPhone. Tbh so far its now working :(

Tbh i love WP7. Just their ruining it with the service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

I was reffering to Android as you stated in an earlier post that part of the reason you switched was updates

I liked it in a way that you could mess around with it when your bored. But most of the time it caused more problems than solutions.

Battery life was worse and Gameloft Games always froze on me and had to overclock the phone to play them properly lol.

Coming from Windows Mobile it just seemed like it was an updated version of it.

I think if this keeps up ill just find a Nexus one for a while and keep that till MS starts taking this more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mine is up for sale. The battery life is the main concern. Died on me today halfway through the day and we're getting Blackberries in work tomorrow so I'm going to give that a try. All I essentially use is Facebook, Email, Calls and Texts anyways so I should be okay.

• Advertisement

did u have it charged in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yup, was fully charged. It's been an ongoing thing. It's always been tight, where I've had to charge it in the car going home, but it died 3 hours before hometime today and there was no excessive usage (ie games, internet browsing), just email (push email granted, but I need it), calls and texts.

Well push email is a battery killer. I have data always on, listen to music play an odd game and some internet. Works out just a day for me. Which is grand. Maybe u got a faulty battery?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/features/update-schedule-world.aspx

Microsoft took effort to make a graph of what stage are carriers at delivering the update.

Accroding to their data their scheduling (which can take no longer than 10 days)

Then delivering stage which can take a couple weeks. Knowing theres not too many of us on Meteor and Eircom i doubt that will take too long.

So a week ETA?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

One thing I've found with the Omnia is that the battery seems to get better with age. I've had it a few weeks now, the first week or two I just about got a day out of it, now I'm getting nearly two (most of the time) with higher usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

stevenmu wrote: »
    One thing I've found with the Omnia is that the battery seems to get better with age. I've had it a few weeks now, the first week or two I just about got a day out of it, now I'm getting nearly two (most of the time) with higher usage.
    So I'm not going crazy, awesome! :D

Im getting a good day :)

But thats with fairly heavy usage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Tried this around 20 times and it was a NoGo.

Kept getting an error. When i checked the error code online it said that i had an available update. When i tried to switch of data after multiple different times i still got errors.

So gave up :)

Either Meteor Omnia 7 updates are on scheduling stage so it should be here this week or next.

Hope this solves the long loading times in normal apps and gets rid of choppiness when scrolling :S Hate using the mobile version of FB and Twitter on the browser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Tried this around 20 times and it was a NoGo.

You need to turn off the data at a sweet spot, time it until you get the error if you don't turn off the data, and subtract about a second from that. At that T-1, turn off the data.

The problem is that the time for me varies from 24-32 secs. Ive tried it many times to get it around as closest as i can before it shows error.

But never worked. Im tired of trying at this stage.

Why couldnt it had been as easy as flashing a new rom on the HD7 :)

The XDA method was also, sadly, not a success for me. :)

Too bad since so many others got it working.

I tried the technique again today and dear God it worked.

The XDA thread had new instructions stating that what you can alternatively do is to disable the data connection and toggle Wi-Fi off instead. After a few tries (literally three or four) with this method the update appeared for me.

The time it took to check for updates varied from around 15-50 seconds, but I turned it off at 35 seconds and it went on for another few seconds before coming back with the update.

Nice. :)

Has anyone with an LG Optimus 7 gotten this method to work?

Me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Am I the only one holding off on this update until somebody figures out how to sideload apps under NoDo?

I like to test beta apps off xda and for other developers, but I don't fancy spending 100 euro on a developers licence!

Happy days :D got it working :D Downloading the update now :D

• Advertisement

Me! :)

How long did you wait before turning off your data connection? I cant seem to get it right :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement