Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland: South East

• 15-05-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hi All
    I'm thinking of staying in Hidden Valley with family (2 adults and 2 7yo children) for a couple of weeks in the summer. Has anyone any experience of the site.
    Thanks in advance.
    Dibble wrote: »
    Hi,

We stayed there last summer for a couple of nights. I thought the site was great, clean, and the kids loved it. They spent a lot of time with fishing nets in the river that runs through the site.

There was a lot of work going on when we were there. They were planning to open a kids activity playground I think - must be open now. There was also a chipper on-site, and a small lake where you could rent canoes.

We met and chatted with the owner a number of times and he was a nice guy. We found him very helpful and we would go back again. Not sure, but he may also run the River Valley site in Wicklow?

Enjoy!
    chef wrote: »
    Highly recommned the place
    Have had a few one night camps witht he kids, they love the place.
    WildWater wrote: »
    Web site sells it well (although I found some of the photos slow to load).

This would be a key feature for us :D

http://www.irelandholidaypark.com/activities/kids-outdoor-adventure-park/
    Just wondering if they allow people to visit the place with kids just to use the adventure park, and if so what is the cost.... Thanks.
    stapeler wrote: »
    We've stayed there twice over the past two years for Kayaking weekends. Place is very well kept with great facilities and close to the village. Two weeks is a long time, might get bored after a while.
    I believe the park is open to the public but not sure about pricing.

quoted from thread on main forum

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Gypsyrose

May I bother you friendly folk again?!! Planning to maybe stay our 1st night off the Rosslare ferry at St Margaret's beach this time. I know the address to be Rosslare Harbour and that it is, apparently, N25 past Kilrane...other than that, no idea!! :confused:
    What would we enter into the sat nav, please?
    Also, if you have stayed here, where exactly would you suggest best to park? ;)
    Many thanks! Ana x
    ps husband gets worried to death aas those trucks thunder off the ferry determined to mow down anything in their way, lol so great instructions would be great!! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have you seen their website? http://www.campingstmargarets.ie/maps.htm

Park_directions_map.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Gypsyrose

Thanks for map, that is helpful. We are actually planning to wild park near the beach though? Can't afford a site.....:(
    Just need something to put in sat nav? Tried St Margarets beach before and tom tom doesn't like it!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Suziestork

Hi There

1st time caravaners will make our maiden voyage;) on Thursday 30th June. We have decided to take in the "Sunny South East":p and visit Tramore while taking in the Tall Ships etc. Tramore is showing to caravan parks - Newtown Cove and Fitzmaurice's - which in your opinion is the better of the two:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mary21

newtown cove is outside of tramore and would be a 20 minute walk into tramore and a 6-10 minute walk to the cove at newtown cove the other site is in tramore itself. if you want to be in the middle of things stay in tramore but it is costly if you have kids. If you want to see the tall ships sailing out of waterford look at dunmore a fishing village nicer than tranmore but not as much for kids to do but you would be in tramore in 20 minutes and 25min to waterford.tramore is 10k from waterford dunmore is about 16k.
    I am from the waterford area and dont know to much about the campsites themselves other than the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We're only starting on this, so not sure it's completely fair to do a full review with so little experience, but we stayed in Fitzmaurice's a few weeks ago...

Pro's - easy walking distance to the promenade, and surf schools etc, even with our young 'uns. Even up to the far end with the amusements and that it was grand (ours are 2 and 3 and were able for it)

Cons - the site itself and the facilities are pretty basic, and the touring pitches are basically surrounded by statics. It was quiet when we were there, so not sure how it'd hold up to being full. With the facilities in mind, we felt it was expensive given when we were there. Also, it's a lot more exposed than you'd think.

Having said that, it's location means it would probably still be in the running if we were going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Just back from a two night stay at Hidden Valley in tents. Very impressed with the facilities, clean communal bathrooms and showers and friendly staff, the camping field itself was free of any rubbish, security arrived at 11 pm to ask politely for fires to put out and noise kept down, and even though there were no kids with us, the hundreds there seemed well entertained. Overall a positive visit. At €48 euro for two people,1 car and tent for two nights it was good value I think,although I'm not sure what other sites charge. I don't imagine you'd get a decent B+B for €24 a night these days or would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jupiter85

theres a bus stop outside the one near the beach, save you from taxis, finding parking and paying for it!

Thanks for the advice have booked Newtown Cove - will let you know how it goes

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update - couldn't get throught to Fitzmaurice's - have booked newtown cove for 3 nites will let you know how it goes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mebeingme

Hi folks we are looking to camp for a night in either of these areas but cant seem to find any camping parks or that online...anyone know of any in these areas all help would be greatly appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

Have just returned from Newtown Cove, it is a well kept small site, statics around the edges .

Pros:-Very tidy site, grass etc well maintained, lots of children (am aware this may not be a pro for some people), clean recycling/bin area area, nice little campers kitchen and eating area outside under rose covered trellis.

Cons:- Feels crowded, pitches very close together, no open area for children to play football etc, playground very small and needs to be updated, splintery old seesaws etc, located in the middle of a housing estate, overlooked by houses on one side.

My main gripe with this site is the extortionate pricing, we paid €38 per night, which is the most we have ever paid, here or abroad, and while I would have no problem paying this for a fabulous site, they are kidding themselves if they believe that the site warrants this. The toilet blocks were regularly cleaned, but are old and dark and the ladies a bit smelly. One shower in the ladies toilet, €1 for 5.5 mins, horrible shower curtain, no chair or stool to put anything on, hooks on the wall but a shelf under a mirror too narrow to put a normal toilet bag on. A couple more showers to the side, the same no chair, stool etc. The fridges in the campers kitchen were really filthy, although the sinks etc were clean. The staff in the reception only concerned with taking the money, no smiles, head down, no inquiries as to whether we were happy or not, no local information offered.

The site was full, so as long as the people keep coming, the owners can keep on charging........

We won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rockysdad

mebeingme wrote: »
    Hi folks we are looking to camp for a night in either of these areas but cant seem to find any camping parks or that online...anyone know of any in these areas all help would be greatly appreciated :D
    Camping in dunmore east or duncannon..

This is taken from another forum.
    "Quote" & I went to Duncannon to watch the tall ships leave Waterford on Sunday morning.

We sat on the beach from 1pm Saturday till 5pm when we informed we could NOT wild camp there but we were told that Duncannon Holiday Park were now open for Motorhomes & Tents this is a static park (was).

We met Phillip and booked in for the night 15ft from the beach.

This park is set up for static units BUT Phillip and his team are making changes to take in campers & tents.

A lot of work has to be done and we are looking forward to our next visit to see what changes will have been made."Quote".

And from the Owner. "Quote". Hi lads, thanks for visiting last weekend. Hope you understand it was our first weekend open. Thanks for the tips ?, also got a few tips from the forum there which are very helpful. We will try to do as many of them as are feasible such as upgrading the free wifi, bar b q area, tv room, chemical disposal area. We are also going to include shower tokens in price and give on arrival. Works are ongoing and we always appreciate peoples feedback (the good, the bad and the ugly!)
    Hopefully see you again,
    Philip
    Duncannon Holiday Park "Quote".

Link to the website here http://duncannonholidaypark.com/

Face book page here http://www.facebook.com/pages/Duncannon-Holiday-Park/106083442809177

Street View here. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=wallace+mobile+homes+ballystraw,+duncannon,+wexford,+ireland&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.631106,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=wallace+mobile+homes+ballystraw,&hnear=Duncannon,+County+Wexford,+Ireland&cid=14701086053084656396&ll=52.293362,-6.892548&spn=0.146988,0.291824&z=11&iwloc=A

Hope this helps you a bit.:):) Give them a ring for more info, Rates per night Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

2 years ago i brought my kids camping to a lovely place in wexford,it is ran by wexford county council,also there is caravans with electric points..

Facalities include..

Cooking/kitchen Free

Large eating area indoors

Tv room free

Showers 1 Euro

washing machine and dryers 1 euro each

Big kids playground

Swimming pool next door (Fee in) but cheap

Allways personal there 24/7

and if you fancy a pint there is a lovely hotel bout 1 minute walk away

Large tent(family) or caravan per night 20 euro great value
    How to get there,coming from dublin before you go over the wexford bridge,take left at hotel and up the hill and there ya go..

A lovely little spot for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

I think by the description given here,,it sounds like Ferrybanks,,,,i lovely site indeed,,,as far as i know you cant book in though,,,first come first served i beleive,,

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rockysdad

The Wexford swimming pool has recently re-opened following massive refurbishment.

Here is some more info.:):)

http://www.wexfordswimmingpool.ie/caravan-park/

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/wexford/33-ferrybank-caravan-a-camping.html

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

yep thats the one guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Prices on the two links above for this site are different

Wexford Swimmimg Pool site, Unit + 2A + 2K = €24 - €27, Showers, €2
    Camping Ireland site, Unit + 2A + 2K = €14.50 - €21, Showers €1

Still good values but a big difference

Hi There

I have heard there is a mobile home site at the back of the Haven hotel in Dunmore East, its owned by the Strand Hotel... Any comments, good bad or indifferent much appreciated please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Very few Caravan spots in Dunmore East and all spoken for I'd say. Strand Inn does not own such a site to my knowledge.
    This one is kinda behind the Haven Hotel alright but it is a short distance (walkable) to the Lower Village http://www.yourlocal.ie/d/camping-sites-co-waterford/dunmore_east_caravan_park_051_383816

Advertisement