Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waving the flag for Spell Czechs

• 19-03-2010 11:45pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This is a call for the Spell Czechs forum to be made public/read-only in the same way Soccer is. Presently, nobody knows of its existence unless they happen to see the thread in the Feedback. Recently, there has been an upsurge in the number of people asking for access, and this indicates to me that it's time this forum was brought back into the main with Tar.Aldarion at the helm.

Like Soccer, it might not be everyone's cup of tea, which is why I propose the forum be made read-only to all, with a separate sub-forum requesting access and agreeing to abide by the rules. If people like what they see, they can request access. If people don't like it, no harm done - move on.

At least that way the forum will have a chance to grow, and who knows, it might be of benefit to those with literacy issues.

+1 from me for Spell Czechs to be made public/read-only with a sub-forum for requests for write access.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

From what I can remember there's a good reason for it being private.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Things can change. It should at least get a second chance with charter amendments if necessary.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If I'm right, and I'm fairly sure I am, it'll be staying private.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

edit: the following isn't intended to be slap-happy heavy-handed by the way, I'm really asking if the cart and the horse are moving as one unit without even questioning which is dragging which.

Two obvious questions:

What does the forum mod think about this proposal? (corollary: did you ask the forum mod?)

What do the forum regulars/members think about this proposal? (corollary: did you ask the forum members?)

Given that it's a hosted community forum, without those two questions being answered it's mere flag-flying I'm afraid (no offence intended but that's its actual worth), even before considering Zaph's point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

1. The forum mod is all for it. I asked him what he thought before I posted the suggestion here to get thoughts and ideas, and I posted the thread with his approval.

2. I haven't put the idea to the members at all because I don't feel it's not my place to. I'm not the forum mod. If the suggestion gets support, then I think it would be the mod's job to point this thread out to the members, and let them discuss the outcome.

I am very well aware the forum has a past. If I'm not mistaken, it's not the only one, but yet others have been pardoned of their previous transgressions and given a clean slate.

By the looks of things, this one won't even get a chance at a second chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Zaph wrote: »
    From what I can remember there's a good reason for it being private.
    The reasons it are private are easily changed.
    sceptre wrote: »
    edit: the following isn't intended to be slap-happy heavy-handed by the way, I'm really asking if the cart and the horse are moving as one unit without even questioning which is dragging which.

Two obvious questions:

What does the forum mod think about this proposal? (corollary: did you ask the forum mod?)

What do the forum regulars/members think about this proposal? (corollary: did you ask the forum members?)

Given that it's a hosted community forum, without those two questions being answered it's mere flag-flying I'm afraid (no offence intended but that's its actual worth), even before considering Zaph's point.
    I'm grand with it, private fora are too quiet, as nobody hears about them. I'm going to ask in the forum and see what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Why is it private its only a grammer forum???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Because they correct and disects people's posts quoting them in the forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There were a total of three posts that did that in all of 2009. Not much of an interest in it. I have talked to Zaph about a remedy via PM and also have asked the forum members opinions. Will reply in more depth after I get some more views. Now back to writing another thesis. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The reasons it are private are easily changed.

The reasons it is private ... :p

• Advertisement

¬_¬

Fair and square Tar... fair and square.......

I would keep an eye on that second ellipsis, it seems to have run away with itself. :p

¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Can I get access please?
    Pleaze?
    Purty Plewze?
    Peas?

Oh it's you...

Access granted to Spell Czechs...

....and FlirTar.

Access granted to Spell Czechs...

....and FlirTar.

Ah flirtar.... The original classic cock forum.
    Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Because they correct and disects people's posts quoting them in the forum.

hahaha cdan i have access pls tar?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I would like access please.

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    I would like access please.

Done. :)

Tigger wrote: »
    Done. :)

Not so sure you shoulda done that man. cdan looks like a genuine mistake as opposed to a sarcastic one.

He's on probation. I probe him until he spells things right.

That's how I learned there were two a's in anal.

Not so sure you shoulda done that man. cdan looks like a genuine mistake as opposed to a sarcastic one.

He's on probation. I probe him until he spells right. Then I probe him some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Ewww come on save it for flirtar dudes. :pac:

May I have access to this delightful little forum? (Spell Czechs not flirtar as I am banned from The Cuckoo Nest for posting in the ban me thread) I had my fun and that is all that mattered. I now regret having such a good time at Sarky's expense. (Is that right? Sarky's? Or is it Sarkys'?)

Sure thing.

He's on probation. I probe him until he spells right. Then I probe him some more.

Probation normally stops this sorta thing

Oh you are getting an almigthy probation for this slight.

• Advertisement

Pinochio, I wish you were a real girl.

Advertisement