Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sxs shotgun brands

• 11-07-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

When funds allow I want to pick up a nice secondhand sxs shotgun for general roughshooting and maybe breaking some clays (about once a year ;)).I have shot a few and they feel nice and pointy compared to a few other things i've tried.Researching different models online isn't going too well seen as most of the online gunsites are american so they wouldn't have much knowledge on doubles.

So with that what are common makers of sxs shotguns that make their way into irish gunshops.What are the ones to look out for and the ones to steer clear of?thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Remmy wrote: »
    When funds allow I want to pick up a nice secondhand sxs shotgun for general roughshooting and maybe breaking some clays (about once a year ;)).I have shot a few and they feel nice and pointy compared to a few other things i've tried.Researching different models online isn't going too well seen as most of the online gunsites are american so they wouldn't have much knowledge on doubles.

So with that what are common makers of sxs shotguns that make their way into irish gunshops.What are the ones to look out for and the ones to steer clear of?thanks.

beretta silver hawke a beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I have an AyA no. 4 I picked up for a steal. Nicely built solid little boxlock. Lovely balance, light, fast in the hands. I wouldn't hesitate to ever recommend one. I like the side by side. Might shoot slightly better with an over/under, but on really fast targets, the SxS is faster, definitely, and it's certainly lighter and better balanced to carry than any O/U I handled. They turn up at excellent prices too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

buy once buy right AYA built for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Aya's are good , loads of really nice british made side by sides out there for good money , side by sides are not in fashion especially with younger shooters, webley and scott 700's, bonehills , t.wild's , army and navy's ,are all good boxlocks, if you do buy a british side by side in good condition it won't depreciate in value much and may actually gain value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Remmy wrote: »

Remmy,
    Are you sold on sxs's, if so, why? I view them as the most limited of the shotguns.

To answer your question, under your constraints, check out the Baikal IZH43 sxs. We have generations in the family with Baikal sxs's. For what you ask of it, it does.

Whenever I think of those Cabela's catalog covers of an upland family hunting party with a trusty dog, I have images of a side by side. Aside from that, they aren't what I would recommend for general merriment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

FISMA wrote: »
    Remmy,
    Are you sold on sxs's, if so, why? I view them as the most limited of the shotguns.

To answer your question, under your constraints, check out the Baikal IZH43 sxs. We have generations in the family with Baikal sxs's. For what you ask of it, it does.

Whenever I think of those Cabela's catalog covers of an upland family hunting party with a trusty dog, I have images of a side by side. Aside from that, they aren't what I would recommend for general merriment.

No real reason on sxs's they just feel light and handy to me.I also just like the look of them as in they feel quite traditional.Perhaps I'm drawn towards one because of the 'Cabela's' marketing aswell.:D

Thanks for the adviice on the baikal btw I think I pawed one in a gunshop a while ago and they felt pretty solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

landkeeper wrote: »
    buy once buy right AYA built for life

AYA's seem to be getting good praise both here and in a few issues of the digest. Thanks I'll take that under advisement:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

fisma i don't for aminute see why they are the most limited of shotguns
    most of them have twin triggers with differently choked tubes so you have an instant choice of choke /load
    i can open eject and reload a sxs much quicker than a o/u , they tend to have automatic safety catches which i prefer as a walking shooting gun

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

A SxS is perfect for walking all day for one reason, they are lighter than an UxO and I use an English 16bore for walking around, the UxO for clays, sitting in a hide or foxing.

Depends what your budget is but English SxS's are great value at the moment, you will get a nice boxlock for under a 1,000. AYA are great too, I'd stay away from a Baikal SxS as they're heavy and crude, don't have the elegance you want in a traditional shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I switched over to a SXS a few years ago now and find it ideal for rough shooting, they're light to carry and my one fits me really well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Another one to look out for is the german merkel sxs, they don't have the same lines as the aya or british guns but are really well made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Alchemist2

i second that rowa i have a merkel suhl as they were called back in the day have her near 14yrs and she was like new when i got her shes bout 40yrs old and still as tight the day she was made.. full and extra full choke took me a long time to get used to but a fab gun to use.. i see the new merkels going for serious money now, i paid 475 pounds at the time well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

rowa wrote: »
    Another one to look out for is the german merkel sxs, they don't have the same lines as the aya or british guns but are really well made.

I wholeheartedly second that, I have an ejector one I use a lot and it has seen some clay blasting as well. Not a nick in the barrels after all the use and still shuts thight as can be. I had a non-ejector one as well but that's sitting up for sale in a shop for the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Call Peter McGee in newport,co Mayo(098 41247). A great fella for doubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Had an O/U for a few years but found it heavy to carry all day.

Glad to say i now have;
    Silver Sabel for duck and fox and wet weather
    Webley & Scott for pheasant
    and
    A Wesley Richards for Sundays and Bank Holidays:)

Of the 3 the Webley and Scott is the sweetest,lightest and never gives any trouble.

Brother shoots an AYA No.1 but I cant hit a cows a**e with it.

Advertisement