Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

This has gone very quiet. Was suppossed to launch in November. It has either been dropped or delayed further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

There is a White caddy van with a big silver camera though on it parked on the Charlestown bypass most days
    It's not new and is hard to spot

Of course the old road which is an eighty has nothing even tho people blast down it and present far more of an issue

But it will alll be about the money wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I take it all these private speed camera vans will be parked legally?

It would be terrible if someone parked right behind the camera van, thereby blocking any view out the rear window! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

2 white transits on the cork road all day yesterday. :rolleyes:

Road was very quiet when I passed so i crawled by for a good look, 2 men inside each van at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Garda speed camera van was in Cherrywood a few weeks ago other than that iv seen nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Hopefully it will be put on the very long finger.....

I see they're getting rid of them in the UK, will be interesting to see what impact that will have on road deaths.

So far, I haven't heard anything to suggest that road fatalities are increasing, although I have heard a few complaints that people are driving faster, not surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Saw this one outside Portlaoise this morning on Abbeyleix Road. Presume it's private, because it's a 10 KK reg.

gatso1.jpg

gatso2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I take it all these private speed camera vans will be parked legally?

If they are parked illegally, and are private, doesn't this mean that evidence used against you, if it went to court, is inadmissible, as evidence gathered against you was done so in an illegal manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ahem, might as get this line out of the way now as it never ceases the amount of Mother Teresa's on this thread who love to post "if you don't speed you won't have to worry about it" :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/signs-to-warn-motorists-of-new-mobile-speed-cameras-2388839.html?from=dailynews
    wrote:
    LOCAL councils are to put up hundreds of signs across the country to alert drivers where the new network of mobile speed cameras will be located.

But the camera vans will move from location to location every couple of hours, so speeding drivers won't know the exact spot where they are likely to be caught breaking the law.

Thousands of speeding motorists face the prospect of being caught on camera from next month when the new system goes live.

Assistant Garda Commissioner John Twomey said yesterday that up to 1,500 roads across the country were being designated as speed enforcement zones as part of the roll-out of the mobile speed camera network.

Private company the GoSafe consortium will provide 6,000 hours of filming by the cameras every month, and the system will go live in November. But each zone will have a sign erected to warn motorists they face the prospect of being caught.

Hundreds of roads will be clearly identified as a location where the cameras may be located, and the list will also be available on the garda website.

"An analysis of data over five years shows the locations where speeding is a problem," Assistant Commissioner Twomey said.

"The cameras will be there at times and days when the accidents are happening. The sole reason for this is to keep people alive, and the best way to do that is to slow people down.

"They'll be rolled out in the third or fourth week of November. It's important the message goes out that this is in addition to the existing cameras we have. These will be visible. There will be no shock or surprise. You won't just see a flash, they will be clearly marked.

"Road signs will be erected at roadsides to inform drivers they are entering a speed enforcement zone.

Zones

"There's no excuse, you're being told to slow down. We'll tell you the location, but not the time or date (when the cameras will be there)."

GoSafe will be given a list every month of the locations where gardai want the units deployed. They will also be obliged to carry out surveys to find stretches of road where 85pc of vehicles drive above the speed limit. These areas will be added to the list of speed enforcement zones.

The cameras are operational 365 days of the year, and there will be a special focus at night-time and over the weekends when the most fatal and serious incidents occur.

Countries where mobile cameras have been deployed have seen a 50pc increase in compliance rates.

The commissioner insisted that the cameras were not a revenue-raising exercise, and that the GoSafe consortium was being paid by the hour.

"We're talking about saving lives. It's not a revenue gathering exercise. We want people to look at the website. We want to change behaviour and for people to stay alive."

The new cameras will be augmented by more than 100 garda vehicles which are already in place and the new traffic corps vehicles which were put into operation last year.

The sad thing here is its quiet obvious that within a week of 'go live' we know there will be examples of these vans in situ in blatant revenue generating areas, road safety will not be primary. Of course I stand to be corrected but this is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Countries where mobile cameras have been deployed have seen a 50pc increase in compliance rates.

Interesting that this is the only statistic they can come up with. Where are the decreased accident and death rates on areas in which the only change was the mobile speed camera? Things must be pretty bad when the only excuse you can come up with outside of "revenue generation" is "minor speed decrease".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think the real problem here is not the cameras but the sometimes inappropriate limits. Rather than giving out about enforcement, wouldn't it make more sense to focus on getting limits adjusted where a good argument can be made for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

I also note they will be a study conducted to detect areas where 85% of users travel over the speed limit..

If you take this litterally, expect speed cameras to be all over the motorways as nearly everyone travels around 120-140km/hr on these routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

What never ceases to amaze me is the sheer number of people who are STUPID enough to keep giving their money in speeding fines. I drive 30k miles per annum. I used to do a lot more as a field service engineer.

10 or more years back you'd drive like a bat out of hell to try making up time you'd spent on crap roads and stuck in traffic in every crappy little bottleneck on the way. That's all gone now. Taking it handy enough will still have you there in less time that it used to take going like the clappers. Ask anyone driving distances for a living.

So why bother? I'm not on a high horse here. I just don't see why people are stupid enough to keep paying it when the chances of getting caught speeding now are 150 times greater than they were 10 years back. Leaving aside private contractors, GTC will get you even if they won't.

Just don't see the point to be honest. Bitch all you want about the limits and all that, but getting done for speeding is just plain stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The thing is most of the people done by these cameras wont actually be speeding, they'll simply be going faster than some stupid limit but usually travelling in a safe manner for the road.

The rigid setup of a set speed limit for M/N/R roads simply doesn't work and leads to astonishingly stupid limits everywhere both in terms of being too high and too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spud_67

I agree with everything being said here and like RoverCraft said
    '10 or more years back you'd drive like a bat out of hell to try making up time you'd spent on crap roads and stuck in traffic in every crappy little bottleneck on the way. That's all gone now' but the main issue I can see and have seen this week is the new gatso van's being placed just inside a reduced speed limit zone.

Yesterday I seen one of the new gatso's in the drogheda /duleek area and the camera was positioned 60 yards just beyond the 60Km/H catching everyone just slowing down. This surely is an easy target and I wouldn't have labelled this straight section of the road as an 'accident blackspot' at 5 in the evening!

I know that being seen is an effective way of policing and making people recognise their surroundings more but is GoSafe just going to take the easy target every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Best place to whine about "stupid" speed limits is on an anonymous internet forum. If people put the same effort into writing to their local councilor about out of date stupid limit's that they put in on MOTORS, then they might actually do something about them like review them.

I imagine when we changed from mph to km/h the Councils only went out to count the exact number of each sign they needed not whether the limit was ACTUALLY appropriate for the road.

By international standards our motorway limit is up there with the rest. In fact by this website http://www.europe.org/speedlimits.html we do quiet well being smack bang in the middle. I personally think the limit should be 130 km/h. But even at that others on here would prefer the German non-limit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

1500 new locations and/or cameras, according to the Times. And there was me thinking there was a recession on.

Speed doesn't kill, bad driving kills. There's a difference. Try a little driver training, and stop giving licences to morons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Hope they all get burnt out just like the one in Cork a while back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ooooh, do tell! At least we're good for something.

I've often felt like taking an angle grinder to the useless CCTV cameras myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

spud_67 wrote:
    Yesterday I seen one of the new gatso's in the drogheda /duleek area and the camera was positioned 60 yards just beyond the 60Km/H catching everyone just slowing down. This surely is an easy target and I wouldn't have labelled this straight section of the road as an 'accident blackspot' at 5 in the evening!

This is a good example. Even if certain speed limits are increased, I can't imagine that this will stop the cynical use of speed cameras. The 120km/h speed limit on the motorways is fine with me, but that doesn't mean that I would agree with speed cameras catching people doing 130 km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Faye Plump Gnat

Radar detector shoudl sell well so,
    Assuming these van work on Radar?????
    Will they be out at night?
    Will they be clearly visable, not hiding behind bushes?
    Do they take drive pictures to verify who is driving?
    Will they be set with a margin of saftey, ie not zapping people at 61khp in a 60 zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

this part

Private company the GoSafe consortium will provide 6,000 hours of filming by the cameras every month, and the system will go live in November. But each zone will have a sign erected to warn motorists they face the prospect of being caught

Does this mean the static camera will be signposted or will the Mobile units also have to be signposted? If the latter, can't see any problems and anyone that does get done for speeding in an area that has a signposted camera deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Any where, Any time.

That's the advert for the new private speed cameras in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Over the past 2-3 weeks, they've been targeting the Drogheda area.
    I've seen a white transit van parked in two separate locations, well hidden when it's dark. No florescent stripe on the rear of the van.

Does anyone know, do those detection vans only catch speeders coming towards them ? Or do they also catch speeders driving away from them, taking a photo of their rear registration plate ?

I just started to wonder, whether they can catch traffic on both sides of the road in a simple two way road...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Best place to whine about "stupid" speed limits is on an anonymous internet forum. If people put the same effort into writing to their local councilor about out of date stupid limit's that they put in on MOTORS, then they might actually do something about them like review them.

Have you ever tried that?

A local councilor would never be seen to be in favour of an increase in a speed limit no matter how much sense it made.

They'd get flak from all the ould biddies in the area, Gay Byrne would have to get his say in by condemning the councilor and the RSA would create a public outcry......the poor councilor that tried to do a sensible thing would be out of a job.

Just look at Slane as soon as someone mentioned a 30km/h speed limit every politician in the area jumped on the band wagon to get there names mentioned in the papers and it was implemented in record time despite it being one of the most ridiculous speed limits I've ever come across.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Hope they all get burnt out just like the one in Cork a while back.
    Read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Faye Plump Gnat

Anan1 wrote: »
    Read the charter.

Think that one is a rule in the corkonian charter :D

eoin wrote: »
    This is a good example. Even if certain speed limits are increased, I can't imagine that this will stop the cynical use of speed cameras. The 120km/h speed limit on the motorways is fine with me, but that doesn't mean that I would agree with speed cameras catching people doing 130 km/h.
    I'm confused! You want the 120km/h limit to be retained but not enforced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

GoSafe will be given a list every month of the locations where gardai want the units deployed. They will also be obliged to carry out surveys to find stretches of road where 85pc of vehicles drive above the speed limit. These areas will be added to the list of speed enforcement zones.

So hang on .... they check for places where 85% of people speed , then they clamp down in that area

If 85% of people are speeding , shouldn't the speed limit be reviewed as possibly too low ( assuming there isn't a nasty crash there every week ) . Or shouldn't they be looking at other things like , are the drivers AWARE of the speed limit in that area , or is it right after a change in the speed limit

Totally mad

Advertisement