Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DinoRex wrote: »
    If Super Mario Bros. came out today:

http://imgur.com/a/VRg4v

And you'd only get the first 10 levels, everything else would be dlc!

• CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I bought my first PC back in 95...

Apart from a Commodore Vic 20 and a copy of Blitz in the mid 80's, i didn't get into computers till late in the whole PC boom. I was determined to figure it all out, so i bought a 128mb Celeron system with the ill fated (and awful) windows ME on it from PC world in 2001. Cost me about £1000 in old money at the time (eek).

Anyways, it very quickly became apparent that WinME was a slow, buggy pile of crap and the box i bought wasn't able to do what i was told it would, so i rang them up and demanded a replacement for days on end. I got the name of a manager and called her ten times a day every day giving out about how i'd been shafted by the sales guy until she was so sick of me that she swopped the original machine for a 512mb HP box with a 1.3 Pentium and 20gb HDD, and one of the first retail copies of Xp Home on it, just to get rid of me.

That got a lot of upgrades over time, and was my faithful servant for many years. It eventually ended up being the brain in my first mame cab when i retired it. As far as i know it's still out in the wild somewhwere in the wexford/waterford area bringing retro goodness to a new home...:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,706 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

New pokemon announced for 3DS. I can hear atavan squealing from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    New pokemon announced for 3DS. I can hear atavan squealing from here.

Isn't he saving up for a Japanese Schoolgirl on Adverts though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Of course, spending 2000 punts on a pc in 96 was serious money but then, I had a wage and no mortgage or kids so, what did I care?
    I could also buy a 3DO, PS, N64 and so on, without worrying.
    Now, I have to plan months ahead on the new releases, although I lucked out with the Wii U and Christmas!
    But, the Vita is a distant maybe and I have to plan now for the new effort from MS, I'm guessing that the PS4 will be must have purchase some 18 months after the launch, so I figure aim for buying one some time in early 2015!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Pokémon X and Y look amazing. The graphics are beautiful, and the new fire type looks like it would be my choice of the three. Also, how cool is that legendary in the first with the antlers? I want it now! This might be the thing that pushes me over the edge to buy a 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone else here from the generation who were adults when Pokemon came out, saw it as a kids fad and now find it all very odd to see adults talking about Pokemon?

One of my sisters (she's 20) is a Pokemon lunatic. Any time she talks about how great the franchise is, I just see her as a 6 year old with a toy screaming 'Pikachuuuuu!!!' and making eletricity sounds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I used to sell computers back in the mid nineties, and my first one I actually got to buy would have been an AST advantage (611 I think), which had a weird 5x86 processor (basically a psuedo pentium made by a crowd called cyrix), 8 mbs of ram and an 800mb hard drive , Paid about 800 quid for it (staff discount ftw).Got a 28.8mb modem as well (cardinal I think) and went in to merriom square and signed up with an ISP there (indigo) put it this was , I was given a very early version of netscape navigator that came on floppy)
    Upgraded the memory about a year later to 16mb as a lot of games like shadow warrior and the like didnt like 8.
    A few years later when the harad disk ied I put a 6 gb one in which was MASSIVE. Ended up building a new pc a few years later with parts a mate gave me , including a p200MMX that had been thrown out of Intel (he worked there) as it had been jammed in a drawer and had bent pins.An hour of pin straightening later and I had it working!Got my first 3d card for that to, a voodoo 1 3dfx.Amazing for the time.
    Balls , now I want to buy a 3dfx card off ebay!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone else here from the generation who were adults when Pokemon came out, saw it as a kids fad and now find it all very odd to see adults talking about Pokemon?

One of my sisters (she's 20) is a Pokemon lunatic. Any time she talks about how great the franchise is, I just see her as a 6 year old with a toy screaming 'Pikachuuuuu!!!' and making eletricity sounds.

Yep, & with all due respect to Atavan, I've still not got the foggiest what the whole thing is about. Then again, give me Pokemon fans over Bronies any day

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yep, & with all due respect to Atavan, I've still not got the foggiest what the whole thing is about. Then again, give me Pokemon fans over Bronies any day

Ah yeah, I wouldn't mean any disrespect, I've heard the games are brilliant. But I can't help shake those images of my little sisters running around screaming Pokemon names at each other.

I guess it's the same feeling my folks get when I keep banging on about the Megadrive :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

misé.
    Always associated Pokemon with 7 year old kids battering each other in the playground for cards.Other peoples retro I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Well, I'm buying a 3DS come October.

I'm honestly quite surprised the announcement wasn't for Ruby/Sapphire remakes, considering the Gen 3 stuff that was found in the code of Black 2/White 2, that was not present in the first Black/White or Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, implying an intended further connectivity between Gen 5 and the once rumoured remakes.

I guess with so much still to be revealed about X and Y, it might just make sense yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

So, they finally ran out of colours and gem types and are now resorting to letters? Be more inventive, Ninty.

• I'm honestly not too bothered about buying early for the next generation of consoles. After the shambles that was the version 1 Xbox 360 I'll be taking the "wait and see approach" this time, at least for a year or so. Im fed up of ending up with bug ridden fat versions of consoles at twice the price they eventually drop to, or boxes that sound like a jump jet taking off in comparison to their whisper quiet newer iterations.

No, I'll wait till prices come down a bit, and I think I'll pick where my loyalties are going to lie this time too. The days of buying the lot are behind me because if the PS3 and wii are anything to go by, the number and console exclusives just don't cut it to justify the price tag for the hardware. My PS3 has basically been an expensive dust trap over the last year or 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,706 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When Pokemon became big I was way too old for it being 16-17 at the time. However I still loved it. I used to finish school, walk home and watch pokemon before doing homework since it was the only thing on TV and you know what, it's a pretty excellent TV series. It also helps as well that the games have been superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

F*ck you attic!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    When Pokemon became big I was way too old for it being 16-17 at the time. However I still loved it. I used to finish school, walk home and watch pokemon before doing homework since it was the only thing on TV and you know what, it's a pretty excellent TV series. It also helps as well that the games have been superb.

I was actually quite excited about Pokemon first airing as I was really big into Manga Entertainment VHS releases at the time. Knew nothing about it other than that it was a Japanese animated show being shown on TV.

The only other Japanese stuff I'd even seen broadcast was late night on Channel 4. So I rather naively had visions of something akin to Akira/Patlabor/AD Police etc. Sat down to watch the first episode and then realized it was a kids show :(

The first episode is pretty naff, I always hated it. The second episode is when it gets great with Misty going nuts at Ash for wrecking her bike.

Also if you didn't have a tear in your eye during that Butterfree episode then you are an inhuman monster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was the perfect age when for Pokemon's initial run - Red / Blue came out around my last year of primary school so it was a 'thing' so to speak in the schoolyard. Link cables all over the gaff.

I played Trading Card Game on GBC and Gold (both imports, which was particularly exciting at the time) but secondary school did not have an active Pokemon community, and thus I grew out of it fairly promptly. Have always been meaning to try one of the more recent titles, but they all seemed to have followed the same basic template. Might give this X / Y a go if its a significant upgrade, but then I said that about B&W too and that never happened.

Also, I got unreasonably annoyed when I heard there was a Pokemon called Vanillite who was a ****ing ice-cream cone. Seriously Gamefreak?! 1st Generation Pokemon FTW.

582Vanipeti.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

maybe they were watching this one?

d0b.jpg

• Advertisement

It came way too late for me, I had watched Robotech/Marcross some years before so Pokemon just looked like another fad, like TMNT or the like.
    So while Pokemon emerged in was watching the new generation of Warner Bros toons, from Tiny Toons, Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain to Batman animated.
    I know those toons were nominally kids shows but they were so creative it was compelling viewing for someone on their twenties like I had been.
    Earthworm Jim was also doing the rounds at the time... Groovy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Definitely looking forward to this new pokemon game! The battles look very pokemon stadium-esque and with a lower camera angle gives it the look of a proper 3d game. There also seems to be a small element of a platformer looking at the trailer which is a bit random, but not surprising due to previous gym puzzles.

This definitely will be a new generation and a new feel to the series. Can't wait to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ever understood that whole Pokemon stuff at all.

I was fairly late to the poképarty, to say the least. The first one I played was Diamond in 2008, and at that stage I was about 25. Didn't take me long to become hooked on it. I played the hll out of it, and for some reason or other I put it away a few months later. I finally rediscovered it last febuary, wiped my old 70(ish) hour file, and restarted it again. Since then, I've become a huge fan of the series since. Certainly not a kid's fad in my eyes, just good fun, simple gaming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I think anyone who hasn't played pokemon since the gameboy era or at all owes it to themselves to play one of the modern games.

The great thing about them is that they can be played casually or you can play it "hardcore" for lack of a better word. There's a lot more depth than people think. Not only do you have type advantages or disadvantages but individual stats that change depending on with pokemon you defeat, natures which give certain stat boosts, abilities and hidden abilities, items, egg moves, ev's, iv's, breeding for certain stats and so much more!

The Cinemassacre & JamesNintendoNerd youtube accounts seem to have been terminated...

I think anyone who hasn't played pokemon since the gameboy era or at all owes it to themselves to play one of the modern games.

People who haven't played since the first generation seem to have a bit of a stick up their arse about the fact that the games kept going on without them. Anywhere you go where Pokémon is being discussed, there's always someone bellowing on about how the games have been ruined when they started adding extra pokémon into it, and how he/she poted out at that stage. I never really understood this mentality myself. Pokémon games are really games of discovery. Seeing all the new types and evolutions that appear in each game always makes the game feel like a journey. If I was catching nothing other than the original 150 (or was it 151?) game after game, I'd find the franchise astonishingly boring.

Even more annoying are people that denounce the series as being a kids game. It's one of the deepest RPGs available today and has a fantastic battle system. Even the writing is really good, there's usually a fair few giggles to be had and you can tell Nintendo Treehouse had a blast translating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've only ever played Pokemon yellow and that was only recently but I sunk a ridiculous amount of hours into it. If Pokemon is a opioids game then so is Mario and most of the other nintendo games. There's a nice bit if strategy to it and at times it can be very humorous.
    I haven't tried any of the newer ones only because I thought they would be more of he same. Any I particular that I should try?
    Pokemon conquest looks to be a bit different, worth a try?

A bunch of my games and stuff have for destroyed being in an attic for a few weeks. All the lovely cardboard nintendo games squashed because a relative throw a box of books on it!
    Haven't went through it yet but I hope noting too expensive is ruined!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Cinemassacre & JamesNintendoNerd youtube accounts seem to have been terminated...

As for Pokemon...yeah, I was around 8 when the show first aired. It was great for the first few years, but I think it really outwore its welcome, but hey. Anything to advertise the series.

Also, did anyone else have this strategy magazine which detailed the first 251 Pokemon and where you could find them in Gold and Silver as well as other tips and tricks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement