Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bardic

I'm wondering if somebody would be able to help me out. I'm having right trouble trying to get torrenting working (wouldn't mind so much only it's not even anything copyrighted or illegal I'm trying to get!)

I'm on Eircom with a Netopia wireless router. Running Vista. I've downloaded uTorrent, Bittorrent, and Ares, and none of them are getting upload or download speeds higher than about 4.5kB. uTorrent is the fastest, but that's not saying much. I've tested out torrenting files from dedicated servers, and the download speed still seems to max out at about 7kB.

Trying to find solutions on the net led me to portforward.com. I follwed all their instructions to the letter - set up a static IP, forwarded the port. I've tried turning off all firewalls. I've ticked the box for, forced encrpytion. None of it makes any difference, and uTorrent still reckons that the port is closed.

Seriously, what am I doing wrong here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

same with me, netopia router and eicom connection. used to work great but not anymore. Have the right ports open on the router, assigned static ip, maximum of 20kb download speed. Any other eircom customers experiencing this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Kenmare

Ive got intimate access to just about every private torrent site worth having XD

but nothing beats rapidshare.

^_^

just my opinion :)

• Kenmare wrote: »
    Ive got intimate access to just about every private torrent site worth having XD

but nothing beats rapidshare.

^_^

just my opinion :)

Kenmare, not to call you out or anything but shortname list of sites then please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Bardic wrote: »

Seriously, what am I doing wrong here?
    same with me, netopia router and eicom connection.

i know when i started using eircom i had issues using uTorrent. seems the default firewall setting was set too high on the netopia router. i kept getting an Orange icon on utorrant instead of the green one for the connection. tried all the port forwarding stuff and no joy so i lowered the firewall setting a notch and it worked out just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

Could somebody please tell me what the optimum speed settings for uTorrent should be for a recently upgraded Esat BT user (3mb > 7.6mb)

303467191.png

(My stats are a little better than the above suggests. According to the download manager, Flasghet, I am downloading at an average of 760kbps and my ftp clients upload at a constant 60kbps)

Since the upgrade its been slow as hell (download speeds maxing at 25kbps)

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

I am on XP, with a NTL 6mb Connection using uTorrent, still only getting 80kb/s max.

I have forwarded my ports, static IP and enabled encryption.
    That could be a different issue than traffic shaping.
    Try applying the patch from this site http://www.lvllord.de/ if you're on windows xp.
    (Found on original thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055132322&page=25)

Is this a valid solution and trusted before I install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Simi

I am on XP, with a NTL 6mb Connection using uTorrent, still only getting 80kb/s max.

I have forwarded my ports, static IP and enabled encryption.

(Found on original thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055132322&page=25)

Is this a valid solution and trusted before I install.

There's no harm installing the patch it may speed things up a little. As for UPC tbh I can't tell if they shape traffic or not. Torrent speeds vary wildly.

Some nights I can get 800kb/s on my 10mb package. Other times it slows to <50kb/s on torrents with plenty of seeders & peers. But it appears to be entirely random.

Sometimes I can get >400kb/s at 5-7pm a time you'd definitely expect them to be traffic shaping if they were other times it can be <50kb/s at 4am!

Sometimes shareaza takes ages to connect to gnutella 1 & 2 a clear sign of traffic shaping others it connects just fine & searches/downloads at blistering speed.

The only thing that you can do is enable encryption where availiable, use a high properly forwarded pot & hope for the best.

If ur using a wireless router limiting the number of connections utorrent makes to ~60 may help speed things up. You could also try limiting the number of global connections. It's a common misconception that more connections = faster downloading. Having too many connections simply cripples your router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sunnyman2

im thinking of switching from eircom to upc 10mb ,

mainly for using torrent sites,

but with all this talk of upc throttling, im not sure what to do,

is it still worth changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is anyone on Eircom experiencing some kind of throttling issues? My download speed is constantly 30kbps and upload of 5kbps. I have no limits in place and this isn't isolated to one torrent, it's been like this for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ronrar

AdMMM wrote: »
    Is anyone on Eircom experiencing some kind of throttling issues? My download speed is constantly 30kbps and upload of 5kbps. I have no limits in place and this isn't isolated to one torrent, it's been like this for some time.

im running eircom 1mb bb and i havent had a problem,

im getting full dl speeds,

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

Just a thought, not sure if anyone has mentioned this previously - uTorrent has an option to encrypt down/uploading torrents to prevent ISP's from hindering speeds. Not sure how effective it is but i have never had any speed problems with NTL's new 20mb line

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

This stuff is just a little above my head so i was wondering about this recently released software to check isp throtling.Has anyone tried it and is it any good?

http://www.eff.org/testyourisp/switzerland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Just a thought, not sure if anyone has mentioned this previously - uTorrent has an option to encrypt down/uploading torrents to prevent ISP's from hindering speeds. Not sure how effective it is but i have never had any speed problems with NTL's new 20mb line

I found a few weeks ago that torrents had started downloading very slowly with azureus.
    So I changed to utorrent and enabled the encryption option, it got them back downloading at full speed straight away. Also you must turn off the firewall on the eircom router to get the green light, as well as having all the ports open from 10000 - 60000.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Tim131

I've Eircom 2MB and am maxing out, getting speeds of up to 212kb/s and upload of up to 20kb/s - am using uTorrent (It's the best client, easy on CPU Usage) I max out on torrentleech, and bitHD, and most other private sites.

Has anyone on Eircom actually managed to forward their ports? I can never do it! doesn't really bother me as I can upload and D/load grand, just I remember when I was on oink, I could never upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Blindpew wrote: »
    as well as having all the ports open from 10000 - 60000.
    :eek:

why all the ports?
    surely thats a lot less secure than only opening the one you need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ronrar

Tim131 wrote: »
    Has anyone on Eircom actually managed to forward their ports? I can never do it! doesn't really bother me as I can upload and D/load grand, just I remember when I was on oink, I could never upload.

no, i havent,i can still upload and download ok, but havent been able to do it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

TheTubes wrote: »
    :eek:

why all the ports?
    surely thats a lot less secure than only opening the one you need?

Well you are right but I couldn't get it to work right when I only opened certain ports. I have been downloading for years with all ports open and have never had any problems. Internet security blocks any interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Utorrent is the best imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'm trying to get past 1 at the moment, am up to .89, what ratio do you aim for, or do you not care at all or do you not upload ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

unless it's a private tracker i couldn't give a hoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ntlbell wrote: »

+1, I quit when done. Its handy having a dynamic ip :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Another torrenter with a low ratio here too...

And WHAT has this got to do with windows???? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

:) well where should it go ? If everybody kept a low ratio nobody would ever get anything, you are only able to download because other people who don't share that view upload, I think it's only fair to aim for 1, plus it makes me feel good helping people out haha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'd say net+comms.

You do that moosejam. Ill buy you a pint sometime :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

might be better suited here

1 would be great if you had symmetrical broadband, NTL try to throttle torrents, but do they try to throttle upstream too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

starting to ul more now that BT have bumped it to 1meg up and uncapped.

had to care before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sunnyman2

i gotta ask,

im thinking of changing to upc,

mainly for torrents,

is it a good choice to get upc,

im in cork if that makes any difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yes, its ok for those Scandanavians with their symmetrical broadband to have a constant 1:1 ratio but I live in Ireland where this is impossible. I would love to, but i can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

ntlbell wrote: »

Agreed :D

Advertisement