Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Free AntiVirus Software

• 05-05-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My AVG AntiVirus is now out of date and they want me to upgrade and pay.

I dont want to pay. What are my options for the best AntiVirus software FREE out there at the momemt. Or could anyone direct me to some other thread as im sure its a hot topic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭acein1

hi avg 8.5 is still FREE,but my advise is get "avast" also free and much better than avg imho http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 lickarse2

warrenaldo wrote: »
    Hi folks,

My AVG AntiVirus is now out of date and they want me to upgrade and pay.

I dont want to pay. What are my options for the best AntiVirus software FREE out there at the momemt. Or could anyone direct me to some other thread as im sure its a hot topic?

Definitely you don't have to pay. I've used both Avast and AVG and I find AVG better.

Personal preference I suppose. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarsarsar

Is it not a bad thing to use two antivirus softwares at the same time? Thought I heard that before :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Think he meant at different times. Find Avira even better than the other 2.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Find Avira even better than the other 2

Would agree. Really like Avira. Light on resources and has a very good detection rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

For Laptop I use for traveling and for Friends and Family who only use their laptop for surfing,then I use AVG with Windows Defender and every now and again I use the online scanner from ESET to check if I have any virus/Trojans etc to check that the free applications do not pick anything up.

So far It has not given me false positives like some of the others or try to get me to buy the application like some of the other online scanners. I have tried Norton, Mcafee and Kaspersky before and I always had problems with them slowing down my laptop and not picking up or preventing all of the lastest online nasties. The Laptop running AVG with Window defender runs better than having Norton.

Free ESET online scanner. Use Internet Explorer to do the scan as it doesn't work well with other browers.
    http://www.eset.ie/onlinescan/

My main Laptop I use ESET Smart Security 4, light on CPU, I never had a problems and on three year licence , I can always download the lastest version without having to buy the software for the lastest version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I've used AVG for a long time but had a lot of trouble one time with a particular version with updating, so switched to Avira Antivir. An excellent antivirus program, good detection and low on resources. Never had any trouble with it. The only think is when it updates an ad pops up on screen but not a big deal.

You can also use online virus checkers to be sure of particular files which uses all the major antivirus programs to scan the file. VirusTotal, Virus.Org, Online malware scan, etc.

The new Avira has anti Spyware protection. Real time programs like SUPERantispyware may conflict.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,176 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Does antisuperspyware conflict with AVG free ?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Does antisuperspyware conflict with AVG free ?

Not sure, but I think they both may do the same thing. Bear in mind it's the new free version of SUPERantispyware I had the problems with as it has real time protection.

Did a scan with Malwarebytes and it picked up a trojan, so I'm wary of running both. Having said that, it could have been me, not the programs! :o

It's something people need to be aware of though. As the free anti spyware programs start to provide real time protection and the free AV's start providing anti spyware protection, they could well conflict. It's getting very hard to avoid all in one protection from one company!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MollyRose

Hi,

Does AVG antivirus software work on both Windows and Linux(Ubuntu)? If not, what would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Mollyrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Avira or Avast are recommended around here.
    powerjohn wrote: »
    spam was here

3 posts all promoting that - poor shill attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

I've used both Norton and Mcafee but find AVG a lot better for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MollyRose

Thanks for replying to my query. So can I take it that Avira, AVG etc will work on both windows vista and linux(ubuntu) machines?

thanks again,
    Mollyrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

MollyRose wrote: »
    Thanks for replying to my query. So can I take it that Avira, AVG etc will work on both windows vista and linux(ubuntu) machines?

thanks again,
    Mollyrose
    Windows applications generally won't work on Linux unless you have something like Wine installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭smilerf

avira is the best imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

sarsarsar wrote: »
    Is it not a bad thing to use two antivirus softwares at the same time? Thought I heard that before :confused:
    Yes it is, it's pointless and they are guaranteed to interfere with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I tried running both avast and antivir on my laptop with only antivir real time scanning enabled. Fine until i had to run a full system scan..the computer got very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm now using Panda AV and it looks to work OK.

Do a google search for "top ten anti-virus" and go with what comes up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Id recommend Avast AV and Spybot for spyware removal.
    Have used them both for years and very happy, and free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

I just got a new laptop and downloaded Microsoft security essentials, im just wondering do I need something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭smilerf

ondarack wrote: »
    I just got a new laptop and downloaded Microsoft security essentials, im just wondering do I need something else?
    Malwarebytes

Advertisement