Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What headphones do you own?

• 10-01-2012 11:15pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I have a real addiction to headphones which I suspect I'm not alone in :pac: My collection consists of a number of headphones for various listening situations - a few different sets of full size for at home and one then that I use in terms of an IEM on the move. So this is what I've gathered over the years and my prefered listening scenarios...

Starting with my pride and joy, the Sennheiser HD650 - I have these about a year and love them... they are mainly for listening to CDs or vinyl at home... Nothing like sitting down at night and chosing an album to sink into with these on.

Next are probably what get most use which are my IEMs, the Sennheiser IE8 - again absolutely love them and never leave home without them. I travel a fair amount so these are essential for flights, trains, buses etc. I had the IE6s prior to these but they have been since passed on to my wife.

Then my DJing headphones and a set I've used also when going on family holidays, the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii... they are a perfect travel companion for longer flights (great noice cancellation) plus good and durable getting thrown in and out of bags, kids using them on portable DVD players etc. They've seen better days though as I've had them years, I need to replace both ear pads - gone through some serious abuse though in terms of parties, falling asleep with them on, standing on them etc etc etc... the sound in one ear can drop off at times so a cable replacement also required!

I made a big mistake about 2 years ago and bought a set of the Bose Around-Ear headphones, a seriously boring set of headphones with really flat sound. I use them mostly now to fall asleep as I don't mind too much if I wake with them crushed under me - in fairness I've fallen asleep many a time and found them under me at some point during the night, they've surived well but still the worst set of headphones I've bought... oh I will say that they are a very comfortable set and especially light on the head. Thankfully I didn't pay full price as I work in the electronics industry and had access at a better price :pac: Actually, I'd like recommendations to replace these - something very light, durable and closed so that they do not disturb my wife!

Finally, my latest addition are the AIAIA TMA-1 - I've only had them a day and already in love... these will take up the role of DJing and probably travel. They've had generally very positive reviews, all of which so far I agree with.

Numerous others that I want but can't have for now anyway... I'd love something from Grado, Audio Technica, Shure to name a few. I reckon Grado are next on the list though when possible.

So what do you stick on your head?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sony MDR-D77 which I have had since new for 26 years and have repaired about 20 times.. lately I have acquired a set of Radius colour in ear buds which are cheap, sound better than the price would suggest, and so far have proven to be well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Audio Technica ATH M50's
    Audio Technica ATH Ad 700's

I just got the M50's recently and I'm enjoying the punchier sound and much greater isolation.

I must give the AD 700's a go when it late at night and quiet and see how they compare then.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sennheiser HD240 Pro, HD25-II, HD598, CX400-II (spot a pattern? :P)
    Etymotic hf3
    Steelseries 7H USB (gaming headset, not used now)

A bunch of other junky earphones and IEMs not worth mentioning (the CX400-II almost fits into this category!).

Curious about: Grado, Shure Studio Monitors and IEMs, Audio Technic and Beyerdynamic at the moment. Not planning any purchase soon though.

Starting with my pride and joy, the Sennheiser HD650 - I have these about a year and love them... they are mainly for listening to CDs or vinyl at home... Nothing like sitting down at night and chosing an album to sink into with these on.

Ever listened to the HD598? I'm curious what the sound difference is like between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Panasonic RP-HX40's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Sennheiser RS120, PX-100 (2 pairs), PX-100IIi, PXC 250, PXC 300, PXC BT310BT, MX 500, CX 300, CX 870
    Koss Porta Pro
    Klipsch Image X1
    :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

cnocbui wrote: »
    Sony MDR-D77 which I have had since new for 26 years and have repaired about 20 times.. lately I have acquired a set of Radius colour in ear buds which are cheap, sound better than the price would suggest, and so far have proven to be well made.

Wow, just looked up those Sony headphones and I recognise the design - I'm not sure if I knew someone with them or if they were still being sold around 1993 or 1994 - I worked in Harry Moore back then and they may have stocked them or a similar design. Certainly seem a highly regarded headphone anyway!

nesf wrote: »
    Ever listened to the HD598? I'm curious what the sound difference is like between them.

No but I had the 595 before the 650, can't remember to be honest how much of a difference I noticed when I changed them - I since sold on the 595s so can't even compare them now. It took a while though on the 650s also for me to really hear what they were all about.

Been watching these for a while on adverts and would love them but really can't splash out at the moment... I've never even listened to a set of Grado but they are high on my list for next purchase.

http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/grado-sr-325is-headphone/563576?utm_source=email&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=Watchlist&notification=5539802b6dcbda2f88ebb5c5b918b8aa-1326326329

It took a while though on the 650s also for me to really hear what they were all about.

Yeah I'm having a similar thing with the 598s. It took me about a week for my ears to get used to them after the HD25-IIs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sennheiser CX-300, CX-300-II, PX-100 PX-100-II, HD-202, HD-215
    Cheapo Sony in-ears
    Some others that I don't care about.

Looking to get a pair of small AKGs this year, or Grados.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lighter

My favourite and most expensive.

sennheiser-pxc350.jpg

My first pair

6664-sennheiser-px200-headphones-1.jpg

and the rest

32897197-2-440-OVR-1.gif

4550904064.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Wow, just looked up those Sony headphones and I recognise the design - I'm not sure if I knew someone with them or if they were still being sold around 1993 or 1994 - I worked in Harry Moore back then and they may have stocked them or a similar design. Certainly seem a highly regarded headphone anyway!

I am amazed anyone would spot what I did there! :D

Well done.

They are still probably one of the best sounding headphones ever made, which is why I have been bothered to fix them 20 times and am still using them. Unfortunately, that is probably not an exaggeration. I have had to source Nitinol wire and form it to replace the trick headbands. I have had to get some glove leather and hand-stitch new earpads as the originals didn't last two years. The rest of the repairs mostly involved broken connections in the wiring.

Frequency range: 5 - 30,000 hz, Impedance: 45 ohms, Efficiency: 106db.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭millymash12

I am currently the proud owner of some soundmagic e10 coppers, p20, e30, mp21 and pl50, phonak Audeo 122 , superlux hd681, and some beyerdynamic dt770

......and a shameful owner of the aerial 7 choppers, wesc oboe, skullcandy aviators and
    And for Xmas I got those marley stir it ups, awful, some of the previous ones have been Some of the worst decisions of my life *never go for headphones just because they're colourful and trendy*

As you can see I'm not a huge fan of headbands, much prefer my iem's with some comply tips and a fiio e6 on the move any day. Use to nearly always buy sennheisers but the last few models were a disappointment for the money I paid.

But I gotta say some of the sennheiser, audio techinca and even Philips looked awesome at ces this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Soundmagic PL-30 and Koss PortaPro. Thinking of getting a pair of Brainwavz HM3, or HM5 if I can convince myself I don't need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kenny

Audio-Technica ATH M50s - Had these for a few months now. Love them. Wish I'd got the coiled cable version tho'.

Sennheiser HD25-SPs - Had these for years. Can't say a bad word about them, amazing sound, light as a feather and a lot sturdier than they look. Big plus is that every single component is replaceable.

Sony MDR-EX38iP - iPhone compatible buds with remote and mic. Okay for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Shure SE535

Fischer Audio Eterna rev 1. - well they just broke actually (bloody over the ear phones always break eventually 'cos you have to pull them out of your ear :( by the cable)

Soundmagic E30 on order from zococity.es

Sennheiser cx-300 and old (but decent and indestructible) Sony iem's as backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Sennheiser HD-25's. Best headphones I've ever owned, mainly used for DJing.

Sennheiser PMX680i Sports. As the name suggests mainly used for exercise.

glasso wrote: »
    Fischer Audio Eterna rev 1. - well they just broke actually (bloody over the ear phones always break eventually 'cos you have to pull them out of your ear :( by the cable)

Soundmagic E30 on order from zococity.es

Sennheiser cx-300 and old (but decent and indestructible) Sony iem's as backup.

Zococity.es sent me incorrect earphones. pl30 instead of e30. not impressed. spanners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Superlux HD668b
    Audiotechnica ATH-AD700

Loving the Sh/te out of the AD700's right now, so I gave the Superlux pair to my brother, he seems to be enjoying them.

glasso wrote: »
    Zococity.es sent me incorrect earphones. pl30 instead of e30. not impressed. spanners.

edit - they were fair tho - I can keep the pl30's and they will send me the e30's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,325 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have a real addiction to headphones which I suspect I'm not alone in :pac: My collection consists of a number of headphones for various listening situations - a few different sets of full size for at home and one then that I use in terms of an IEM on the move. So this is what I've gathered over the years and my prefered listening scenarios...

Next are probably what get most use which are my IEMs, the Sennheiser IE8 - again absolutely love them and never leave home without them. I travel a fair amount so these are essential for flights, trains, buses etc. I had the IE6s prior to these but they have been since passed on to my wife.

Then my DJing headphones and a set I've used also when going on family holidays, the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii... they are a perfect travel companion for longer flights (great noice cancellation) plus good and durable getting thrown in and out of bags, kids using them on portable DVD players etc. They've seen better days though as I've had them years, I need to replace both ear pads - gone through some serious abuse though in terms of parties, falling asleep with them on, standing on them etc etc etc... the sound in one ear can drop off at times so a cable replacement also required!

I made a big mistake about 2 years ago and bought a set of the Bose Around-Ear headphones, a seriously boring set of headphones with really flat sound. I use them mostly now to fall asleep as I don't mind too much if I wake with them crushed under me - in fairness I've fallen asleep many a time and found them under me at some point during the night, they've surived well but still the worst set of headphones I've bought... oh I will say that they are a very comfortable set and especially light on the head. Thankfully I didn't pay full price as I work in the electronics industry and had access at a better price :pac: Actually, I'd like recommendations to replace these - something very light, durable and closed so that they do not disturb my wife!

Finally, my latest addition are the AIAIA TMA-1 - I've only had them a day and already in love... these will take up the role of DJing and probably travel. They've had generally very positive reviews, all of which so far I agree with.

Numerous others that I want but can't have for now anyway... I'd love something from Grado, Audio Technica, Shure to name a few. I reckon Grado are next on the list though when possible.

One thing that struck me is that you did not mention if you have a headphone amplifier. I also have the Sennheiser 650's but I always run them through my Audio-gd C-2C amp. I'm no expert but the people over on Head-Fi would say 650's must have an amp. Great headphones, have them a few years and it shows the value of spending decent money on a proper product. I also recently got the Grados SR80i very impressive as well.

Another thing with these two is that they are both open headphones so you would not want to be using them around other people, not an issue for me at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Beyer Dynamic DT 100 circa 1982 and still working well.
    DT 231 Pros used for the PC
    DT 431
    DT 531

Sennheiser HD 414 with the yellow foam circa 1980
    PX 100

Sony MDR 110 LP in use 70 hours a week.

Hope that was of interest.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

I'll add to this thread as I'm something of an iem addict.

Shure SE535

Shure SE530 custom reshell by Unique Melody - after they suffered the dreaded cable split.

Ulitmate Ears Triple Fi 10 pro (these can be got at silly money these days)

Klipsch Image X10i

Klipsch Image X5

Shure PCX250ii for airplane use

Jabra 2400 headset for the office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Sennheiser HD650
    IE8
    Sennheiser HD25-1 ii
    AIAIA TMA-1

So if you'd just like to post your address, that'd be really helpful.
    ARGINITE wrote: »
    Shure SE535
    I envy you. I've always wanted to try a pair every since I got my first pair of Shures.

Another set I've always wanted to try. I need to get me a job ;__;

I personally own:

Audio Technica ATH-M50s (considering getting rid of)

Alessandros MS-1is (also considering getting rid of)

Sennheiser PX-100i

Shure SE215s

and last but not least Portapros.

I'll add to this thread as I'm something of an iem addict.

Shure SE535

Shure SE530 custom reshell by Unique Melody - after they suffered the dreaded cable split.

Klipsch Image X10i

Klipsch Image X5

Shure PCX250ii for airplane use

Jabra 2400 headset for the office

You're making me want to upgrade my hf3s! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Currently using a pair of Audio Technica A900s for work and a pair of Etymotic HF5s on the go.

Currently looking at a pair of open backs so probably going to end up with the AD900s since I'm really not bothered investing in a headphone amp just yet, thus ruling out the higher end Sennheisers, and Audiocubes prices are so damn nice for the AT range. :)

• Advertisement

Sennheiser PX100-II here, used as my main pair at home.

My cousin makes me jealous showing off his Bowers & Wilkins P5s. The sound is unreal but so is the price tag! :eek:

Advertisement