Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Rubberbandits get Channel 4 Pilot show

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

humour is my thing though. i love a good comedy but im afraid the irish are unable to produce good stuff. the rte tried it with devastatingly embarrassing results.our stand ups are washed up not recognised on the international stage. i suppose people soon got tired of curse words in a culchie accent passing as comedy

Once again. Dave Allen. Dylan Moran. Dara O'Briain.

You're talking (off-topic) rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

who?
    that screeching whiney hasbeen?
    that overhyped nomark?

please! these guys who hold nothing to your gervais, sessions,merchants etc
    great british talent

seems all you have to do in ireland is put a dunnes bag over your head, talk in a scumbag accent and rap about hash to be funny. (on topic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Did you come here to make friends with an attitude like that? Sounds like a blatant troll account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

who?
    that overhyped nomark?

great british talent

seems all you have to do in ireland is put a dunnes bag over your head, talk in a scumbag accent and rap about hash to be funny. (on topic)

Thankfully for the Bandits your CV didn t make it to the desks in Channel 4. Im sure you d have been promoted to head of comedy and entertainment in no time with that eagle eye for quality comedy that you possess. The Bandits would never have been offered the quarter of a million investment if you d gotten the job.....I know...a disgrace... all because of a Dunnes bag.... the dirty chancers ... The rest of us stuck with ESB bills...and either of us could have thought of it and made a fortune...shur **** it if you private mail me...I could meet you with 2 plastic bags and a video cam and we could make a funny video of us ...put it on you tube...we ll be famous in no time... have you any talent? I can dance like a spider and I know 2 chords on the Ukulele. :D;)

RonMexico wrote: »
    Did you come here to make friends with an attitude like that? Sounds like a blatant troll account.
    pardon me for having a different opinion to you :eek:

• Advertisement

Dannyriver wrote: »
    I could meet you with 2 plastic bags and a video cam and we could make a funny video of us ...put it on you tube...we ll be famous in no time... have you any talent? I can dance like a spider and I know 2 chords on the Ukulele. :D;)

and yet we would be marginally better than the rb's

and yet we would be marginally better than the rb's

Obviously Jesus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

so you're happy at eejits for making money whilst the rest of us worry about paying the gas bill or the new water or household charges. deary me

What do you care about household or water charges when you're fcuking off to Thailand?

You're going to get crucified again when your Mum finds out the Lads are off to Pattaya Jesus, its not known for its libraries and museums is it? ;)

- At least you can walk on water, airfares are a rip off aren't they?

- Bit of bush drinkin' turnin' water inta whine wine.

<Tires of the endless biblical fun puns>

Sorry, on topic, the Rubber Bandits are on the scene a long, long time, fair play and good luck to them........

begrudgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

begrudgers

Now THAT is funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The bible, now that is funny

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

who?
    that overhyped nomark?

great british talent

if Life's Too Short has shown anything is that Gervais peaked with The Office and Extras, his shtick has run its course, writing the same Brent/Millman character but in minature form, Merchant I'll give you, his standup is far funnier than Gervais's smug "I'm better than you" act,and he's Wheatley, which earns him a billion cool points.

It does make me laugh that people still think the rubberbandits are a new fad, I remember listening to their tapes, yes tapes, in school back in the late 90's, yet people still think they've only been around since Horse Outside was released, no thats just when the general public heard of them and the became mass market, they've been working their arses off for years doing what they do.

you might learn a thing or two about comedy at some point, its ok, everyone has to start somewhere ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Even tho I'm not big into them, I've heard only good things about them outside of their persona's. Best of luck to them, they are a good example that anything can happen if you put time and effort in. Plus they are having a laugh while doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

i thought their 15 seconds was well and truly over

I first heard of the rubberbabdits in 2003. Thats a long 15 mins....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

krudler wrote: »
    who?
    that overhyped nomark?

great british talent

if Life's Too Short has shown anything is that Gervais peaked with The Office and Extras, his shtick has run its course, writing the same Brent/Millman character but in minature form, Merchant I'll give you, his standup is far funnier than Gervais's smug "I'm better than you" act,and he's Wheatley, which earns him a billion cool points.

It does make me laugh that people still think the rubberbandits are a new fad, I remember listening to their tapes, yes tapes, in school back in the late 90's, yet people still think they've only been around since Horse Outside was released, no thats just when the general public heard of them and the became mass market, they've been working their arses off for years doing what they do.

you might learn a thing or two about comedy at some point, its ok, everyone has to start somewhere ;)
    Same, remember listening to the sawn off shotgun skit and the melted mars bar skit well before horse outside, definitely not 15 minutes of fame anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

is it just me or does anyone else find them painfully unfunny?
    when it comes to comedy,us micks just cant do it

Yep I agree. Pure dung. Watched a few of their videos online and they are pure nonsense.

That shows a cert to fail

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

Once again. Dave Allen. Dylan Moran. Dara O'Briain.

You're talking (off-topic) rubbish.

You think Dara o brien is funny?

Jesus Christ there's more Craic in an egg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

longevity is the key here.....

obviously humour is subjective,we all have our opinions. the rubberbandits producing the kind of intellect toilet low brow humour they do is like the current state of the music charts when all you need is a keyboard with three keys, dancers with fake jabs and massive holes,autotune and strobe lighting. its a sad reflection on current society when every facet of entertainment is swimming in sh*t. i suppose you cant blame the rb's for taking advantage of said market but as supposed intellects one would have hoped for an attempt at more high brow humour rather than releasing songs in the hope its the talk of the night in places like the steering wheel and the spotted dog.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

seachto7 wrote: »

longevity is the key here.....

Seachto7 got it in one. The point is that there are widely recognised, successful Irish comedians. Longevity at the top is a decent yard-stick for countering stupid arguments, whether or not you happen to find the performers funny yourself.

• Advertisement

obviously humour is subjective,we all have our opinions. the rubberbandits producing the kind of intellect toilet low brow humour they do is like the current state of the music charts when all you need is a keyboard with three keys, dancers with fake jabs and massive holes,autotune and strobe lighting. its a sad reflection on current society when every facet of entertainment is swimming in sh*t. i suppose you cant blame the rb's for taking advantage of said market but as supposed intellects one would have hoped for an attempt at more high brow humour rather than releasing songs in the hope its the talk of the night in places like the steering wheel and the spotted dog.

Intellect? You re the one that s after saying their humour is the talk of the night in the steering wheel and the spotted dog...which bit of Channel 4 deal did you not understand..it s the talk of the executive comedy producers in Channel 4 and the BBC clearly... Like someone else on here said I think at this stage you re just trolling noone could be that stupid...I know you don t get it clearly but reality is reality and the same people who signed your comedy heros have signed the rubberbandits for quite a large sum of money...that s an indisputable fact... If you can t see the talent in the Bandits I suggest go back to stuff you do like...or else you re a troll and I should stop taking the bait...either option is fine by me cos no matter what I have a hawkery, that s where you keep hawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

when it comes to comedy,us micks just cant do it

Are you forgetting Fr. Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Knock knock !

Whose there ?

Comedy.

Comedy who ?

Comedy is subjective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I dont find posh boys acting like "scumbags" funny. If they were real working class lads then it would be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

Ah Ninjak now that is a fairly bizzare comment!! Just because they are not "Working class" they are not funny!!!!
    Explain please?

Using that logic Father Ted isn't funny because Dermot Morgan and Ardal O'Hanlon weren't really priests or David Jason in Fools and Horses is not actually a real Eastender!!!!

The Rubberbandits as explained very eloquently by Blindboyboatclub on their now famous Joe Duffy debate explained that the Rubberbandits are in fact satirizing the negative image the Irish media have of Limerick city!!

Most commentators who are able to understand paroday and satire know very well that this is the case with the Bandits. I myself was first drawn to them when someone at work showed me the Wille O'Dea song on You Tube. Now that is a very clever piece of satire and also a great bit of music.

TONY DAY wrote: »

The Rubberbandits as explained very eloquently by Blindboyboatclub on their now famous Joe Duffy debate explained that the Rubberbandits are in fact satirizing the negative image the Irish media have of Limerick city!!

It's old hat at this stage in my opinion. They'll either last the pace, or go back to being underground hits.....

all subjective though....

It's old hat at this stage in my opinion. They'll either last the pace, or go back to being underground hits.....

all subjective though....

'They ll either last the pace' what are they signed up for a ****en horse race.. Seriously what are? you a bookie.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    'They ll either last the pace' what are they signed up for a ****en horse race.. Seriously what are? you a bookie.

3:56 am , At least lay off the booze before you attempt to be a keyboard warrior :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes. LAST THE PACE. Do you have problems understanding plain English?

3:56 am , At least lay off the booze before you attempt to be a keyboard warrior :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes. LAST THE PACE. Do you have problems understanding plain English?

That s the best yet, now you re telling me to go to bed early. I went out on a Saturday night and didn t get in till half three, I then went on the net before going to sleep, is there something extraordinary about that kind of activity, oh yeah I didn't get up till 12 40 either, I like a lie in after been out the night before, is that ok with you or would you only like me to log on during day light.

Have you any idea how small minded and bitter you come across to other people on here. I also noticed that you were all over a thread when spastic hawk came out saying that the song will be the end of them and that their one dimensional humour has run its course, that the song itself was **** and the public will decide [its now got 400000 you tube hits by the way and was in Hot Press's top 20 international songs released last year.] Another fella on here called MCLove was also talking of their demise I notice his comments are curiously absent from this thread bar the odd snaily boot with his thanks to negative comments.

You also said that their 15 minutes were up. Are you usually this upset when you get it so wrong, is it so hard to accept that even if they were to break up in the morning what they ve achieved already is a considerable legacy that won t be repeated by an Limerick/Irish act for many tears to come.

They are going to be on British TV funded by a british TV company, yes seachto it s happened they weren t one hit wonders/there s more to them than local humour that won t transfer/ you got it wrong/ let it ****in go and take MCLOVE with you...

Just for interests sake why do you think the Bandits have become so popular in the UK and why do you think channel 4 [and more importantly the same team who signed Chris Morris/Sacha Baron Cohen] are giving them between 250 000 and half a million to do some work for them?

Is it luck? Have they some pull maybe one of their sisters is riding a producer in channel 4? Are they perhaps blackmailing some producer in Channel 4? Do the people at channel 4 need to be sacked?

I'm just curious as to your thoughts on why someone is willing to give them lots and lots of money to make music and comedy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

Wish the lads the best of luck with it! I liked their stuff on youtube and appearances on republic of telly and the like. I just hope that when it goes onto channell four it won't end up like the hardy bucks. For me it was the fact that Hardy Bucks was a small production made it brilliant but when it went on RTE it just lacked something. Hopefully the Rubberbandits will be able to scale it up and provide enough comedic content to make it worthwhile! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement