Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxigen reducing number of Bin collections Drogheda Area

• 31-08-2012 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

has anyone else got a letter from Oxigen, informing them that the black bin collection will reduce from 4 collections per month to 2 collections per month?
    ie fortnightly black bin collection.

i just recently paid my recent quarterly bill and there was no mention of it when i called to pay, neither any notification by post, until i received the letter today.

so i paid my bill based on 4 black bin collections per month, and now after taking my money, they are reducing it to 2 black bin collections per month.

anyone else get this letter?

can anyone recommend a reliable bin collecton company in the Drogheda area?

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

Yep I got the letter too.

I'm a pay as you use customer, so it doesn't affect me as much (other than timing the leaving out of the bin correctly).

From what I understand in their letter, the alternative to reducing the frequency was to increase the charges, since the cost of bringing the waste to landfill was increased by the government again.

If the "dual chamber" bin lorry that Oxigen are going to use is a success, I can see other companies trying it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

gipi wrote: »

I'm a pay as you use customer, so it doesn't affect me as much (other than timing the leaving out of the bin correctly).

From what I understand in their letter, the alternative to reducing the frequency was to increase the charges, since the cost of bringing the waste to landfill was increased by the government again.

If the "dual chamber" bin lorry that Oxigen are going to use is a success, I can see other companies trying it too.

I got this letter too. I think what they are saying is reasonable enough. Rather than just increasing prices, they are trying to hit their customers in the pocket less, even if it effects the service. I fill a smaller bin once a week so I guess I'll have to get the bigger bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭troops

IE2012 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a reliable bin collecton company in the Drogheda area?

:mad:

i use panda...black bin every week, green every 2nd week...no problems with them at all..think they're about 280 for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭IE2012

drogdub wrote: »
    I got this letter too. I think what they are saying is reasonable enough. Rather than just increasing prices, they are trying to hit their customers in the pocket less, even if it effects the service. I fill a smaller bin once a week so I guess I'll have to get the bigger bin.

its similar to a price increase, you are getting less for your money.

when i paid my quarters bill by phone a few weeks ago, i was not told that they were changing anything, and i expected my bin to be collected every week.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The government's increased land-fill charges are to make more money first, encourage more recycling second.

Plenty of people are still chucking everything into the black bin. Especially plastic bottles which can be dropped at most bottle-banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Panda seem to be doing a good job at the moment. I switched to panda about 8 months ago and they have been good so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My understanding was that the company is going to have their fees doubled. In such a situation, the customer is faced with two options....

1. Half the collections.
    2. Double the price.

While its not ideal, I'd much rather option one to option two....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭IE2012

My understanding was that the company is going to have their fees doubled. In such a situation, the customer is faced with two options....

1. Half the collections.
    2. Double the price.

While its not ideal, I'd much rather option one to option two....

my point was that when i phoned to pay, i was not told of pending changes, either on the phone, or by post.

if i had been told in advance i would have changed provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

The op should have been told of the changes when he was making a payment. I dont think people should have to settle for either option. Vote with your feet switch to panda who are still offering a weekly black bin collection and not charging any extra. If a company is charging more for a service than another provider people need to switch companies demand a refund because all oxygen customers payed and agreed to have there bins collected on a weekly basis now that oxygen are changing the terms its time to look for a refund and go else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

gipi wrote: »

So far I haven't seen any of these "dual chamber" trucks on the road any morning I'm going to work .
    I have seen the old trucks with the two curtains covering the back re-painted in black on one side and green on the other .

Around our area everyone got extra bags to cope with the extra waste .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭TorresLegend

Got the same letter from Oxigen. They say they provide 5 extra bags in case you have no room in the bin every two weeks. How often do they provide these bags? Because theoretically you'd get 5 of the Oxigen bags in a bin, so I'd hope it is five bags every two weeks, but doubt this is the case. Has anyone heard any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The government charges for waste have increased from €30 per Ton to €60 per Ton (think that's what I read in the letter), so halving the collections seemed fair enough, however....

According to this article - http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ireland-has-third-highest-waste-level-per-capita-147581.html the average individual produces 742kg of waste per annum, so a family of 4 produces approx. 3 Tons of waste per year. That would only mean an increase of €90 per annum to Oxigen whereas the overall effect of halving the collections is actually another €280 per annum. Bit of a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Got the same letter from Oxigen. They say they provide 5 extra bags in case you have no room in the bin every two weeks. How often do they provide these bags? Because theoretically you'd get 5 of the Oxigen bags in a bin, so I'd hope it is five bags every two weeks, but doubt this is the case. Has anyone heard any more?

I rang and asked about this. The 5 bags are only a temporary measure to get us used to the new schedule. They will be left with the bin at the next collection so for me its in 2 weeks time. This will be a once off.

Although the collection is being halved which is frustrating for me its still a cheaper option at 54 per quarter, compared to 70 per quarter w Panda and 78 per quarter w Tag a bin.

If anyone has gotten a better deal please let me know as I am open to switching!

Try ace recycling they are very good .

Plus the tax/ levy on landfil waste has gone up which is a percentage of the overall cost of disposal .
    If waste was €70 per tonne + €30 tax =€100 per tonne .
    And the tax is doubled so
    €70 + €60 = €130 per tonne !
    So total cost is not doubled .

Plus most company's in the reigon use the incinerator in duleek so I'm not sure if a landfill increase would even effect the total cost afaik ?

And if oxygen are doin half the job should they not charge half price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I rang panda and they aren't taking any new customers until the new year.

proably waiting to see if oxigen get away with it and they will do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Try ace recycling they are very good .

Do they service Drogheda an any idea on prices? The website hasn't pricing info.

I'm not sure tbh
    I know they do Ardee dunleer Collon and maybe tullyallen

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭troops

I rang panda and they aren't taking any new customers until the new year.

any idea if panda are going down to a fortnightly collection or increasing prices in Jan. 2013?

My bill is due in a few weeks and wondering should I pay the year up front in case they increase charges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I stopped using the green bin for recycling when they went down to two collections per month. I still have the same amount of waste, so I use both bins for it. Its OK in the winter but the smell in summer can be tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Harry Tasker

We got the same letter from Oxigen so swiftly moved to Tag-a-bin!

I've to hold on to the bins from Oxigen for a month or suffer a €50 cancellation fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

well the latest development in the bin saga is hitting tag bin customers like me...I'm with Panda and got a letter saying that they're introducing a handling charge of €76 per year. I live with my bf and I am an avid recycler so only put the black bin out last night for the first time since we moved into our new house at the start of April (it was only 2/3 full but I was under pressure to decide if I was going to stay with Panda and so wanted the bin emptied). So that's a black bin out every 12 weeks or so, which is four times per year. Green bin out about every 8 weeks so 6 times per year. Last year I paid 4 x 9.50= 38 and 6 x 4.50 = 27 so a total of 65 euro for waste last year. With the new charge our cost has gone up over 100%...just thoroughly pissed off. I'd be ok with it if they removed the charge for lifting the green bin as Greenstar do in Wicklow as they are making money off that bin.

I rang TagABin and they have a similar pricing structure.

A year with Panda is €312 at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Not sure if AES cover Drogheda but we use them here in Bettystown. 22.50 a month DD and they collect general waste every week and recycling every fortnight.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Oxigen do a lift every fortnight and have a pay as you go service with no yearly charge. €10.50 for the black bin and €4.50 for the green bin. You just top up your account as you need to. Perfect for low use customers

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

That sounds good...I'll give them a ring. Thanks for the heads up!

That sounds good...I'll give them a ring. Thanks for the heads up!

You can sign up online too

http://www.oxigen.ie/app/index.php

When we signed up we got an extra €25 credit on our account when paying the initial €25 in. Dunno if that's still available but make sure to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Maybe off track here but what about the V+W recycling centres in Drogheda,Dundalk and Ardee? €2 in and dump all (almost) recyclable stuff you can?

Maybe off track here but what about the V+W recycling centres in Drogheda,Dundalk and Ardee? €2 in and dump all (almost) recyclable stuff you can?

Household waste still costs per bag so you're limited as to what you can dump. An average black bin will hold around 6 large black refuse sacks and costs €10.50 to get rid of. It would cost approx. €32 I think at the recycle centre and that's if you build it up and then bring it for a once off entrance fee. You then have the hassle of transporting some pretty filthy bins in your car on top of fuel costs. I find the recycle centre is great for when you have a lot of recyclables to clear out like electronics, wood, cardboard etc but very uneconomical for household waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

LFCFan wrote: »
    Oxigen do a lift every fortnight and have a pay as you go service with no yearly charge. €10.50 for the black bin and €4.50 for the green bin. You just top up your account as you need to. Perfect for low use customers

Signed up for it today (oxygen) as I was outraged by letter from panda. Moved to panda only a few months ago so wasn't going to stick around for fees as a low user. Rung around and compared prices and it Seems like best choice for now -provided no fees will come in.

Didn't offer me 25extra credit though. If anyone gets it let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

I don;t know if Ace cover drogheda but we switched to them from Oxygen for the same reason

Advertisement