Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restaurant Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I was in Pichet last night. Fabulous starter and main course. Steak tartare was absolutely delicious as were the scallops. I felt the dessert wasn't as good as it was previously when I was there before. Cookies and cream with honeycomb semifreddo, chocolate mousse and honeycomb. The cream in the centre of the two cookies just didn't work for me. It needed a heavier consistency.

Been eating alot of rich food over the last two months so going to try go cold turkey for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Was in Pichets a few months back. Couldnt fault the food but the service was poor but saved by the good humour of the staff involved which for me was a positive. Its a good spot but dont go expecting silver service. Its a Bistro concept so somewhat to be expected.

Would definitely recommend them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

this isn't city centre so I hope this is ok

Had a super 3 course meal in The Box Tree,Stepaside last night.
    Early bird on a Saturday from 5-7.It was €25 for 2 course or €29 for 3.
    I had smokies,followed by a lovely cod dish and probably the best berry crumble ever with a lovely crème anglaise and home made vanilla ice cream.

My wife had similar exept she had a lovely duck starter(that was a tad small tbh)
    I would recommend it very much,the early bird I think is available all night mon-fri
    All the food was very tasty and I will be back SOON

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

I went into Abrekadabra Drumcondra yesterday where I was greeted by an ignorant woman who seemed offended that I chose to get food from there. Ordered a burger which came with frozen bacon, chips were drowning in garlic sauce and were accompanied by a teaspoon of grated cheese. It took a lot of convincing to have the chips re-heated as well. Can of coke was just short €2 and the unsatisfying meal came to €13 in total. No rush back there especially with Burger King providing a triple whopper meal for €8.90.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Which place in North County Dublin or the nearer areas of Louth/Meath would people recommend? Have guests over on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

kowloon wrote: »
    Which place in North County Dublin or the nearer areas of Louth/Meath would people recommend? Have guests over on Friday.

The Snailbox. Great bit of grub whenever i've been.

http://www.snailbox.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There are some good suggestions in this thread in the Dublin County North forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055224918

I'm sure the Louth and Meath forums will have similar threads too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

The eastern seaboard in Drogheda is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Eastern Seaboard is my top choice always.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

Has anyone here ever enjoyed any restaurant in the mitchelstown area if not the hunters rest is a really great restaurant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

a group of us, 6 in total, had the family style dinner at 777 in dublin on saturday. despite the 38e a head cost, it was good value, they brought out a HEAP of food and it was amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Luke Repulsive Newsprint

First time in here. Was at the rustic stone at the weekend for the missus' birthday. Lovely food and nice atmosphere. We shared wings to start, my god they were amazing. I then had the steak (as you do) which was fantastic with a side of pesto fries. Going to try to make them at home. She had a gourmet burger with polenta fries which she says was lovely. Desert, chocolate and pistachio cake with grapefruit and orange sorbet thing. Again very nice, hers was some Catalan custard dish which I wish I had gotten, it was the nicest dessert I've had in a while. 100 dollery-doos all in including tip. No wine as I was driving and she doesn't drink. Relatively pricey but extremely nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Went to Duck BBQ this evening. It's on Fade St, around from the Asia Market (which I think is connected to it).

I liked the food, but my friend thought the duck was a bit greasy. It's definitely high-on-fat duck, not the really dry Peking-style. I thought the portions were very generous and overall I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

Have eaten in Bear on South William street twice in the last month. Absolutely delicious! The steaks to share are amazing and definitely get their million dollar fries

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

"Steaks to share"??? That is just so wrong. If someone wants a steak - they get their own, but nobody, & I mean nobody would be allowed touch mine. What if one diner likes rare & the other likes medium rare? Just a gimmick methinks. I cannot see any good reason for this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

aidan24326 wrote: »
    In contrast, I recently went to Chameleon (Temple Bar) with a voucher for their rijjst-tafel and it was excellent. Big portions (almost too big!), delicious food, great service, everything cooked and seasoned to perfection.

You basically get a large selection of small (but no that small!) dishes accompanied by rice, noodles, veg, dips etc One thing more delicious than the next. It's styled as an Indonesian restaurant so the food is along the lines of Thai food with some chinese influences also. So if you like Asian food it's a must. Fabulous food at reasonable prices. Would highly recommend.

Im off there tomorrow cant wait:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

"Steaks to share"??? That is just so wrong. If someone wants a steak - they get their own, but nobody, & I mean nobody would be allowed touch mine. What if one diner likes rare & the other likes medium rare? Just a gimmick methinks. I cannot see any good reason for this at all.

If you're unfamiliar with the concept, why don't you try it first before making up your mind. It's quite prevalent outside Ireland

Wow! I should have put a smiley in my light-hearted post.

Still, nobody touches The Hill Billy's steak. End. Of. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hootanany wrote: »
    Im off there tomorrow cant wait:D

Its on my to do list - let me know how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Slattsy wrote: »
    Its on my to do list - let me know how it goes!

Will do:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

GAWD, tHB, didn't you know you have to be an expert on a topic before you can post about it or offer your opinion on what something sounds like?!

;)

Shared steak is common here in Der Schwiiz. I avoid it. My steak is MINE! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

It could work out well for you! My husband is delighted as I only eat a little steak which means he has tons! I also like medium well and he likes medium so I take the outsides and he gets all the medium on the inside!

Actually, Mrs Billy isn't mad on steak at all, so I'd be looking at having to get through 1.2-1.6kg of steak on my own. Nay bother! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't think I'd share my steak - it'd be like sharing a packet of crisps and that's a definite no-no :eek:

Faith wrote: »
    GAWD, tHB, didn't you know you have to be an expert on a topic before you can post about it or offer your opinion on what something sounds like?!

;)

Well at least have experienced it before making an opinion known on it

Shared steak is common here in Der Schwiiz. I avoid it. My steak is MINE! :p
    duploelabs wrote: »
    Well at least have experienced it before making an opinion known on it

I was suckered into it once. Granted, it is not a gimmick. But, you live & learn. :)

I was suckered into it once. Granted, it is not a gimmick. But, you live & learn. :)

bet ya sit there on your holidays abroad eating your sausage, egg, and chips
    :)

• Advertisement

Meow!

I work & live abroad, & I vacation at home. So, my holiday food generally is 'Irish'.

And in all honesty, the best holiday dinner I had this year was hake & chips from the Reel Fish Co, eaten out of the bag on Dingle pier.

The Chart House came a close second.

Back to recommending restaurants now...

Advertisement