Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug adapter

• 25-06-2012 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi there,

I am looking for an adapter to convert a Type M (South African thick three prong plug) to a Type G (Irish plug).

It is so that I can use my South African laptop in Ireland.

I have found many that convert Type F (South African thin two prong plug) but none of the larger ones.

Does anyone know who sells them, or even who has a large selection?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

If its a laptop plug then have a look at the charger again. The transformer (brick) on the charger should have a removable power cord. You can replace this with one that has an Irish plug on it, there are a few common types (these aren't proper names just a description) such as a figure 8, a figure 8 with a flat side, a kettle lead or a shamrock shape connector. You'll more than likely have one lying about.

Alternatively just get another charger! Look online on sites like adverts.ie or eBay. You'll get second hand one or a cheap for third party one for 20 euro. You could get cheaper again on eBay if you don't mind buying anything electrical from hong kong or china. Any electronics shop could sell you a universal replacement charger for a bit more either.

If your not sure what to do, post a photo of the charger and tell us your laptop model.

I googled South African type M plug because I was going to give instructions on how to change that plug to an irish plug by just snipping it off when i came across another post by yo about this laptop.

Obviously for a macbook you cant just chop the plug off, but most people dont realise that the plugs that slot into apple chargers are actually figure of 8 shaped. The following cable will fit your charger and give a bit of length.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Figure-Eight-Mains-Power-Cable/dp/B002AWOL92/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340720366&sr=1-2

Thats a white one and its a metre long. Black ones would be cheaper again if you dont mind the colour being different. Like I said though, you may have one lying about or being used in some other appliance.

For a macbook you will need a 3 amp fuse in the plug.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The OP has posted this query in three different fora and hasn't responded in more than a day so I'd forget about it.

He has been advised to buy a power cable with a UK plug and a figure of eight connector to plug into his Apple AC adapter but he seems to think that because it isn't an official Apple accessory that there'd be some kind of risk involved to his precious Mac laptop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

coylemj wrote: »
    The OP has posted this query in three different fora and hasn't responded in more than a day so I'd forget about it.

He has been advised to buy a power cable with a UK plug and a figure of eight connector to plug into his Apple AC adapter but he seems to think that because it isn't an official Apple accessory that there'd be some kind of risk involved to his precious Mac laptop!!

Apple electricity is probably not compatible with normal electricity don`t forget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

South Africa uses the old huge British round pin plugs, right?

You should be able to find an adaptor for those online if you google 15amp round pin adaptor rather than south African adaptor.

They are also known as BS546 plugs, their British Standards number

They're still used for some odd purposes like older theatre lighting.

Or get someone from south Africa to post over a power strip (multi plug extension lead) and fit an Irish plug on it. That will give you several SA sockets.

"Type F" appears to be the continental European standard 16amp earthed plug known normally as "schuko" or officially CEE 7/7 . You'll have absolutely no issue getting an adaptor for those as they're an extremely widely used system.

Advertisement