Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A very unusual psyche test

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I get the idea, we do associate shapes and colour with emotions, a lot of the questions were really asking things like "do you prefer to work alone, or in a group" in a different manner, replacing the margin of error presented by how we like to perceive ourselves with the margin of error in how we interpret the images, and from what I gather that margin of error is actually quite small.

People were asking for the science behind this, here is an article on it, it references a recent study for those of you who have access to that kind of thing, I unfortunately can only get the abstract. Oh, and a certain QI episode might ring a few bells...

Of course this doesn't make the results of this test any more valid or accurate than all the others, it's just a curious way of going about asking the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Often concerned with right and wrong, and punctilious in expressing it, you are best represented by the Customs Agent or the IRS inspector. Initially seen by others as cold or uncaring, you are difficult for those more spontaneous members of society to understand. You are extremely stable, responsible and dependable. You manifest an amazing ability to concentrate on the issue at hand, and are difficult to distract from issues that are important. You manifest a great sense of loyalty to your employers and your government. You tend to show love through a display of committed works, believing that actions speak louder than words. You are also resistant to change and tend to believe that the old ways are best. If a behavior has been successful in the past, why would anyone want to change? You work best in a controlled environment.

In bold, applies to me. Funny that I am 'initially seen as cold and uncaring'...I take that to refer to my profession; I am a social worker, so people always have their backs up and it makes it hard for me to develop the relationship and prove to them I am nor.

Enjoyed this but I am shi*e at sticking to one task..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Seems quite vague. Have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I did this test once, not quite understanding the questions or the images. Towards the end of my first go I reaslied I could associate the patterns with things and that I had to re-do it properly. This is my result, and it's spot on :o

Fond of tradition, but attached more to the joy of human interaction, you are often a beacon of hope to those members of society who have lost faith or who are in need of succor. You are often emotional, and this emotionality is rarely held in check. Kind and helping by nature, when affronted you will explode, and just as suddenly when the pain has passed return to normalcy again. On occasion this quick and vibrant emotionality is translated into a life on the stage or screen. You have a strong sense of right and wrong, but can sometimes be left confused and uncertain in times of stress or when tough decisions must be made. You avoid conflict, tending to stay out of trouble in hopes that the group will benefit most from this behavior. Because you have trouble putting your own needs first, you will be put in much stress if you find yourself in an unequal relationship, one in which your partner is not as giving as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 emma11811

Always happy in a crowd, you love to converse, to relate, and above all to have fun. You tend to think in a more holistic manner than many others. Like a crow you are attracted to shiny objects, new ideas, playful exciting colors and the thrill of a new personal relationship. You love to talk or gossip. You are highly invested in the reality of day-to-day life. Practicality is far more important than issues of honor or allegiance. You are a creature of the here and now. You are a natural multi-tasker, often switching mid-thought from one duty to another. You have a flair for presenting your personality in your work, and are known as a great storyteller and natural actor. You are very skilled at taking in a barrage of information and distilling what is most important from it. Naturally charming, you are quick to win new friends. Over stimulation is a danger.

All sounds about right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

Quiet and very self-assured, you tend to keep your own council. Pragmatic and practical to a fault, you are not one to worry about the finer points of philosophical discourse. In fact, because you are very much an individualist, you often finds yourself at odds with the established truth or the wishes of the majority. You will often earn the wrath of an employer by taking upon yourself decisions which are rightly those of your manager. You are not one to take credit unless it is deserved. Similarly however, you will also not happily give credit where it is not due. In a romantic relationship you can be very frustrating. While you do care deeply and sincerely, and are willing to work at a relationship, your confidence in your own abilities can on occasion make it difficult to see the world from a partner’s point of view. Quiet and stoic at times, you can drive a more emotional individual completely up the wall. You can become overstressed and fatigued without knowing it. Taking time to rest between bouts of hard work can help to prevent a breakdown later on.

Bang on!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thoughtful to the extreme, you are often obsessed with perfection and the rules governing your own personal interests. Your world is black and white. You love to work within a logical system, such as language, computer programming, or mathematics. Manipulating a system that can be completely understood is a distinct pleasure to you, because of your confidence in the underlying veracity of your belief system. Because of your appreciation for logic and order, those who speak or think in a sloppy manner are apt to generate more than their share of wrath. Although very amiable, you are not drawn to friendships out of a sense of personal need. You are just as happy by yourself with a good book or puzzle. Because you are so involved with thought, you will on occasion have difficulty dealing with the day-to-day problems of a normal life. Taking out the trash, doing the dishes, these are often left until the last possible moment, if at all.

Scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

The descriptions themselves all contain elements of Yungian preference theory:

Introversion (by self)Vs Extraversion (around others)
    Sensing (into detail) Vs Intuition (Into the big picture)
    Thinking (detached/logical) Vs Feeling (Empathetic, subjective)
    Judgement (Ordered and structured) Vs Perception (open to last minute changes, flexible)

Whether it's actually designed to respond with a report based on answers provided, or that it simply spews out random descriptions to different posters is unclear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

which of these is pretending? where is the sin? wtf?
    i'm just putting down random stuff at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

bluewolf wrote: »

I think it's pretty much a fake test to be honest- if you look through the various reports in this thread, there's a least some sentences you will agree with.....as another poster said, it's the Forer effect...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

bluewolf wrote: »

I had troubles with the same first, until it struck me I should try to picture an event in my head... Make an association so to speak :)
    Sounds weird I guess, but for most questions it worked fine. Like "which one is pretending to be you?" - I looked at the two circles and thought which would be me. Am I centered or a little bit to the side? And then I chose the other one as the one pretending to be me.

It is unusual alright, but that is how I managed to complete the test... Try to make associations with every picture and do it again. It seems a lot of people got accurate results, but it was very difficult to understand how to do it at first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

My diagnosis:

Thoughtful to the extreme, you are often obsessed with perfection and the rules governing your own personal interests. Your world is black and white. You love to work within a logical system, such as language, computer programming, or mathematics. Manipulating a system that can be completely understood is a distinct pleasure to you, because of your confidence in the underlying veracity of your belief system. Because of your appreciation for logic and order, those who speak or think in a sloppy manner are apt to generate more than their share of wrath. Although very amiable, you are not drawn to friendships out of a sense of personal need. You are just as happy by yourself with a good book or puzzle. Because you are so involved with thought, you will on occasion have difficulty dealing with the day-to-day problems of a normal life. Taking out the trash, doing the dishes, these are often left until the last possible moment, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Did the test and thinks it is rather like horoscopes etc...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 waynerooney

I'm feeling lazy so not even going to do the test. But my tuppence worth is that i got very intrigued by 'barnum statements' a few years ago. sounds like the psyche test above is a barnum statement generator. If you're really into this, check out the barnum statement info on wikipedia... it's basically related to a bunch of statements one can make about a person that almost everybody can identify to. Have I bored you? I'm beginning to bore myself. But.. I do plan on checking out 'Every Day The Same Dream' as it has tweaked my curiosity on this subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm feeling lazy so not even going to do the test. But my tuppence worth is that i got very intrigued by 'barnum statements' a few years ago. sounds like the psyche test above is a barnum statement generator. If you're really into this, check out the barnum statement info on wikipedia... it's basically related to a bunch of statements one can make about a person that almost everybody can identify to. Have I bored you? I'm beginning to bore myself. But.. I do plan on checking out 'Every Day The Same Dream' as it has tweaked my curiosity on this subject!
    Every Day The Same Dream has, admittedly, little to do with the thread, but I thought it might be of interest nonetheless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

My diagnosis: Thoughtful to the extreme, you are often obsessed with perfection and the rules governing your own personal interests. Your world is black and white. You love to work within a logical system, such as language, computer programming, or mathematics. Manipulating a system that can be completely understood is a distinct pleasure to you, because of your confidence in the underlying veracity of your belief system. Because of your appreciation for logic and order, those who speak or think in a sloppy manner are apt to generate more than their share of wrath. Although very amiable, you are not drawn to friendships out of a sense of personal need. You are just as happy by yourself with a good book or puzzle. Because you are so involved with thought, you will on occasion have difficulty dealing with the day-to-day problems of a normal life. Taking out the trash, doing the dishes, these are often left until the last possible moment, if at all.

I think it's mostly true... except for the last line. I seem to be constantly washing dishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is my result and apart from the last sentence which is true, the rest is totally untrue.

I just realised i did this last year and it was at least right in a couple of places, and equally wrong in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

Its interesting what they can pick up from seemingly random things.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

saa wrote: »
    Try the http://www.colorquiz.com/
    Far better than this for what its trying to be, the vague neuroses are much more entertaining

I found this more revealing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement