Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on 2.2dti omega.

• 21-02-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all,

Headgasket went in my old 1.4 and as such i wont be fixing it as i feel it is not worth it. I want a change and was thinking of an omega, either a 2.2 dti or the 2 dti.
    Have looked at a few examples and an 02-03 is about 2000euro. Just wondering does this seem like a good price or if people have a better suggestion for that price. I do about 30miles commute a day so i think the diesel would be better than petrol ( also cheaper for me to insure).
    I read the 2.2 could be remapped from 120bhp to 145bh so does this seem right or are the figures off.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

30 miles a day works out at less than 11000 miles a year assuming it is 7 days a week, I don't think you need a diesel considering you are going to be looking at a 10 year old car which will probably have mega mileage on it at this stage. At annual mileage fuel consumption should not be the main deciding factor in your choice of car.

This one looks mint with tiny mileage but think it is way too expensive for a 10 year old 2.0+ petrol car.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2606799

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Had the 2.2 Dti in a vectra. Its a old school noisy smokey diesel. Power was adequate at 125bhp. I had 2 issues with it that are the most common ones. Split fuel return hoses....symptoms are difficulty starting and excessive smoke on start up and an over boosting turbo causing the engine to go into limp mode as you are accelerating. The 2 issues are cheap and easy to fix

The Omega is a nice comfortable car and I've always had a soft spot for them. Becoming a very rare sight on Irish roads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I have owned a few 2.2dti Omegas. They are reliable enough but injector pump failure can be issue with the engine if it has high mileage. Very expensive to fix. It never happened on my cars though and they had about 120K in them when I sold them on.

Power is adequate but I remapped up to 145 for a better driving experience. It's a large comfortable car which I love but because its heavy give the suspension a good check out as the wishbones can wear quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

@ Bazz26 - that's some find for an Omega - less than 30k on the clock. A touch over priced though, but then again, the low miles will command the price.

OP ~ 30 miles a day does not warrant a Diesel. You will be looking at large repair bills with higher mpg in a diesel which is a false economy.
    A petrol 2.0ltr or thereabouts will get you 30 to 35 mpg (Driving within reason). The cost of purchase will be a good bit less compared to a diesel.
    Over a 3 year period you will be better off in a petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bazz26 wrote: »
    30 miles a day works out at less than 11000 miles a year assuming it is 7 days a week, I don't think you need a diesel considering you are going to be looking at a 10 year old car which will probably have mega mileage on it at this stage. At annual mileage fuel consumption should not be the main deciding factor in your choice of car.

This one looks mint with tiny mileage but think it is way too expensive for a 10 year old 2.0+ petrol car.

I can never understand replies like this
    The OP is spending 2k..Not 20k
    He can insure the Omega cheaper
    and obviously it will be more fuel efficient..

Why bother with a petrol guzzler?

2.2 Petrol..AUTO.. :eek:

Give me the turf burner any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

vectra wrote: »
    I can never understand replies like this
    The OP is spending 2k..Not 20k
    He can insure the Omega cheaper
    and obviously it will be more fuel efficient..

Why bother with a petrol guzzler?

2.2 Petrol..AUTO.. :eek:

Give me the turf burner any day

Then have a look at diesel Omegas of that vintage. They are well worn with intergalactic mileage or knackered. Petrol guzzler is relevent to the use it gets.

I know it is the current trend for everyone to buy diesel but the follow the herd mentality gets silly when the likes of the OP's annual mileage is low enough that mpg costs are not the main factor in the overall running costs of a car. Imo on his budget he will buy alot better petrol example than diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭padunne

thanks for the replies so far. gives me something to think about. i was considering getting a petrol as my mileage doesn't really justify the diesel but i live in country so some towing and such would be done if i was to buy a diesel model.

would love an euro-r accord but realise i would have to extend my budget quiet a bit.

omega seem cheaper for a decent sized car and for some reason iv taken a shine to them.

also found this sir-t and was wondering on what people thought. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2998248

would ye recommned a 1.6 petrol vectra as my friend has one for sale. it is an 2003 model and in good condition reasonable mileage (think around 80000mls). believe they are 100bhp which i wud be happy with so what do you reckon is a good price for the vectra

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

bazz26 wrote: »

I bought my relatively low mileage (59k miles) '02 Omega 2.2 petrol for under €1200. Full Opel service history and a higher spec (full leather and heated seats). I went from a BMW 320d as I'm not doing the mileage to warrant a diesel (doing a very similar mileage to the OP).
    If I was intent on picking up a diesel version I'd go for the BMW engined 2.5lt Omega as it's fupp all extra to tax and insure.

Advertisement