Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

bowfishing

• 16-04-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

I just received am email from the fisheries board regarding bowfishing in saltwater. With the exception of restricted species like salmon,bass and seatrout etc... he said that, like spear fishing, no problem. Has anyone else ever checked this out and if so, what did you hear? I know that bowhunting is illegal and not to be discussed, but as this is fishing.....any interest anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Always knew it was illegal for hunting, so presumed fishing too, lets face it, there are easier ways to catch fish. Having said that i did see an old lad bow fishin on the brosna when i was in my early teens. Any link to the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Hi Dusty, I know there are easier ways to catch fish, I've been fishing since I was four, but if all we wanted were easy-caught fish we wouldn't be fly fishing, we'd be sat at the side of the lake with two or three spinning rods and a jar of worms. I love fishing,always have, but ever since I took a proper interest in archery about six years back, I've always wanted to try fishing with a bow. I don't have a link to the law as I'm not sure if there is one, all I have is the email I got from the fisheries board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Il have a look tomo when iv time. I didnt mean easier in the sense of the word. It would be fairly hard fishing for mackeral with a bow in fairness:) can you post the email? Did they give any reference? Prefer the rod meself but ya have me interested.

I can't post the email because there is a legal thing at the bottom saying "for your use only, not to be shared with third party blah blah blah",but I'm sure if you email them yourself you would get more or less the same answer. I'll contact them to see, just in case.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

would love to try this out- aim low apparently.

• Advertisement

That's what I read too. I'd love to get set up for it. There's a nice looking recurve kit in cabelas, bow,line, arrow and spring loaded point all for 139.99!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

3rivers have something similar or just a starter kit for 32.00 odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Longranger wrote: »
    That's what I read too. I'd love to get set up for it. There's a nice looking recurve kit in cabelas, bow,line, arrow and spring loaded point all for 139.99!

I must admit that although bowfishing appears a bit "redneck," it also looks like a lot of fun - something I will have to do some day.

Have you a link for the kit? Is it for a compound bow?

True, as mentioned above you always aim low.

When light leaves the water and enters the air, it appears to speed up. As sort of a compensation, it needs to go through more air and thus bends away from the normal.

Our brains just aren't set up to accept that light can bend. Your brain back engineers the ray in a straight line and believes the fish is in a different position.

So aim "low." Unless, you happen to have a LASER gun - then just point and shoot!:pac:
    refraction-fish.gif&sa=X&ei=wkfZT-XJOImC6AGWr9nLAg&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEe0zn6AspxvhiG8dvi6INEWcK_7w

Advertisement