Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit not enough cash charge aib?

• 19-01-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

My rent came out today by direct debit and i had no cash in my account but it was taking out and my account which went into overdraft..i put all the money in today though as i only got paid today..will there be any charge cause of the OD and there wasnt enough cash? cause i have another bill to pay by dd on thursday and i only have enough cash for that bill so dont want to be short if aib are going to charge me a fee cause of the dd today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

25 bucks I do believe! I'm sure its on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

That's gone up quite a bit. It was £5 at one point, back when punts were still in use. Then it went up to €6.50 I believe when the euro came in. Looks like we've picked up a few bad habits from the English banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

25 euros really???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Barrypr wrote: »
    25 bucks I do believe! I'm sure its on the website.
    thegame wrote: »
    25 euros really???

http://www.aib.ie/personal/home/Fees-and-Charges

10eur per D/D returned unpaid.

With respect, it's not the banks responcibility to manage your finances and especially when something as important as rent has to be paid.

/end of thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

stepbar wrote: »
    something as important as rent has to be paid.
    Agreed. Change your direct debit/standing order date so that your pay is confirmed as lodged first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

i have one question...
    i suppose pay my gas bill but i didnt have enough money on my account so i decided that i will pay with my next gas bill (i did know that aib will charge me with returned unpaid DD) anyway...
    what happend is that gas took the money and my account wento into overdraft and now its -...,... euro
    hows that possible that i didnt get returned of unpaid DD just maked my account on minus? for example my boyfriend and friend they never got their accounts overdraft. always the payment is return plus extra charge of unpaid DD.
    im asking about it because i really needed this money for another bill which MUST MUST MUST be paid and now i dont have nothing :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

stepbar wrote: »
    http://www.aib.ie/personal/home/Fees-and-Charges

10eur per D/D returned unpaid.

With respect, it's not the banks responcibility to manage your finances and especially when something as important as rent has to be paid.

/end of thread.

Thats if the D/D is returned. The odd time I have money in the wrong place and I have overshot my overdraft by 100 euro or so. The debit did go through but put me into unauthorised lending. They honoured it but there was a small fine/fee applied to my account. I dont think it was as much as €25

This may be better than having the debit bounce completely. Check it out with your bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Referral Item Charges - "A charge of €5.15 per item is applied, up to a maximum of five items per day"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

No individuals pay their rent by direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I'm not sure of the exact figures for AIB but bank of ireland have the following charges,

12.50 if a company presents a direct debit which is not honoured.

0, 2.50, 5, 5, 10 for the first to 5th and above items that are paid but have no funds to cover them. So if you have a DD on your account and you have no funds the first time it happens in a quarter costs you nothing, after that the cost goes up to a tenner a go at the 5th time and above.

Also, which I only discovered recently is that they will allow your account to go to 500 euro into unauthorised overdraft before they actually stop direct debits and standing orders from being taken out.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

jimoc wrote: »
    I'm not sure of the exact figures for AIB but bank of ireland have the following charges,

12.50 if a company presents a direct debit which is not honoured.

0, 2.50, 5, 5, 10 for the first to 5th and above items that are paid but have no funds to cover them. So if you have a DD on your account and you have no funds the first time it happens in a quarter costs you nothing, after that the cost goes up to a tenner a go at the 5th time and above.

It's actually €12.70 for standing orders and DDs which are not paid.

The sliding scale charges you mention above are applied to Laser Transactions which put you over your limit, it does not apply for direct debits and standing orders. The scale is as follows:

1st Overlimit item - Free
    2nd & 3rd Overlimit item - €2.50
    4th & 5th Overlimit item - €5.00
    6th and subsequent Overlimit items - €10.00

These are for the number of items you have in each fee quarter. In fairness, since the Laser system went live, it's much harder to build up these charges. Before the system went live, I'd often see customers who would go absolutely nuts with the Laser card over the weekends, like they might only have a balance of €500 but they'd spend nearly a grand over the weekend, and then on the monday and tuesday when the transactions started to hit the account, they'd be racking up a load of charges. The best way to avoid them is to keep track of what you spend and what your balance is.
    Also, which I only discovered recently is that they will allow your account to go to 500 euro into unauthorised overdraft before they actually stop direct debits and standing orders from being taken out.
    That's not correct either, it is completely dependent on the account and each is looked at on a case by case basis. Some accounts will not allow DDs and standing orders to be paid if the account is 1c short of the amount needed to honour the DD. It's all dependent on how your account operates, ie if you usually operate your account well and one month you're a bit short, they'll allow your direct debits to go through rather than cause you embarrassment with the suppliers. Other times if a few direct debits come through and there's not enough money to cover them all, they would pick the most important one and allow that go through ie if your mortgage, sky digital and gym subscription all came through on the same day, they'd pay the mortgage and bounce the TV and gym.

If you don't want this to happen and would prefer that if the funds aren't there then bills etc are not paid, give your branch a call and they can put up an indicator on your account. Customers should be aware though that this only applies to Direct Debits and Standing Orders, Laser transactions can still go through (depending on the retailer's systems) and put you over your limit, so it's important to tally up what you're spending against what your balance is.

http://www.bankofireland.ie/includes/personal/pdfs/fees_charges.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    No individuals pay their rent by direct debit.

I think you will find that they do as per OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Must mean standing order. Direct debit are to companies only.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I suppose if you were renting through very large agency they may charge by DD, but personally I've never encountered people paying rent that way.

Advertisement