Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary Nursing Opportunities

• 23-09-2010 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the job opportunities are like for Veterinary nurses in Ireland and also the starting salary. Im thinking of doing the course next year. All help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

Does anyone know what the job opportunities are like for Veterinary nurses in Ireland and also the starting salary. Im thinking of doing the course next year. All help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    not sure on the starting salary what course are you thinking of doing .think your leaving cert points have to be pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GALWAYGIRL27

Thinking of going back as a mature student to the course in AIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

If I were you I would seriously think about getting a couple of weeks work experience in a decent vets and then seeing how you feel after it.

The vet. nurses at the practice I use are absolutely amazing and I'm convinced that it's down to their attitiude that dogs do so well there. I've had to carry terrified dogs in there only to see them come bouncing out a couple of days later because of the extra work that they girls put into them. They don't have an easy job and I doubt they get paid anywhere near what I think they are worth.

Try it out for a couple of weeks, talk to the nurses at the practice and then make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Veterinary nursing like human nursing really is a vocation and i admire anyone who does it. Its a great job but really hard work for very little pay. I thought about doing it years ago,but to be honest i wasnt willing to earn so little money (<€23k p.a). Alot of work has been put into veterinary nursing in recent years and its gone from a Diploma to a Degree so hopefully the pay scale will reflect that in the next few years.

Good website is the Irish Veterinary Nurses Association for jobs and info. Some veterinary nurses branch out into different areas like pet food companies reps, veterinary practice managers etc so you're definitely not limited to just nursing if you decide its not for you. I have loads of veterinary nurse friends and practically every single one will tell you its a really rewarding job but you will just never be rich doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

On the plus side Veterinary practices are increasing in number. My Vet has just opened a new practice in Moycullen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Amberjack

I had to defer my place in Vet nursing DKIT this year (personal issues) but spent last year helping out in my local vets and doing work exp with them, I loved it! With all the degree courses you do a fair bit of work exp and from what I've heard, if you're anyway dedicated and reliable, they generally keep you on. Plus people are always coming and going. I miss not being in college this year and working around animals, but hopefully next year. Although hard work, it's a very rewarding job, but if you haven't worked in a veterninary practice before, I'd say get some work experience, it's very different to what I thought it would be like. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GALWAYGIRL27

Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I'll look into getting some work experience.

Advertisement