Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Murilloinf

for the users with a HD7

I can confirm that this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIpJRnqQjew

works fine, even tho the guy is talking about o2 uk still works in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Murilloinf wrote: »
    for the users with a HD7

I can confirm that this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIpJRnqQjew

works fine, even tho the guy is talking about o2 uk still works in ireland

Lol the way he says undo instead of nodo :)

The way it worked for me is I times how long it takes to get an error. And then when your doing it with data on. I disconnected the data a second before it recieved an error in previous test.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Murilloinf

I did it at work erlier, unbranded and with nodo now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

DjFlin wrote: »
    Has anyone with an LG Optimus 7 gotten this method to work?

Me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Just got it to work after about 10 tries, I better have been worth it :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

I better have been worth it :P
    I'm sure you were :p

Just a thing about Mango update.

Not really breaking news but anyway :) I was told by one of Microsoft Reps that Mango update should feature easier jumping to your apps in the right handside list by letters. So i assume that it will be contact letter enter sort of way. But still a welcome add on. Though would rather see some folders :(

Found quite a good comparison between WP7 and iPhone too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4wfucjb2gY&feature=feedrec_grec_index

Just a thing about Mango update.

Not really breaking news but anyway :) I was told by one of Microsoft Reps that Mango update should feature easier jumping to your apps in the right handside list by letters. So i assume that it will be contact letter enter sort of way. But still a welcome add on. Though would rather see some folders :(

Found quite a good comparison between WP7 and iPhone too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4wfucjb2gY&feature=feedrec_grec_index

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKhoL_lTXRM

Heres a video demonstration of the multitasking that mango will provide. I have to admit, it looks great.

I'm sure you were :p

Touché internet. Touché.

Seen the multi tasking.

But hope they add a nicer background and the ability to close an app from that.

One downfall i see there that it could create a long list of apps.

The big downfall that i have seen in iOS. If you never close your apps you could end up with a massive list of running apps in the background, and ending up restarting the device cause its just faster than trying to close them all.

Seen the multi tasking.

But hope they add a nicer background and the ability to close an app from that.

One downfall i see there that it could create a long list of apps.

The big downfall that i have seen in iOS. If you never close your apps you could end up with a massive list of running apps in the background, and ending up restarting the device cause its just faster than trying to close them all.

I know what you mean. I used the Registry hack to get instant resuming on my Optimus 7, and at first it was terrible, because I kept forgetting to close apps, which killed the battery and slowed it down. But now I'm used to hitting the back button to close apps.

• Advertisement

It killed my battery even without apps running in the background. I always use the back button. I was used to that on Android and do the same here. But sure will have to wait till Mango. And it better come this year before I loose all hope in MS.

After Mango I would be quite satisfied the way WP7 works. The next step will be to avail full services from Bing and Zune. I want Zune pass and Bing navigation and voice search :)

After Mango I would be quite satisfied the way WP7 works. The next step will be to avail full services from Bing and Zune. I want Zune pass and Bing navigation and voice search :)

I'm happy enough with it as it is now tbh. Multitasking was never a big deal to me. All I want to see, like you said, is full Bing and Zune features.

I reset my phone earlier, and didn't connect it to my Windows Live ID right away. I synced my music to it first, that the Zune hub was totally different. I could see Bio's of the artists I was playing, and images of them too, it looks much more like the Zune HD interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm happy enough with it as it is now tbh. Multitasking was never a big deal to me. All I want to see, like you said, is full Bing and Zune features.

The inability to run apps like Google Chat (when it can be written), Facebook IM or even simple timers is my biggest gripe about WP7.

My Omnia (on Meteor) told me an update was waiting for me this morning but when I plugged it in, it said it was up to date. The MS website still says Meteor are scheduling the update so I'm not sure what happened there.

This will all come with multi tasking. I know timer is quite bad.

But things like messengers will update with time. I dont imagine MS supporting Google chat anyway since they wouldnt be interested in promoting them. Theres plenty of 3rd Party apps.

Majority of the world uses hotmail and so expect more to see a native messenger app more rather than google chat.

This probably will happen as i think the phones messenger will be tied into the pc messenger to be able to do video chat.

But things like messengers will update with time. I dont imagine MS supporting Google chat anyway since they wouldnt be interested in promoting them. Theres plenty of 3rd Party apps. Majority of the world uses hotmail and so expect more to see a native messenger app more rather than google chat.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there. Microsoft won't need to write the app - anyone (including MS or Google or anyone else) could write it once the restriction to HTTP connections is limited. I don't know how you can say that a Google chat application isn't needed because "most of the world" use Hotmail", it's both irrelevant and possibly not true and in any event, it's not just Google Chat that doesn't work, any application which uses a protocol other than HTTP won't work.

Anyway, if Microsoft start limiting the protocols that are available in an effort to stop people using competitors products, I can see the platform dying a slow death.

Well you dont see Android pushing ya to use MSN messenger?

Like wise microsoft.

As i said it will take time to take in considerations for all these types of apps. It will just take time.

Nothing can just pop out and be perfect. Wasnt the case with iPhone and neither with Android

Well you dont see Android pushing ya to use MSN messenger?

Pushing, no. Supporting yes. For some reason, Microsoft opted not to allow non-HTTP communication or multitasking in third party apps. This isn't a limitation of the platform or something that they need to add - they exist but they won't allow anyone else to use it for some reason.
    As i said it will take time to take in considerations for all these types of apps. It will just take time.

I never criticised it much, I knew it was a limited platform when I bought it and I'm happy to wait (within reason).

And speaking of waiting, I'm just finished receiving the March upgrade on my Omnia. Copy & paste ftw! :D Also, the Market Place application seems an awful lot faster than it was before. Previously I had to wait for 10-30 seconds just to display the apps in each panorama (eg new, free, featured) but now it loads in 1-2 seconds - huge improvement!

and it doesnt crash anymore :D and it doesnt leave ya hanging in empty space :)

the update made me one bit happier :) the more worth waiting for mango :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

markpb wrote: »
    Pushing, no. Supporting yes. For some reason, Microsoft opted not to allow non-HTTP communication or multitasking in third party apps. This isn't a limitation of the platform or something that they need to add - they exist but they won't allow anyone else to use it for some reason.

Security, most likely.
    and it doesnt crash anymore :D and it doesnt leave ya hanging in empty space :)

the update made me one bit happier :) the more worth waiting for mango :)

The update made me very happy too - hopefully we can now move on from this debacle and look forward to Mango! :D

Fable Coing Golf came out today. But didnt seem to be too fascinated by that.

Though next week :)

http://wmpoweruser.com/next-weeks-xbox-live-titlesuper-monkey-ball/

Super Monkey Ball is coming. I remember playing that long time ago and it was great craic :)

Xbox live titles seem to be coming out very frequently :) nice to get a well made game every week :)

Just the prices sometimes are quite high :S Angry Birds should be coming along there sometime soon.

Hope gameloft brings out GT Racing Academy soon :) That was a good game on Android. Something like gran turismo
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Microsoft updated their update schedule and the update should be coming out to people on Meteor with their Omnia 7's. Three should be delivering it too. And O2 still in scheduling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

NoDo is pushed now in a phased basis by all operators in Ireland except O2, which I put up a post about is on there forums

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pretty sickened to find out I can't use a windows 7 phone as a simple mass storage device. I was hoping to use it to transfer large files between work and home. Why would they do this seems like a complete waste of a device.

I found a hack but it looks like it'll only work with one PC.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Pretty sickened to find out I can't use a windows 7 phone as a simple mass storage device. I was hoping to use it to transfer large files between work and home. Why would they do this seems like a complete waste of a device.

I found a hack but it looks like it'll only work with one PC.

Most phones come without it. iPhone doesnt have it. Windows Phone 7 doesnt have it. Android doesnt have a native file explorer either even though u can get one on the marketplace.

This is just to keep simple for people not having to bother where and how to place files and just use Zune library to do it.

Even though i wish i could have one without having to hack it. Used to be handy plugging the phone into the Xbox to listen to music and watch movies rather than getting a USB stick since my hard drive wont work with it :(

I'm pretty shocked by the lack of self-promotion on Microsoft's part. They have an official MSN Messenger app for iOS, but not for their WP7?
    Also, an MSN app recently launched, and all it does is open the msn webpage.

Microsoft are losing a lot of ground, with people dropping Messenger to use Facebook/Skype/Etc. They're not doing themselves any favors by making it hard to use on their own OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My old Smasung Omnia (running the previous mobile windows) would let me use it as a storage device I just took it as a given 7 would have that simple feature. Ruins it as a work phone in my opinion.
    I'm pretty shocked by the lack of self-promotion on Microsoft's part. They have an official MSN Messenger app for iOS, but not for their WP7?
    Also, an MSN app recently launched, and all it does is open the msn webpage.

Microsoft are losing a lot of ground, with people dropping Messenger to use Facebook/Skype/Etc. They're not doing themselves any favors by making it hard to use on their own OS.
    That's happening across their range of products. When I set up my latest PC I went into IE and onto Bing to search for Microsoft security essentials and other Microsoft updates. Their own products where way down the page on their own search engine. The search was so poor and unusual I've avoided Bing ever since.

IDK I found Bing to quite good. Even better than Google most of the time.
    I would be doing alot of research for college assignments and always use Bing and Google to find everything possible. Usually Bing throws up better stuff. Google just spans with useless sites and forums.
    The only thing we need is more support for full services. As said above. Hard to use something that they don't even fully support or don't at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Another easier way to get the NoDo update from the guys at XDA
    Zune sayed, that i was currently using the latest version (7008) of WP7.
    I didn't want to install a VPN client and a dialup.
    So i did it as described following:

1. Start Zune
    2. Turn off Data connection and Wifi on the Phone
    3. Connect the Phone with the PC (USB)
    4. Start the update search in Zune
    5. About 3 seconds later, disconnect your PC from the internet (Turn WLAN off).
    6. Zune finds NoDo-Update. Press OK.
    7. Connect to the internet again and install the update.

Should work for all devices that can be updated by the VPN / dialup solution.

If it fails at point 5, try other timepoints for disconnecting, or try it again disconnected.

Just did it there and worked first time, LG on Vodafone...still branded

Get the mango update early (: http://bit.ly/idC4a4

Ie9 on the phone works great :) and multi tasking is awesome

wp7mango-590x395.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Ie9 on the phone works great :) and multi tasking is awesome

Happy April Fool's day to you too!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach