Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior Garda comments on Roma, Dubs, Guinness and Footlocker shoes :)

• 31-10-2011 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

All in the one article about begging. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1031/1224306807572.html
    Insp Patrick McMenamin of Pearse Street Garda station told councillors on the Dublin Regional Authority last month that 540 beggars have been arrested and 110 cases have been processed by the District Court since February.

Almost two-thirds of arrested beggars are “foreign nationals”, mostly Roma Gypsies, for whom begging was part of their culture and seen as a legitimate way of making a living, Insp McMenamin said.

“For us to try to change that culture here would be like trying to change people in Dublin from drinking Guinness; it’s their culture and they do not see anything wrong with it.”
    A large proportion of this money was confiscated following raids on a bus which leaves Dublin each Saturday for Romania.

During one raid in July, the bus was stopped in Dublin Port and a “barefoot beggar” who operates on Grafton Street in Dublin city centre and who is known to gardaí was found to be carrying €1,800 in €50 notes.

“While he may look pretty sad on Grafton Street, I can assure you that he is manipulating people who are giving him the money.”

People who were genuinely moved by the man’s plight had been known to buy footwear for him in sports shops on Grafton Street, Insp McMenamin said.

“It’s known to ourselves that people will go in and buy him runners.

“He has more runners I think than the Foot Locker at this stage.”

Is this a Garda with a sense of humour? :eek: :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

ah the barefoot beggar hes a class act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Each Roma caught begging should be turfed out of the country and never let back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm offended by the Guinness comments, how dare he...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

woodoo wrote: »
    Anyone caught begging should be turfed out of the country and never let back in.

Fixed for the PC brigade.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Must be a Corkman, Murphys only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

People need to stop giving beggars money.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Maybe we should all try the same trick, see if we get a few decent pairs of runners...

Has to be said though, if we were in a country and broke the law we'd get a nice prison sentence, and a cell with a b1tch/bubba who took us under his/her wing for a few favours, or turfed outta the country.

Pity we can't do the same, by sending people who break the law back to where they came from, has to save us money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it's all the EU's fault with all their human rights laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Some Roma's living in my area were found with stolen articles from a local graveyard at the house, guess dole and begging wasn't good enough for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

woodoo wrote: »
    Each Roma caught begging should be turfed out of the country and never let back in.

Unfortunately there is no way to stop people coming into the country. The border is wide open. Send the shoeless beggar home, and he will be back in a week or two be it via bus, plane or train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

who's giving beggars €50 notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Anyone for a good old fashioned lynching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

This is the reason I do not give money to beggars, fcuk the lot of them out of the country.
    Fair play to the Inspector, like his comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

-Snip-

phasers wrote: »
    who's giving beggars €50 notes?

I would say he changed his coins for notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ireland is just getting what's being going on in Europe for years
    Last time I was in Rome the Roma were everywhere begging. Particularly around Tibertina. And coming into shops with coins to change for notes, yeah anecdotal but of course it happens in shops

The Roma in Roma, there's a pun there somewhere
    hondasam wrote: »
    This is the reason I do not give money to beggars, fcuk the lot of them out of the country.

In the article one third were Irish
    You can't boot Irish people out of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

He gets the bus to Romania?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Captain Limerick

I saw a Roma beggar on the street,
    Who had nothing on his poor feet,
    I hadn't read this here news,
    So I bought him some shoes,
    I wasn't aware of the deceit!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

afatbollix wrote: »
    He gets the bus to Romania?
    it works out very cheap and there is more chance of walking away with an extra suitcase from a coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Begging is big business. It's all a scam.

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    Ireland is just getting what's being going on in Europe for years
    Last time I was in Rome the Roma were everywhere begging. Particularly around Tibertina. And coming into shops with coins to change for notes, yeah anecdotal but of course it happens in shops

The Roma in Roma, there's a pun there somewhere

In the article one third were Irish
    You can't boot Irish people out of the country

The Irish beggars are not getting that much money. I will clarify, Roma beggars should be fcuked out of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I hate Roma's with a passion

That's a bit over the top, no ? They're pretty much all the same, Borzas, Macaris, Silvios et al, they're all equally as yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Wouldn't it be fantastic to live in a country where all elements of the State Apparatus dealt with problems like these honestly.

Can you imagine Enda Kenny and the Garda Commissioner releasing a statement tomorrow along the lines of this.

"People of Ireland,

It has come to our atttention though various Garda operations that begging from Roma Gypsies is a highly sophisticated criminal operation that benefits only the powerful males in their society and subjugates Women and Children.

We implore all citizens to desist from giving any money or resources to these people as it is counter-productive to the development of the Roma people.

Regards"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

hondasam wrote: »
    The Irish beggars are not getting that much money. I will clarify, Roma beggars should be fcuked out of the country.

The big multi-millionaire boss-men living in their palatial estates in Roma-central would send them back here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

galwayrush wrote: »
    Some Roma's living in my area were found with stolen articles from a local graveyard at the house, guess dole and begging wasn't good enough for them.

Your sig

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world
    Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled "

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

only give to irish beggars its like the buy irish thing
    maybe there should be a bord bia for beggars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I hate Roma's with a passion

Yeah, I prefer Dolmio, with all its GM goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I used to have to step over that shoeless shaky c**t every morning on the way to work...He'll be getting my shoes on his feet the next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

i have seen a documentery on the bbc recently, they reconed that one six year old kid that they were secretly filming was earning up to 500 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Bambi wrote: »
    I used to have to step over that shoeless shaky c**t every morning on the way to work...He'll be getting my shoes on his feet the next time :)
    proof ^ that most child stars end up as bitter adults. I preferred when you were skipping through the forest, thrilling us with your escapes from peril Bambi. Now you are just a cynical old dear.:)

Advertisement