Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

450 job losses announced at Iarnród Éireann

• 01-06-2012 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

How come this news was brought in after the voting ?

So it looks like more than the 2700's being axed, I wonder how many of these jobs will come from the top?

The job losses, which the company says are part of a cost containment programme aimed at tackling a deficit of €45.3m, represent almost 11% of the company’s workforce.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0601/450-job-losses-announced-at-iarnrod-eireann.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm just surprised it didn't come sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I was surprised they've lost a third of their workforce since 2003. They seem to be counting on redundancies to make up the 450.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Vote yes for investment and jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Terrible that people will be losing their jobs,especially in todays economic environment,but this was inevitable for a company in sharp decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Saves the company money but it's another 450 on the dole, not paying tax and adding to the national debt. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It will probably be bridge inspectors, track maintenance crews etc.etc. with some more clerical staff taken on to deal with the increased administration needed for dealing with redundancy payments and pensions. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

Vote yes for investment and jobs

I'm sorry? "Investment" is not piling €45m per year in subsidies into a company that is so chronically/comically inefficient that it can get rid of 450 staff with little impact on its actual services to customers. If "austerity" would finally lead to the privatisation of CIE, it can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The company needs to be much leaner.

If it is done by voluntary redundancy it is quite possible that many of near retiring age will leave- so not adding to the dole queue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most of these job losses will more than likely be from over counter ticket sales.

NFC phone & Smart cards will no doubt take over paper tickets soon, these can be topped up on line or on the move once registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

The company needs to be much leaner.

If it is done by voluntary redundancy it is quite possible that many of near retiring age will leave- so not adding to the dole queue...

Weve been hacking them down for a few years now, not many aged 56/57 upwards. The deal will be aimed at the 55 and younger group that can afford to go. The pension changes could be what makes them go. BUT to what, means tested dole?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

BlueCam wrote: »
    If "austerity" would finally lead to the privatisation of CIE, it can't come soon enough
    Be careful what you wish for...that could subsequently lead to the acquisition of the whole thing by Deutsche Bahn, and they look out for their own country first while bleeding the assets of their overseas acquisitions dry. If you can protect against that, you'd have an excellent point about privatisation by itself, i.e. besides the whole matter being that "austerity" is not (note that the only one that gets richer is Germany while the rest of Europe gets poorer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

I've been dreaming of this day for years. IE's bloated workforce mostly consists of (in my experience) rude, poorly educated, middle-aged men who have held the job since they inherited it from their fathers after they dropped out of school aged 14. The company is notoriously difficult to break into, especially for educated college graduates. Management will see you as a threat to their own cushy job.

Don't forget, we taxpayers are essentially paying their wages via the millions in subsidies IE receives. So a saving for the company is a saving for us. Vending machines are far more efficient for ticket sales, as seen in London, Toronto, NY and practically every other city in the world. The unions are only preventing progress to protect their increasingly redundant jobs.

Saves the company money but it's another 450 on the dole, not paying tax and adding to the national debt. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    Why can't they re-train, as many private sector workers had to do to find employment. What if everybody waited around for the government to provide them with a job catering to their specific skill set (or unskilled set in this case). A bit of initiative will get one far in life. Drown or learn to swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Why can't they re-train, as many private sector workers had to do to find employment. What if everybody waited around for the government to provide them with a job catering to their specific skill set (or unskilled set in this case). A bit of initiative will get one far in life. Drown or learn to swim
    You live under the social market economy now; that's by EU treaty and therefore EU law. That is not a free market where entreprenurial spirit can thrive and everyone has a shot at making it so long as they take it.

Retraining has to be paid for, and by whom? Who is going to provide the retraining, and what jobs in the private sector will be available? Lots of retraining going on in Ireland, but they seem suited to jobs in Germany, so is the answer to restart the trend of emigration? because that never helped Ireland's economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Most of these job losses will more than likely be from over counter ticket sales.

NFC phone & Smart cards will no doubt take over paper tickets soon, these can be topped up on line or on the move once registered.

Great news for fattys, much easier to get tickets, no effort involved. Hopefully technology will replace all jobs someday so we can all live in fatty bliss on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Great news for fattys, much easier to get tickets, no effort involved. Hopefully technology will replace all jobs someday so we can all live in fatty bliss on the internet.

You may have a point with some other industries but I'd hardly think of queueing for 5 minutes to buy a ticket from the sole open window as a good workout.

The decline of the railway due to high car ownership and a modern and uncongested motorway network is inevitable. I suppose staff are one of the easiest ways to cut a few million costs off your P&L without much effort.

Hopefully everyone who goes will be delighted with their opportunity.

Do IÉ pensioners continue to get free travel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

BlueCam wrote: »
    I'm sorry? "Investment" is not piling €45m per year in subsidies into a company that is so chronically/comically inefficient that it can get rid of 450 staff with little impact on its actual services to customers. If "austerity" would finally lead to the privatisation of CIE, it can't come soon enough.

You may eat those words if it happens. Anyway. Who would buy it?
    The network still needs massive amounts of money each year on track maintenance. No point buying a fleet of rolling stock and then halving the budget on Per-way and bridge works. Which I believe would happen.

There has been massive cost cutting exercises in the last year already. I hate to think what more will do . Just because ticket sales are down(because less people are going to work), we should not abandon our railway system. We will need it more as things get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Most of the ticket inspectors and staff in I come into contact with are ignorant pigs. I have seen them being really rude to old people and women with prams and children etc.

In my local station here would not be anybody in the station around lunch time or on the weekends and the ticket machine is not working half the time. Then some ignorant fug ticket inspector would come up and that giving grief to all the people who had not got tickets. It has happened a few times. The last time he was so rude to a girl with a baby. I told him to have some manors in dealing with the people who are paying his wages and he threatened to throw me off the train. I complained about it and never even got a reply.

I hope some of them get the boot. They should be sacked, never mind redundancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Most of the ticket inspectors and staff in I come into contact with are ignorant pigs. I have seen them being really rude to old people and women with prams and children etc.

In my local station here would not be anybody in the station around lunch time or on the weekends and the ticket machine is not working half the time. Then some ignorant fug ticket inspector would come up and that giving grief to all the people who had not got tickets. It has happened a few times. The last time he was so rude to a girl with a baby. I told him to have some manors in dealing with the people who are paying his wages and he threatened to throw me off the train. I complained about it and never even got a reply.

I hope some of them get the boot. They should be sacked, never mind redundancy.
    Most of the Inspectors and staff of all the CIE group of companies are the exact opposite to what you claim. But as with all sections of the community and society there are always going to be a certain Quota of ignorant bone idle time crunchers who bring their trade/job/profession into disrepute. they are just there to pass the time as they know they cant be sacked or made redundant because of the strength of their unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

BE Next in to be told about cuts and then DB at the end of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It makes me wonder how IE can cut 450 jobs without cutting services.

IF THEY CAN, then it just goes to prove what a bloated waste of money they have always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

This has been a charming thread so far. Even if you can't stomach your hatred of the IE workers (and shortly the rest of CIE) consider the effect on the shops and businesses that will now have a customer on severance window-shopping wistfully and wondering will it last as government benefits are pushed out to older age eligibilities.

It's a sad commentary on how the Irish electorate operates that the government has to sell a treaty with "jobs" but force deferral of cuts - not the first time. In this once again we see how CIE are just political tools without the freedom of action enjoyed by the privateers - how many thousands would the CIE companies have saved if they had been able to announce cuts on their schedule and not deferred at the behest of a Minister (and I don't blame Varadkar - ANY minister would have done likewise, they are prisoners of their Humphreys, I'm merely noting that when the rubber hit the road despite his "straight talking" persona he is just like Dempsey et al before him)

As for the 450 - there's several jobs to be found in either closing or automating Limerick Junction-Waterford, Waterford Yard and Killonan Cabin-Ballybrophy but surely there isn't 450. The rest of the lines are mostly central control with the odd manual LC like Buttevant. So either massive cuts in service are coming or what's going to happen is IE are going to contractorise more PerWay, reducing their own headcount which makes the media vultures happy but which doesn't make much change to the net. As it stands who will bet against some head office folks being severed and then hired back as consultants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

The company is notoriously difficult to break into, especially for educated college graduates.

Sorry but that's total garbage.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    The company is notoriously difficult to break into, especially for educated college graduates.

Sorry but that's total garbage.
    Like I said, it's my personal experience. In my local station it's been the same group of hagged, grumpy faces behind the ticket counter and on the platforms for donkey's years. If you can link to graduate positions being advertised for IE I will retract my statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Like I said, it's my personal experience. In my local station it's been the same group of hagged, grumpy faces behind the ticket counter and on the platforms for donkey's years. If you can link to graduate positions being advertised for IE I will retract my statement.

Why on earth would CIE/IE need to employ graduates as station staff? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

dowlingm wrote: »
    So either massive cuts in service are coming or what's going to happen is IE are going to contractorise more PerWay, reducing their own headcount which makes the media vultures happy but which doesn't make much change to the net. As it stands who will bet against some head office folks being severed and then hired back as consultants?

This is simply not true. Contractors, who can lose there job in a second, out- preform by far most staff who cant be sacked.
    Result equals much more productivity.
    Contractors with IR supervision is whats happening now.

Im guessing there is going to be more of it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Are these real job losses or early retirements/voluntary redundancies where people leave by choice as they will be better off elsewhere?

n97 mini wrote: »
    Are these real job losses or early retirements/voluntary redundancies where people leave by choice as they will be better off elsewhere?

It starts off as Job losses, then they discuss and 'Tweek' it (that word again!) to guys that want out with a lump. Many who want to go early and have been a credit to the company and a few who have done the customers no favours and wont be missed.

corktina wrote: »
    It makes me wonder how IE can cut 450 jobs without cutting services.

IF THEY CAN, then it just goes to prove what a bloated waste of money they have always been.

They need to balance things out more, 5 lads in Dun laoghaire doing their bit. 0 in Killiney 0 in Shankill...........Because of shortages to cover Holidays or meal breaks.
    But this shows again the auto ticket system can work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I've been dreaming of this day for years. IE's bloated workforce mostly consists of (in my experience) rude, poorly educated, middle-aged men who have held the job since they inherited it from their fathers after they dropped out of school aged 14. The company is notoriously difficult to break into, especially for educated college graduates. Management will see you as a threat to their own cushy job.

Don't forget, we taxpayers are essentially paying their wages via the millions in subsidies IE receives. So a saving for the company is a saving for us. Vending machines are far more efficient for ticket sales, as seen in London, Toronto, NY and practically every other city in the world. The unions are only preventing progress to protect their increasingly redundant jobs.

Shame on you if you have been dreaming of people loosing their jobs.
    There will be no saving for you, you will still be paying the same amount of tax if you are paying any at all.
    Have you ever tried looking for work there?

Advertisement