Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Recall (Remake)

14567810»

Comments

Opened my post this morning to find a label-less Blu-Ray disc in an enveloper with no return address or any indication of where it came from. Stuck it in my PC to find that it contained the directors cut of Total Recall. Absolutely no idea where it came from or who may have sent it but it was appreciated. Just after watching the film and really didn't mind it. Sure it's a pretty generic and by the book sci-fi action film which was made to appeal to the widest possible fan base but it all looked very pretty, there were some decent fight scenes and a handful of inventive ideas. I expected a lot more in the way of violence considering all reports indicated that it was cut due to get a PG-13 in the US but from what I saw I imagine that most of the extra footage is character and story based.

Would have been nice to see a more faithful adaptation of the source material but for a cold Friday afternoon it wasn't too bad though that said they could very easily rename the film, jumping off of moving objects in slow motion while wearing tight clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ive seen a lot better films this year, Dredd for example knocked it out of the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I just watched this now. Had to force myself to see it through to the end.

Pointless movie with poor casting and characters you don't care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watching it now (20 30 mins in)

First 10 mins is basically a like-for-like remake of the original. 90% of this is a straight rehash without the original's charm

CGI is very good yes, but there's so much "stuff" on the screen it's actually overkill. It's like the Star Wars movies - how much can we fit in a frame at once? :rolleyes:

I'm not particularly impressed so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well that was rubbish.

For 80% of the movie it's a far inferior rehash of the original, and only in the final half hour does it suddenly become its own film but not before trying to be I, Robot as well. Ironically the last 30 mins are when I started paying attention, but too little too late IMO

Generic throwaway RoboCops are no substitute for real villains/characters - not even "bad-ass" black robots :rolleyes:

The car chase scene has to be one of the most boring action sequences I've seen in a long time - though that may have been because I already didn't care about the characters at that stage

Speaking of characters, Ronny Cox and Michael Ironside are far better in the roles of Cohagen and Richter/Lori

Too much "stuff" on the screen 90% of the time. We get it, you know how to use Photoshop and CGI Movie Suite 2.0 :p Plus the lens flare!! - especially in the opening scene FFS :mad:

In summary then I have watched the original a dozen times and will probably watch it another dozen.. this one will not be seen again and won't be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Nice visuals and good action pieces but ultimately, a hollow, emotionless remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Watched it yesterday. Thought it was alright, but nothing special. And for some reason my bluray wouldn't play the one scene which was the big exposition scene. Managed to catch enough to get the gist of what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Didn't think it was great, wouldnt go far as calling it rubbish.

Was too hard not to keep comparison with the 80's version, and even if this was more " to the source material" unfortunately just wasn't executed all that well.

Definitly deserves a watch though, some great visuals.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I thought the film's universe was brilliantly realised - very fully developed and it looked fantastic. Some great work from the creative types there.

The film itself though was a bit rubbish. As has been said, it was hollow, emotionless and frankly, stupid.

As an aside, every time Kate Beckinsale appeared on screen I blacked out. Came to whenever she left; would find a load of drool running down my chin but wouldn't have missed much plot-wise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thanks to a spate of post Xmas boredom, I figured on checking this out. And thanks to the movie, I now feel even more bored. An utterly bloodless remake, both literally and figuratively; it's a bland, PG13 remake that neither copies the original film, nor has enough to say on its own terms.

It pretty much misses every beat & tick that made the Arnie version memorable at the very least, and comes out as a watery & derivative vehicle, where the only entertainment is in trying to spot what source Wiseman shamelessly rips from.

I will agree with other recent posters that the SFX work is quite impressive, but in many ways the strong FX just serves to highlight how humdrum everything else is. An utter waste of my time, not sure what possessed me to watch this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement