Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Staff Jobs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siv4444

No news either, however id say itl be pretty close to the date they stated in letter!! We're still in the running until told otherwise!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 4n6

Hello Folks

Just my two cent's worth:

Interesting read and comments about the assistant investigator PSNI roles.

It made it clear on the PSNI website that "they were looking for RC, Women etc., as these were under-represented within the PSNI community......" It is clear and unequivocal intent that they according to their own standards need to show fairness and impartiality to attract people from all walks of life with suitable qualifications and experience to match the position.

I hope this is the case and that fairness and equity might be gallant winners here!

According to the specification the "essential" and "desirable" AI profile will be taken into consideration. When there are large numbers of applications then the "desirable" criteria will be used instead. "Experience of criminal investigations" is challenging to the non-police candidates and it will be interesting to see under the FOI the number of ex-police that secure these positions. I can only hope that they are going to select from a large pool of candidates using their own adherence to their policies for selection and that it remains fair and transparent.

I received the confirmation letter of "completed application form" from Grafton Recruitment. They state that short-listing is currently being completed and that we will be informed by Friday 19th August 2011.

After this the selection process includes testing, details of assessment to those lucky enough to meet the short-listing criteria.

The next phase will be quick and could be the following week which could include testing:

1. Listening to instruction, taking notes and using those notes to evaluate information.
    2. Understand and accurately interpreting written material.
    3. Interpreting and utilising verbal and numerical data.
    This is what was used for the PSNI Police Trainee Recruitment Initial Selection Test back in 2007 and it is only a guess that they will use the same process to whittle down desirable candidates into a pool of potential candidates that could go forward to the assessment stage.

This is merely my opinion and advice would be to get some practise on the aptitude tests to score as high as you can to get the best position you can in your test scores. But we will be given full details by the 19th only to those short-listed.

Personally, I am hoping to at least get to the testing stage and would like to be called by 19th August for test. I have experience and education that reflects the AI position and would be extremely disappointed if I did not get a fair chance to go for it.

Will let you know folks either way, and the very best of luck!

Regards

biggrin.gif4N6pacman.gif

Hi 4N6,welcome to the thread:-)
    I am educated to degree level in a social science subject - a large part which was made up of conducting research both qualitative and quantitive. I had to submit several projects which involved conducting interviews and writing up my findings. (These related to criminology and therefore, like you, I believe this credits my application to the next level).
    It will be interesting to see our outcome by the end of the week - are they merely sifting through the applications now in order to establish the ex-police? (Hopefully not!)
    My boyfriend is a police officer - he is of the opinion I won't get to the next stage as he believes (his opinion) there will be a massive application from ex-police who have gone out under patton etc - they will have the experience to make it to desirable criteria and he believes the campaign is aimed towards them. (Many still carry their fire-arm and this will cover them for the safety aspect too).
    Good luck and hopefully by the weekend the synics will be proved wrong!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

If you think of the Investigator role as a ' Para-Police ' position then you will see the ability of an investigator to carry a PPW may prove crucial - due to the current security situation the idea of unarmed people in this job is difficult ( for me at any rate ) to imagine .
    The abolition of the FTR was a political decision that was included in the Patten Report , had the decision been left to the PSNI I believe the FTR would still be here - these investigator roles are , in my opinion , a mechanism to retain them albeit under a different name.
    Having said all that I wish everyone who has applied the best of luck.

Delancey - you have worded better in your second paragraph what i was trying to state as the views of my boyfriend :-)
    I am expecting the 'Dear John'........however i will live in hope until told otherwise!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 4n6

Hello Folks

FYI - Alternative Options Worth Thinking About:

NPIA re: Assistant Crime Analyst & Crime Analyst Role UK

UK Jill Dando Institute Courses

What previous students have done with their degrees and working for MET

Folks this is just food for thought, it is something that requires lots of patience, perseverance and an alternative option for all us would be Assistant Crime Analysts. It is tough waiting for positions to open up but I believe we must be optimistic and there are many positions further afield re: Australia, USA.

Getting away, getting experience and working in an area that you love is important personal satisfaction that transcends across the board........and may give you better options when returning home and applying for these highly sought after careers.

If I get any other information will share this with you and best of luck to all and congrats to those that make the next stage of the PSNI AI testing.

Regards

:eek:4N6:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kitchensink

We can only wait and see if the posts are jobs for the boys or genuinely open to civilians. I am a realist, especially with the current security situation but I find it hard to get my head round that civilians would be carrying weapons or that if I was to get a post that I would be carrying a firearm.

We can only wait and see if the posts are jobs for the boys or genuinely open to civilians. I am a realist, especially with the current security situation but I find it hard to get my head round that civilians would be carrying weapons or that if I was to get a post that I would be carrying a firearm.

No way you would be carrying a firearm.

The Policing Board some time ago shot down the Chief Constables plans for armed civilian roles ( some of you may recall his plan for armed guards at various Police premises to free up officers for other duties ).
    The fact is that armed civilian roles are not possible but a neat way around this prohibition is to employ ex-Police who by virtue of their former as opposed to current positions are permitted to carry a PPW.

Any applicants from a non-Police background will not be armed - which convinces me that most if not all of the positions will go to ex-Police.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Delancey wrote: »
    Any applicants from a non-Police background will not be armed - which convinces me that most if not all of the positions will go to ex-Police.
    The cynical person might say the jobs for the lads job spec was written specifically for ex-police only and worded in such a way that only ex-police are eligible to apply.

Shield wrote: »
    The cynical person might say the jobs for the lads job spec was written specifically for ex-police only and worded in such a way that only ex-police are eligible to apply.

Shield , so sad to see such cynicism in one so young :D

On a serious note - as I mentioned in another thread , if these investigator roles turn out to be a jobs for the lads exercise it follows that very few RC's will be recruited given the low level of RC representation among the Patten leavers and even lower level among the ranks of the FTR.
    Such an outcome would be at odds with the stated ambition of improving RC representation at all levels in the organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

Delancey wrote: »
    If you think of the Investigator role as a ' Para-Police ' position then you will see the ability of an investigator to carry a PPW may prove crucial - due to the current security situation the idea of unarmed people in this job is difficult ( for me at any rate ) to imagine .
    The abolition of the FTR was a political decision that was included in the Patten Report , had the decision been left to the PSNI I believe the FTR would still be here - these investigator roles are , in my opinion , a mechanism to retain them albeit under a different name.
    Having said all that I wish everyone who has applied the best of luck.

The FTR do not have the experience necessary for the role of investigator.They were employed in the organisation in a security role and did not carry out any type of investigation.

The organisation knows this and as a result I do not believe there is any such mechanism in place to try and retain them. Having said that they are many ex CID etc who would be perfect for this role and maybe the role of investigator is aimed at them.

Interesting point you make Dietcoke - I have heard there were FTR who never even took a statement during their time in the Police.
    Looking at the job spec it would probably suit ex-CID very well.
    I'm interested in how those applicants from non-Police backgrounds fare.

I phoned grafton this afternoon. The guy I was speaking with said that no letters have been sent out yet as they were still short listing. He wouldn't answer if we'll hear by Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 EG84

As a non police background applicant I just thought I'd let you know I recieved word yesterday that I passed the shortlisting stage and have a date for the assesment centre which a slightly different format than PSNI recruitment campaign as there is only a verbal reasoning and situational judgement tests. I'll let you know how I get on!!

Well done:-) Good to hear your from a non police background, sounds promising!!
    I too am from a non police background, no word tho, going to stay hopeful now tho!!
    Did they give you much notice for the assessment date?

I got the same letter as EG84.
    I was wandering if EG84 has any backgrounds in investigations?

Oh no im raging now!! Did you take it from the original letter that there were only contacting successful canditates by end of week?
    What is your background kitchensink?

Hey Sivv444, my background is non police and have been working as a civilian investigator for a number of years.
    I'm not sure how grafton are handling the process. I would maybe leave it aday or two as any delays could be due to the numbers that applied.

Yes my experience of Grafton has always been that they are never to the date stated! Although my only experience on my application is in relation to uni work I have no employment experience of investigating.

Moderator Note - Forgive me for mentioning it again but please be sure not to give out details of dates , times , venues , etc in relation to assessments for any PSNI job.
    Good luck to those going forward in the process.

• Advertisement

Thanks Siv4444 I have experience of fraud investigations in my current role but after reading this forum was sure my application wouldn't go any further!! Hopefully you get word in the next day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ElizaB

I do not wish to start DietCoke on one of his anti FTR rants, however I would like to point out that while the role of FTR was primarily security, many went far beyond what was expected or required of them, completing files etc often better than any other officer!

Good luck to those of you who have been shortlisted. From my perspective, it is important that the new roles will employ people with relevant experience who will understand the job. Otherwise, what is the point? People would not expect to be employed as a hospital consultant without proper experience!

Are you implying that the jobs should be given to ex police staff and not to candidates from a non police background? The role is a civilian assistant investigator not a senior investigating officer. A better comparison would be a house officer not consultant... as it is a junior position within the department. All shortlisted canidates will have met the criteria whatever their background. I'm sure the agency will complete a fair recruitment campaign and the best people for the job will prevail.

EG84, I think you are being slightly pedantic regarding the comparison - the point is quite simple, relevant experience is required for most jobs. If you read my post properly, I think you may realise that I did not imply anything in relation to who should be shortlisted, I simply stated that some form of experience, regardless of how or where gained, is important.

I did also wish all those shortlisted good luck in the process, as all those shortlisted clearly meet the criteria.

What I am against is the "jobs for the boys" mentality. As I have said, most jobs require some sort of relevant experience.

Criticism of the job spec is a pointless exercise. Ok, so maybe they have sat down and considered the fact that there is a number of people out there who may have more relevant experience than others, why not use this? Makes sense to me. If they want a certain skill set, that is up to them. It is a bit like someone with a business degree griping because they can't apply for a job as a marine biologist - wouldn't happen, would it?

Siv4444, are you still waiting?

Got my dear john this evening after work! Im raging would have loved the role of the job! Good luck to the rest of you, il be keeping an eye on here to see how the process goes!

Sorry to hear your disappointing news Siv , thanks for sharing your experience here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

ElizaB wrote: »
    I do not wish to start DietCoke on one of his anti FTR rants, however I would like to point out that while the role of FTR was primarily security, many went far beyond what was expected or required of them, completing files etc often better than any other officer!

Good luck to those of you who have been shortlisted. From my perspective, it is important that the new roles will employ people with relevant experience who will understand the job. Otherwise, what is the point? People would not expect to be employed as a hospital consultant without proper experience!

Sorry ElizB but in my EXPERIENCE I cannot think of one FTR who went "Far beyond what was expected or required of them".

A small number(And I mean SMALL) did complete the odd file however this would have consisted of straight foward files such as No Insurance etc. Anything more than that and it would be investigated by a police officer.

Sorry for the "anti FTR rant" but I had to have my say;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Dietcoke1 wrote: »
    Sorry for the "anti FTR rant"
    The forum just wouldn't be the same without it.

• Advertisement

Dietcoke, no need to shout about your experience, you are not the only one with some! In my experience, yes there were some lazy FTR, however there is also a large number of very lazy regulars!

Advertisement