Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural Anticeptic

• 30-05-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

Looking for some Herbal or Natural antiseptic's that don't sting too much, anybody know whats good and whats not ? or where to get lists

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Stillorganboy

Check out the Moogoo range, it has no petro chemicals !

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Both coconut oil and honey are antibacterial. But if it's for something serious you can't beat good old fashion pharmaceutical preparations.

What do you want it for OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Both coconut oil and honey are antibacterial. But if it's for something serious you can't beat good old fashion pharmaceutical preparations.

What do you want it for OP?

Just general use, don't like preperations that I can't pronounce the ingredients

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭Alun

uch wrote: »
    Just general use, don't like preperations that I can't pronounce the ingredients
    If you knew what the actual active ingredients in the natural antiseptics were called, you probably wouldn't be able to pronounce them either.

Chucken wrote: »
    Got this from that link you gave Chucken.. "Cinnamon bark contains an active fragrant, volatile, antigermicidal oil. Use the bark in mouthwashes, gargles, combinations of herbal teas for taste and antiseptic ability.".. Looks like a tasty solution too.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

... antigermicidal oil...

"Antigermicidal"?

So, what does it do? It stops thing from killing germs, does it?

Seriously, if the hippies/snakeoil salesmen want to use pseudoscientific makey-uppey words to describe their products, they should at least find out what the various constituent parts of the words mean!

Off topic, but another example: "Organic" food and farming.

When those that were anti-drug/anti-pesticide/anti-fertilizer/etc wanted a word to describe their farming methods, someone suggested "Organic". Everybody said "Oh yeah, that's great, sounds really natuaral, like organism", and so the concept* acquired the name "Organic farming".

Small problem; the word 'Organic' already had a meaning. Ask any chemist.
    Since about the early 19th century, chemistry has been broadly subdivided into two fields: Inorganic Chemistry and Organic Chemistry.
    Organic Chemistry is chemistry involving complex compounds of carbon, such as the ones that make up living beings (hence the name). Why is this a problem?
    Because all drugs, pesticides and fertilizers are complex compounds of carbon, and therefore they fall into the definition of Organic Chemistry. So too do petrochemicals, plastics, and almost every pollutant you could name.

So, what happened is that the people who wanted to choose a word to describe their drug-free, pesticide-free, fertilizer-free totally natural farming methods, actually chose a word that means "Drugs, Pesticides, Fertilizers, Oil, Plastic, Pollution, Herbicide, etc."

How's that for irony?

* the concept itself is nothing new, it's been around for millennia!

"Antigermicidal"?

So, what does it do? It stops thing from killing germs, does it?

Seriously, if the hippies/snakeoil salesmen want to use pseudoscientific makey-uppey words to describe their products, they should at least find out what the various constituent parts of the words mean!

Not my words,, as I said, from the link provided by another user,, But thanks for your helpful reply

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Not my words,, as I said, from the link provided by another user,, But thanks for your helpful reply

Oh, sorry! I knew it wasn't your word, but I suppose because I extracted it from your post to quote it, it doesn't look like I knew.

• Advertisement
Advertisement