Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Matt finish on leather I use Chemical Guys Liquid leather. I don't use creams as it makes them sticky and shiny.

Ditto. This stuff also put's a nice smell in the car next morning when you open the door.
    Spray it on and sread it to leave a shine, rub it in well to have a matt finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Does this product ring a bell with anyone..I picked it up in Euro2 shop on talbot street for €2..of course..picked it up out of curiousity.

Reminded me of the Meguiars ScratchX packaging. The website just goes to a landing page..Not brave enough to use the stuff might try it on a scratch panel.

img0324large.jpg

img0318large.jpg

img0319large.jpg

Looks to be a legit product:

Heres a review on their wax

www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9250

Impulse purchase(s) of the week :D...(I got the Chemical Guys blacklight with the polisher)

193311.JPG

^^ Fair play.
    Nice purchase there, That Blacklight is not bad at all. You should have got a bottle of CG Hybrid V7 to "top it up" after washes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Nayeli Shaggy Summer

Nice DA kit there, you must really have the bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Autoglym makes a fantastic feeling leather balm. Its a rich kind of shinyness. Love the stuff but their cleaner is a waste, a babywipe does a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

lomb wrote: »
    Autoglym makes a fantastic feeling leather balm. Its a rich kind of shinyness. Love the stuff but their cleaner is a waste, a babywipe does a better job.

Baby wipes can strip the nutrients out of leather and cause it to crack and harden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Baby wipes can strip the nutrients out of leather and cause it to crack and harden.

Which the autoglym stuff puts back in;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

lomb wrote: »
    Which the autoglym stuff puts back in;)

Why strip it completely though?? They say to use the Autoglym cream every 6 months depending on how much exposure the leather gets to heat and sun.

If you strip it, you're only going back to the same protection each time when you should use the AG cleaner and top up the protection every 6 months instead of it only having the same protection each time.

• Advertisement

Nice DA kit there, you must really have the bug.

Cheers yeah its easier in the long run..tough work buffing by hand
    vectra wrote: »
    ^^ Fair play.
    Nice purchase there, That Blacklight is not bad at all. You should have got a bottle of CG Hybrid V7 to "top it up" after washes.

Now ye tell me :p:p...I'll order some in the future.

Some of the detailers I have talked to are not that impressed with Hybrid V7 other rave about it. Personally I like to cleanse the paint with Lime Prime or SRP, then seal with CG Jetseal 109 and top with wax (AG HD). The hybrid would not bond to the wax, so I don't see the point if you wax your car.

As for leather, I read that most modern leather is sealed so the conditioners don't penetrate into it, however I do see the benefit of not letting it dry out.

Some of the detailers I have talked to are not that impressed with Hybrid V7 other rave about it. Personally I like to cleanse the paint with Lime Prime or SRP, then seal with CG Jetseal 109 and top with wax (AG HD). The hybrid would not bond to the wax, so I don't see the point if you wax your car.

Yes, but Blacklight is not a wax so Hybrid V7 is perfect for over it.
    I have used both and it works fine.

I do see blacklight and V7 being sold as a set aright. Do ye all think its important to layer products from the same manufacturer?

I do see blacklight and V7 being sold as a set aright. Do ye all think its important to layer products from the same manufacturer?

No,
    But they work good together

They say that their products work best together but I'm a pessemist when it comes to this. I think it's just a way to make people think that they can't use anything else and they then go out and buy that comany's products again.

There may well be some merit to it but I don't really believe it.

They say that their products work best together but I'm a pessemist when it comes to this. I think it's just a way to make people think that they can't use anything else and they then go out and buy that comany's products again.

All down to Marketing.
    The only reason I suggested getting Hybrid V7 to top off Blacklight is becauce I used these and found they did a good job.
    If anyone used them and found them not good or found a better product over Blacklight then this is what detailing advice is all about :cool:

I did a bit of paint correcting this weekend on challengemaster's BMW after washing, claying, washing and drying.

I used a Kestrel DA, medium cutting pad and Menzerna Medium cut polish - all courtesy of conzy's cousin.

I only did the bonnet which we divided into 4 parts and I must say, I was surprised at the results I got in only a few minutes and 2 passes. There was a very noticable difference between polished and unpolished sections with regard to both swirl marks and obviously, colour depth. Himself was happy out :D

The reason for just doing the bonnet was because we were doing this up to 12 on saturday night and the frost was setting in. Due to the cold, the polish wasn't drying/hazing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

You can mix and match products, so long as the components of the various products are compatible. In other words a carnauba wax will sit on top of an acrylic sealant, but an acrylic sealant will not bond to a carnauba wax. And the same would apply for detailing sprays, it really depends on the contents, what exactly will work. Generally, it is better to use products from the same manufacturer in a system if layering. But it is more important to know if one product contains any cleaners or a high solvent content, otherwise it could compromise what it is been layered over. Also a sealant or wax or combinations of both, are three different options, one will give a better look or finish to a certain type of paint or colour than the others will.

AutoGlym EGP is very fussy about what it will bond to, many competing products are not. If I was to choose some of the best polishes, glazes, sealants and waxes, they would all be different brands.

In America for example many different brands, have the same product manufacturer. So their products are extremely similar or have generic formulas. They just market themselves differently and so charge accordingly.

Thanks for that Tom!

There was talk of someone doing a day's lesson in how to properly wash, polish, wax a car a while ago.

Would this be an option for you? It would be great for the forum and would be a meet in itself.

• Advertisement

It may not be critical to use the same brand throughout, but that doesn't mean that doing so will not give a better result. Manufacturers will source the active ingredients of their products from the big chemical companies. If there is consistency throughout their range (e.g. same type of ingredients, say a certain type of polymer), well then it follows that they will work better together.

But ultimately as mentioned already, marketing plays a big part in what branded products are about. Some brands like to create a lifestyle brand, where consumers will buy into whatever story or so called values they represent. Get them to identify with the brand for repeat business, increased sales and profits.

Would this be an option for you? It would be great for the forum and would be a meet in itself.

Maybe later on in the year.

In the meantime, these are a few that will give a very good idea for everyone who's interested.

http://www.autogeek.net/showcargarage.html

http://www.autogeek.net/video-ascg.html

http://paintcarendetailing.com/video.html

Update on my purchase:

It seems I made a mistake in the checkout and order the CG xxx wax instead of the blacklight!

Not too worry..Larry from Cleancar called me up this morning and said he saw my post on here and asked what I wanted and amended the order..He told me to give him a shout when I've the DA and he'll give me a few pointers on how to use it best.

Can't argue with that for service :cool:

Larry is dead sound alright, always send refresher lollies and sweets with you invoice too which is a nice touch.

Would it be an idea to get a detailer to sponsor a detailing forum/sub-forum?

It might also persuade the admins to give the go-ahead for it.

I just ordered the G-Technic black trim restorer from cleancar.

Anyone else use this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I did a bit of paint correcting this weekend on challengemaster's BMW after washing, claying, washing and drying.

I used a Kestrel DA, medium cutting pad and Menzerna Medium cut polish - all courtesy of conzy's cousin.

I only did the bonnet which we divided into 4 parts and I must say, I was surprised at the results I got in only a few minutes and 2 passes. There was a very noticable difference between polished and unpolished sections with regard to both swirl marks and obviously, colour depth. Himself was happy out :D

The reason for just doing the bonnet was because we were doing this up to 12 on saturday night and the frost was setting in. Due to the cold, the polish wasn't drying/hazing properly.

Wanna do mine? :D

It was a simple question - no need for the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

Is it normal enough for a da to sound a bit rattely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

McP2011 wrote: »
    Is it normal enough for a da to sound a bit rattely?

Yeah, they can be noisy little buggers

Edit: Just to clarify

When switched on they are noisy and when switched off there would be a rattle when you shake it due to the orbital nature of the head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement