Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Brown at the Grammys

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

forgiven is probably the wrong word because it's between Rihanna and himself, but obviously loads of people have moved on from what happened, not just her.

also, people were wondering how Rihanna actually felt about him performing at the Grammy's again, and it's now obvious she isn't too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭ceegee

Bit of a twitter war going on between Brown and CM Punk (a wrestler) - good to see at least one celebrity calling out Brown on his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Here's her latest release.

Chris Brown's opening line is:
    "Girl I want to f**k you right now / Been a long time I've been missing your body"

Apparently Rihanna has also added extra lyrics to the remix:
    "If you still want to kiss it, come and get it"

Clearly Rihanna isn't taking her role as the anti-DV patron saint seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Gyalist wrote: »
    Clearly Rihanna isn't taking her role as the anti-DV patron saint seriously.

That sounds suspiciously like petty mocking of domestic violence and those who dare to suggest it should be a big deal...niiiiice....always looks well on a poster when they do that, I feel, especially in this forum.

And as we all know - the power play and psychology behind those that return to relationships where they have experienced domestic violence is really just as simple as one party making a perfectly rational decision that being beaten up is totally forgiveable, if not a normal part, of a healthy relationship...

...now, surely nobody is actually THAT naive? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

I am NOT a proponent of violence in any way, however Chris Brown admitted he did wrong, entered into and complied with all parole/ custodial sentencing that I am aware of, and has the right to get on with his life and career again, and he should be allowed do so without people bringing up his past. Surely that is the point of rehabilitation?

OMG is all I can say about that post. As a mod you should know better!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

bensweeney wrote: »
    I am NOT a proponent of violence in any way, however Chris Brown admitted he did wrong, entered into and complied with all parole/ custodial sentencing that I am aware of, and has the right to get on with his life and career again, and he should be allowed do so without people bringing up his past. Surely that is the point of rehabilitation?

OMG is all I can say about that post. As a mod you should know better!
    Good grief. Out of all the posts on this thread that reiterate exactly the same thing that b&c said, you've chosen to pick hers because she's a mod. singling out a mod in this fashion is utterly pathetic and any further attempts to derail the thread by having a dig at a moderator will result in an infraction and/or a ban.

Maple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bismarck26

Kooli,

You give me the impression that you are a sexest or anti men. We are all equal in todays western world women and men have equal rights and are seen as equal.

Yet when you speck about violence against individuals you say it as violence against women as if to imply that violence against men is a lesser crime than when commited against a women...

Cheryl Cole beat a women in a toilet yet you dont seem to have a problem that nobody cares about that? She is happy and the media is happy for her to have a life after she beat a women and i saw the photos of her attack they were degusting she really beat her up she was black and blue and swollen. The same as rihanna looked..

It seems your argument is more about your chip on your shoulder rather then actual violence against an individual because if it was then you would be fighting for everyones rights not just womens.. Believe it or not men bleed and have feelings just like women do...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Ah media whores, is there nothing they won't do for publicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Bismarck26 wrote: »
    Kooli,

You give me the impression that you are a sexest or anti men. We are all equal in todays western world women and men have equal rights and are seen as equal.

Yet when you speck about violence against individuals you say it as violence against women as if to imply that violence against men is a lesser crime than when commited against a women...

Cheryl Cole beat a women in a toilet yet you dont seem to have a problem that nobody cares about that? She is happy and the media is happy for her to have a life after she beat a women and i saw the photos of her attack they were degusting she really beat her up she was black and blue and swollen. The same as rihanna looked..

It seems your argument is more about your chip on your shoulder rather then actual violence against an individual because if it was then you would be fighting for everyones rights not just womens.. Believe it or not men bleed and have feelings just like women do...

Wow you registered just to say that to me?

I'm sorry if I come off as anti-men or sexist. I assure you I'm not.

You say men and women are equal. I don't believe they are (although I do believe they should be), and I believe that's the reason it would be very hard for us to agree on this matter. I think that sexism and misogyny are still rife at the moment, in some big ways but more so in a million different everyday ways. I do think a lot of women experience oppression and marginalisation every day just as a result of being a woman (and I agree that other women don't). And I believe we live in a culture that glamorises violence, minimises violence against women, and engages in victim-blaming and I am responding to the Chris Brown incident from that perspective.

It's not that I don't have a problem with the Cheryl Cole incident. I'd be interested to read more about it if there were issues of race or oppression and if the attack was as violent as you say. Then yes it would be relevant to this discussion, and I'd be interested to discuss it. But when the relevance is just 'one person beats up another person', you are missing the points I am making about power and privilege and oppression and sexism.

I don't know much about the Cheryl Cole thing, so I don't know what to think about it, and if someone came on to start a thread criticising her, I wouldn't jump in with a strong and vehement opinion without knowing what happened. Yet a lot of people on this thread jumped in to vehemently defend Chris Brown without knowing any of the facts (i.e. how bad the beating was, what his 'apology' consisted of, what his sentence consisted of, how much or little he has demonstrated remorse since the attack, what exactly the Grammies people said about inviting him back), and when they learned the facts they subsequently modified their position to some extent. So what prompted people to automatically defend him and label my response as extreme without being absolutely sure what happened? I'm really curious where that response comes from...

Just like I'm not going to automatically defend or attack Cheryl Cole about a story I don't know much about just because other people want me to hold a strong position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bismarck26

When i speak about men and women being equal in the western world with equal rights i dont just say it because thats what is suggested by others i say it from my 30 years of life experenice.

My sisters, female school mates, female college mates, female university mates, female work colleagues, female friends on local GAA, soccer and rugby teams all had the same opportunities, advantages, and rights as i did growing up some became more successful than me others about the same and others were not so successful. I went for jobs where women were successful and i wasnt.

Compared to 30 years ago i would suggest that maybe its rife that women are treated as equals and repected where (other women are not) I believe that the women and men not treated well are in the minority now thankfully.

It is also Men how are treated with disrespect I am worried by your consistent use of the word Women instead of individuals. Do you still see yourself as being different or the need to put yourself into a group?

What about domestic violence against men? what about societies blindness to women hitting men in public, what about the lack of respect society shows to men example (tv show Take me out)

Its not all about women like i said believe it or not men bleed and have feelings just like women.. therfore the word individual would be better used than women so you can show that you understand that people from all backgrounds, gender, race and religion suffer from power and privilege and oppression and sexism.

I have had numerious discussions about this with my female friends and none have experenced any form of oppression or sexism infact my female friends suggested to me that they had it easier in Uni getting away with more and getting more help from male lecturers because they could charm them... I found this unfair but was told thats the benefits of being a women.

Like i said from the beginging i get my information from a primary source my female friends who live and work in this world.

The people who understand best about what happened between chris and rihanna are people around them both and the music industry. Nobody else.. chris did his punshiment that was handed out when he was convicted and now wants to get on with his life.

He was a young man who made a mistake and should have the chance to rectify that. The fact that he made a comeback is that everyone understands from living life that we make mistakes and luckly can become better people given a second chance.

Im not sure where you come from but where i come from if a man hits a women in public he will be slammed for it because its not acceptable. Unfortunately im oppressed as a man in the western world in this sence because apparently when a women punchs me in the face or kicks me in the leg it doesnt hurt and i dont have feelings so its ok to hit me if your a women.... see where im going with this.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Bismark26 - this is the Ladies Lounge, please don't derail and push threads off-topic by indulging in whataboutery.

This forum exists for female posters to discuss issues from their perspective...if you wish a discussion about other issues from any other perspective, you are welcome to start a thread in the relevant forum.

If you haven't already done so, please acquaint yourself with the forum charter HERE

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭ceegee

Bismarck26 wrote: »

He was a young man who made a mistake and should have the chance to rectify that. The fact that he made a comeback is that everyone understands from living life that we make mistakes and luckly can become better people given a second chance.

Im not sure where you come from but where i come from if a man hits a women in public he will be slammed for it because its not acceptable. Unfortunately im oppressed as a man in the western world in this sence because apparently when a women punchs me in the face or kicks me in the leg it doesnt hurt and i dont have feelings so its ok to hit me if your a women.... see where im going with this.........

Firstly, the way you talk makes it seems like Brown swung out once - it was a prolonged and brutal assault. Have a read through this:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/05/brown.warrant.pdf

and tell me that people would ignore it if a woman had done it.

Secondly, in what way has he rectified his "mistake"?? His behaviour lately has shown that he is still a violent aggressive individual who should not be allowed to act as if he has done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Thanks Bismark but you could not even comprehend how little interest I have in engaging in yet another conversation with a man about how sexism doesn't exist and women have it easier. In the Ladies Lounge. Yet again.
    Has there ever been a thread about sexism on boards that doesn't go down that route at some point? EVER?

So, no, I will not be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2011/10/11/rihanna-new-november-esquire-chris-brown-forgive-interview/

My view on this is if the person involved (I hate the word victim, Rihanna) can forgive him and move on publicly, then clearly it is time to move on from it. I dont see how arguments and debates about whether he should or should not be allowed perform at something as trivial as the Grammy awards matter-it is not bringing attention towards the issue of domestic violence and the reprecussions and effects of it, its derailing something serious and very real to a lot of women (and men) into the celebrity realm where everything has a layer of gloss over it.

If people wanna talk about domestic violence issues, great-knowledge is power-but let Rihanna and Chris Brown get on with their lives, they never signed up to be the poster children for the issue (mainly Rihanna).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Apparently Chris Brown grabbed some girl's phone outside a club in Miami and drove off with it because she took some photos of him. He apparently said something like 'b*tch you not gonna put this up on no website'.

I have to say, whatever about everything that has happened with Rhianna etc which clearly was horrific, I just get a really really bad vibe from this guy. It all seems to add up to a young arrogant douche who doesn't have any respect for anyone else, not just women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I'm really dissapointed that Rihanna has done her new song with him, Birthday cake :(. Really sending out the wrong message Rihanna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Kimia wrote: »
    Apparently Chris Brown grabbed some girl's phone outside a club in Miami and drove off with it because she took some photos of him. He apparently said something like 'b*tch you not gonna put this up on no website'.

I have to say, whatever about everything that has happened with Rhianna etc which clearly was horrific, I just get a really really bad vibe from this guy. It all seems to add up to a young arrogant douche who doesn't have any respect for anyone else, not just women.

He clearly has rage issues.

With regards to Rihanna, she did a song with him recently and there are rumours they've been meeting up secretly and such. If it turns out that they hook up again, that'll be pretty bad form on her part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I thought this opinion piece on The birthday cake was really well written, it kinds of sums up my thoughts too!

This is just going to harm Rihanna's career, IMO. I just couldn't understand her wanting to make that guy more money as well as making some herself from the whole debacle. I've lost a lot of respect for her over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

I think its really unfair of people to expect Rihanna to be a role model for others, yes she is famous and has potential to reach a huge audience but she is also still a young adult who was subjected to extreme violence and who knows what else went on in their relationship
    Non famous people who are subjected to similar things often leave and return to DV relationships and can take a long time coming to terms and understanding the dynamics of what happened to them. I dont know what type of help Rihanna received, I can only hope she got some
    Lets try remember she is not the one who did anything wrong, many victims of crimes dont go on to become spokespeople for the cause, she shouldnt be forced to just because she is famous.
    We have seen the replies and debates on this thread about the situation, I am sure Rihanna has heard plenty too, I am sure if I were in her situation at her age I would be tempted to act like I am ok and cool with it, emotionally it may seem the easier option in the short term, who knows whats really going on inside for her

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Kooli wrote: »
    Yet a lot of people on this thread jumped in to vehemently defend Chris Brown without knowing any of the facts (i.e. how bad the beating was, what his 'apology' consisted of, what his sentence consisted of, how much or little he has demonstrated remorse since the attack, what exactly the Grammies people said about inviting him back), and when they learned the facts they subsequently modified their position to some extent. So what prompted people to automatically defend him and label my response as extreme without being absolutely sure what happened? I'm really curious where that response comes from...

Just on this point, as I feel I may be one of the people in mind when you posted it.

I didn't vehemently defend Chris Brown. I did at the time know the 'facts' so when I posted first I was posting on memory. Having watched some videos I've changed my viewpoint on his apology.

However, based on the attack and sentencing, I still believe he should be allowed perform. If he was to act this way again I wouldn't be supportive of him at all but you cannot stop someone from working because of one incident.

It was a horrific attack, I'm not going to gloss over that, but he's young and deserves the chance to work. I wouldn't stop him from getting a job in an office, or MacDonalds, or a car dealership etc, so don't see why he should get a job singing.

I still think you may be missing the point people have about not supporting his attack, simply supporting his right to move on from it and work uninterrupted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement