Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband careers satellite,aerial course combined.

• 20-02-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi guys

I am interested in doing the 1 week satellite-aerial course which i seen on the broadband careers website,I contacted them to see how much it costs and the total is 770 euro which is not bad,I went to my local fas representitive and they can give me 500 euro towards it,am waiting a reply from social protection (welfare) officer to see if they can help me with the remainder,Reading i saw the theory part of the course takes place in dublin not sure what part and the practical takes place in carlow,It seems a bit of a pain the distance this is slightly a turn off but i suppose would be worth in in the end when you get your certificate,Im just curious to know is there anyone here that has done this course?If so would you mind letting me know how it went and was it worth doing?Id like to get some more knowledge before i go ahead and put my name down to do it.thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

This course?

Can that all be squeezed into 5 days? Must be plenty of homework. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iqon66

This course?

Can that all be squeezed into 5 days? Must be plenty of homework. :rolleyes:
    Yes its a intense course,50% course time practical and the other half theory.so ya it will be all guns blazing.It recently has being combined i think its a better idea studying satellite and aerial systems gives you a good insight into both as saorview and fta are very popular installs at the present time.just would like to hear from someone who has took part and finished the course.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The ISAA also have training course's give them a call as they are recognised by RTE/Saorview http://www.isaa.tv/training.html

scaller wrote: »
    The ISAA also have training course's give them a call as they are recognised by RTE/Saorview http://www.isaa.tv/training.html
    Thanks scaller,id be more tempted to go for the satellite-aerial course as the 2 areas would be coverd rather than the aerial course by the isaa.

iqon66 wrote: »
    Thanks scaller,id be more tempted to go for the satellite-aerial course as the 2 areas would be coverd rather than the aerial course by the isaa.

The ISAA cover both http://www.isaa.tv/ISAAtraining.pdf give them a shout they have a rep here on Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

don't forget the equipment needed to be an installer is expensive with proper ladders, drills, vans etc etc :(:(:(:(:(

wex96 wrote: »
    don't forget the equipment needed to be an installer is expensive with proper ladders, drills, vans etc etc :(:(:(:(:(

and most importantly have Public liability insurance and be registered for Tax.;)

scaller wrote: »

and most importantly have Public liability insurance and be registered for Tax.;)
    Thats true it can be a expensive hobby,lucky enough i have the majority of the tools i need from my electrical days,due to the economic down turn i left the job because of lack of jobs thats why i want to do the sat-aerial installation course.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

And also be a member of one of the recognised body's of installers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Statistics show that unemployed people that do FÁS funded or FÁS courses are less likely to get a job than people never near FÁS. Of course there is more than one explanation for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

watty wrote: »
    Statistics show that unemployed people that do FÁS funded or FÁS courses are less likely to get a job than people never near FÁS. Of course there is more than one explanation for that.
    When I was in FAS, I found that a lot of people there were simply doing the course to ensure they kept getting their benefits and/or they were escaping their spouses nagging :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

We done that course last year.
    Now, get in touch with kevin at the centre and just make sure it's still a viable course as i have been informed by C&G & kevin that it is in the process of being changed ie the modules.
    I think we were nearly the last to get in on the old system we only got results 2 weeks ago from C&G.

Going on the modules from the last one or current one there is a bit in it but not rocket science.

The written is where you need to be sharp, it is multiple choice but the questions will not be only on signal types/modulation/aerial types/ etc, there will be other questions as well on the basic workings of television sets/H&S/ and there will be questions asked in the paper that are not put very well and can be a bit off putting.

However you will be given a study book that covers everything(so they say) about the course have a look through it because you can be asked anything from it.

In saying that it's a piece of piss, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

At least the op is going to do a course unlike the many rogues who set themselves up as installers because they own a ladder or can run a cable.

Fair dues to him.

Ya well its going to be a pretty intense course,be alot to learn in a week,Im up for it because i have a interest in satellite and aerial theory and installations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Moses G. Washington

Premier wrote: »
    In saying that it's a piece of piss, :D

Yeah, suit those can't hack it in a real 'prenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

The OP asked for some advice?
    He was given it, this is supposed to be a friendly forum where posters ask to get answers, and were trying our best for him.

Anyone and evryone has to start somewhere, No isntaller starts out knowing everything, we all have to learn somewhere and be helped by others.

Maybe being a sparky dont suit him, who are we to to criticise anyone on their life and what they work at past or present.

Every new installer makes mistakes? how can they learn otherwise in an unregulated trade?( at least he's trying to go the right way about it).

Some installers on this forum think their the be all and end all of everything. (not them all). and they have all made mistakes when learning too
    Let him without sin cast the first 1

Id say good luck to him and all the best.

Premier wrote: »

The OP asked for some advice?
    He was given it, this is supposed to be a friendly forum where posters ask to get answers, and were trying our best for him.

Anyone and evryone has to start somewhere, No isntaller starts out knowing everything, we all have to learn somewhere and be helped by others.

Maybe being a sparky dont suit him, who are we to to criticise anyone on their life and what they work at past or present.

Every new installer makes mistakes? how can they learn otherwise in an unregulated trade?( at least he's trying to go the right way about it).

Some installers on this forum think their the be all and end all of everything. (not them all). and they have all made mistakes when learning too
    Let him without sin cast the first 1

Id say good luck to him and all the best.
    Thanks premier for your support,as for you moses,i had difficulty in the past with electrical due to some problems,well guess what i have gone back and done my phase 4 and 6.And im gladly qualified now and want to progress and do some other courses,all i asked was to get some feedback about the satellite-aerial course and not getting your smart comment about my past.Thank god there is some decent people on here that can give you a straight honest answer not like other people who like to make fun of peoples potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

well lads, just to let ye know, i done that course a couple of months ago, the instructors were excellent & really knew their stuff, compared to the course i did with chevron training which was a disgrace & double the price. any questions just ask, no problem, by the way the whole course was in carlow for the 5 days for me anyway.

would suit those who can speak english also & spell:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Moses G. Washington

You is one funny fUcker ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭thomasking22008

I been looking for funding grant every place fas or different name are stopping grant funding to people on course for satellite aerial :( and I would want become professional satellite aerial do anyone know how I get grant from ? Some company funding say have to be one year course collage On higher level :mad:

I been looking for funding grant every place fas or different name are stopping grant funding to people on course for satellite aerial :( and I would want become professional satellite aerial do anyone know how I get grant from ? Some company funding say have to be one year course collage On higher level :mad:

i got my funding from fas in limerick no problem for that course

really when u get funding from course ? will that long ?

really when u get funding from course ? will that long ?

i got it a few weeks before the course for 500

I am disappoint about this Galway fas won't allow funding Grant for further notice last month :(

I am disappoint about this Galway fas won't allow funding Grant for further notice last month :(

ring up broadband careers and let them know this, have you got funding before?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

You is one funny fUcker ...

Great input. You the man.

Advertisement