Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lent 2012

• 20-02-2012 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭

Any Interest in a Lenten Challenge 2012?
    It all starts on Wednesday.
    I intend gving up chocolate and sweets and all sugary ****e. Anybody else giving anything up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'm giving up being injured...........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

menoscemo wrote: »
    I intend gving up chocolate and sweets and all sugary ****e.

I'm going to join you on that, have a ferocious sweet-tooth and 40 days of denial might will do me the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Hopefully giving up the soul destroying stationary bike and getting back to pounding the ground outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fishtank5

Any white carbs ... pasta... spuds.. white rice.. chips..bread.. and fizzy drinks

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've never seen the point of giving anything up if you're fit and healthy. If you're putting a lot of work in to staying that way why deprive yourself of the little niceties in life ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've never seen the point of giving anything up if you're fit and healthy. If you're putting a lot of work in to staying that way why deprive yourself of the little niceties in life ?

I'd agree to a point. I think eating some sugary foods post training is grand. I find that if my diet is too clean I become physically weak and cant perform at the same level. But I think fast food has no business being in the diet of a runner who takes their training even slightly serious. Ditto for the booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

For those of us trying to lose weight effin Lent is all year round!!..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

In like Flynn. Ill go with no chocolate/crisps/fizzy drinks etc. I went the whole of last year wihtout any of that crap but ive fallen back into bad habits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cool. Pancakes tomorrow. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

diet coke, chocolate, crisps, sweety treats.
    Intending to swim three mornings a week. Will offer it up for an injury free recovery :D.
    Hope to be within half marathon training distance by Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

I haven't done lent for many a year, but i'l be giving up alcohol, carbohydrates and crappy sugary foods. Now this is not really 'giving up' but i'll be flat out at the gym.. Except for paddies day of course, I'll be drunk that day, but that doesn't count. Oh and I'll be dropping coffee and drinking green tea instead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you're flat out at the gym won't you need your carbs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

I've a fair bit of excess weight to burn off so will work on that for a while before I re-introduce carbs. I'll have plenty of fish, meat, fruit and veg to keep me going tho. I'l be eating every three to four hours hopefully so won't starve. My only problem is my brain doesn't work as efficiently without coffee and carbs, should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Going off junk etc myself, although I've kind of already started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Nothing like finishing a race and tearing through the goodie bag to eat the chocolate bar/bag of crisps. Yer daft giving up sweets for Lent, the drink is far easier to give up.

Nothing tastes like goodie bag treats after a pb:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

chinguetti wrote: »
    Nothing like finishing a race and tearing through the goodie bag to eat the chocolate bar/bag of crisps. Yer daft giving up sweets for Lent, the drink is far easier to give up.

Cant beat it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Going off the gargle for me wouldnt be any kind of stress because I so rarely get to indulge. Giving up 3-4 pints over a 7 week period is much easier than 8 bars of chocolate a week.
    Its not really a religious thing for many people , but if you say you are off something ... people wont force you to g'wan g'wan g'wan as they respect that perhaps you have a religious motivation for doing what you are doing. Iknow complete heathens who use it to shed a few pounds or clean up the lifestyles without people trying to sabotage them all the time .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Last year I managed to stay off sweets and chocolate for the whole of lent. I raced a good few times over lent and all the goodies went into a big bowl, which I promptly devoured on Easter Sunday morning! This year I will aim to do the same, but I might allow myself to break it after Ballycotten - in lieu I will start tomorrow instead of Wednesday. I've just finished that packet of cadbury crunchie biscuits off lest they tempt me tomorrow, so the presses are officially a chocolate-free zone!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

Chocolate for me, I've been giving it up every Lent since I was a kid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Metro St Brigids 5k next month - I'll handle all your goody bags, since you won't be needing them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Metro St Brigids 5k next month - I'll handle all your goody bags, since you won't be needing them :D

That's different. We'll stay off sweets the day before and have the paddys day pass a day late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It's that time of the year again, eh?

I'll give up sweets and chocolate and all the other sugary crap I'm addicted to - only until Connemara though, no longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It's that time of the year again, eh?

I'll give up sweets and chocolate and all the other sugary crap I'm addicted to - only until Connemara though, no longer.

I'm with you on that. All bets are off after conn.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

I'd be wary of giving stuff up as it could undermine my carefully balanced diet of good & junk food, especially given what happened to the guy who started it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

fishtank5 wrote: »
    Any white carbs ... pasta... spuds.. white rice.. chips..bread.. and fizzy drinks

:D

Yep, that's me as well...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭meijin

Not much to give up re. food as I gave up all the junk stuff already... I'm a bit lost about ideas what to give up :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

tunguska wrote: »
    I'd agree to a point. I think eating some sugary foods post training is grand. I find that if my diet is too clean I become physically weak and cant perform at the same level. But I think fast food has no business being in the diet of a runner who takes their training even slightly serious. Ditto for the booze.

Ah here, that's a bit OTT. Maybe at the elite end yes, but for anybody below this, a few pints of the black stuff or a few glasses of vino after a good race or cracking training run won't do anybody any harm at all.

Some of the comments on here are about diet are a bit much at times I think. Consider Ciaran O'Lionaird's thoughts on diet:

I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to it. I eat when I’m hungry and I try to eat well but I also like going into a race feeling good and will eat what I want if there is something I really want to eat. Prior to my 3:34 I stayed in Leuven for a month and not one evening went by where I wasnt at the ice-cream shop getting a waffle cone with Speculoos ice cream. It’s about balance, like everything else in running and in life.

Paula Radcliffe eats chocolate and makes no apologies for it and considers it healthy in small doses as it has magnesium in it. I spotted David Rudisha drinking a can of coke outside of Olympic Park in Melbourne last year after he blitzed the field in 1:43.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Im thinking beer [but allowing myself Wine] - is that cheating :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good to see most other people have the same vices. I'm going to try and give up fizzy drinks, chocolate crisps and all that sort of crap.

Advertisement