Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Quick and Dirty Renting Guide

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Might not be right place ask!! When ya see a price for rent... Is that an asking price!? Can it be bargained!?

There is a large surplus of rental accommodation over prospective tenants. While in a high demand area a landlord may not be interested in bargaining with a prospective tenant- if you look on Daft (or similar) and see a significant amount of vacant rental property in the general area- it would be a good indication that the landlord might be more likely to bargain.

Note- be realistic- if you're hopelessly optimistic- you are just as likely to be dismissed out of hand. Having an idea of how long a particular property has been vacant- might be a barometer of how likely a landlord is to bargain (however if he/she has been renovating or repairing the property- and this is the reason for the vacancy- its not applicable obviously).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Here's my story.

My boyfriend and I signed a lease to rent a house 4 weeks ago at a letting agency and paid our deposit.

We are due to move in today.

The landlord finally told the letting agency 3 days ago that he has no where to go until next week and therefore we cant move in until then! I can't understand how this can happen when a lease was signed and deposit paid that we can be essentially not handed keys? We had our first month's rent available to pay as well.

On further probing (I rang pretty often as our lease is up with our current landlady as we gave her our month's notice at the start of April) it transpired that he was moving to his parents and they were getting a room ready for him !? I know if my parents told me I could move in on a certain date then they would have it ready...and what takes longer than 4 weeks to get ready anyway? And it's your parents home, I'd happily sleep on their couch until "the room was ready" if I knew I had tenants due to move in.

The letting agency seems to be powerless, although they are paid by him so why should they care whether I'm inconvenienced and homeless? This is a serious breach of contract but short of getting a solicitor involved I dont see anything else I can do and I'd prefer not to as we're supposed to be renting from this guy and we were hoping in 6 months if we liked the house that we could buy it...failing that a year.

So on reflection we've come to the realisation that he's trying to sell the house (we know as there is a for sale sign on the house and we wanted to buy before we got turned down for a mortgage) and he's probably waiting on someone to hear back from the bank about their mortgage. Our application for a mortgage took 10 days. So we're being kept on a string while he tries to sell the house from under us....and you know what, if he had explained what was going on I would understand. We came across the house in the first instance as a place to be sold...it was then offered to us to rent. it's always been my impression that he would try to get it shifted before we moved in but he's run out of time now and he's just being really really rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask your landlord if you can stay a few days - that you will pay for (and stick it to the new landlord).

If you are stuck for somewhere to live, have the new landlord put you up in a B&B or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

only for my current landlady we'd be homeless so it's sorted for a week. Though it still doesn't excuse his messing around and the fact that he's come back with "i'm not even sure I'll be moving out next weekend"...

Why has the letting agency allowed this to happen? I'd probably write into the papers after this to discredit them as they have just been shockingly bad at their job...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

seamus wrote: »
    Right, this is what I've come up with:
    http://members.boards.ie/seamus/checklist.rtf
    (Best viewed in MS Word unfortunately, otherwise you'll have to reduce your margins a bit)

Can you re-post this file please? I'm interested in taking a look. The link doesn't seem to work. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gowayuwilya

Hi,any help on this would be appreciated. Signed a lease for 12months but handed in notice after six months. apartment was left spotless when i moved, anyway was expecting my deposit back but landlord is deducting rtb fees, daft fees and he says he had to lower the rent to let the apartment again, there was no void between new tenants and me...its almost wiping my deposit. is he entitled to do this?

Hi,any help on this would be appreciated. Signed a lease for 12months but handed in notice after six months. apartment was left spotless when i moved, anyway was expecting my deposit back but landlord is deducting rtb fees, daft fees and he says he had to lower the rent to let the apartment again, there was no void between new tenants and me...its almost wiping my deposit. is he entitled to do this?

The purpose of the deposit is solely to return the apartment to the state you found it in......... You are entitled to complain to the PRTB on this front.

However....... under the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act- by vacating the property prior to the elapse of the fixed term lease, by means of reascribing the lease (even if the landlord did this part for you)- you are liable for the difference between the rent you were paying, and the rent the new tenant is paying, until the elapse of your own lease (aka for 6 months), and you are also liable for advertising fees etc. You are supposed to pay these upfront yourself- they are *not* supposed to be deducted from your deposit.

So- you owe him money- and he owes you money.........

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Hi all,
    Hope this is ok here... Just looking for a bit of advice really.
    Am currently looking at houses to rent, going to view one tomorrow that I'm pretty sure we'll want, it's through the landlord himself who seems like a really nice guy.

As this is our first time renting I'm not really sure what way it works, say we go and see it tomorrow and we really want to rent.. what happens then?

I know it's probably a bit of a stupid question but hadn't actually thought about what you do when you actually find somewhere you would like to live.

As I said, no experience with this yet :)

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 uncleinim

xLouLoux wrote: »
    I know it's probably a bit of a stupid question but hadn't actually thought about what you do when you actually find somewhere you would like to live.

If you really like it and are willing to pay the asking rent, just ask him out straight when you can move in. Assuming the landlord has no issues with you (and why would he?), he should shake on it and get the ball rolling on paper work. Before you know it, you'll have the keys and a s**t load of moving to look forward to!

Personally though, I would suggest a bit of old fashioned haggling. If the rent is say €1000 p/m and you really like it, play a bit of poker, don't look too eager and offer him €900. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Also, before saying anything, make sure you know exactly what's included in the rent, maintenance, waste, parking, utilities etc., etc., etc....

Hope this helps, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

uncleinim wrote: »
    If you really like it and are willing to pay the asking rent, just ask him out straight when you can move in. Assuming the landlord has no issues with you (and why would he?), he should shake on it and get the ball rolling on paper work. Before you know it, you'll have the keys and a s**t load of moving to look forward to!

Personally though, I would suggest a bit of old fashioned haggling. If the rent is say €1000 p/m and you really like it, play a bit of poker, don't look too eager and offer him €900. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Also, before saying anything, make sure you know exactly what's included in the rent, maintenance, waste, parking, utilities etc., etc., etc....

Hope this helps, good luck!

That has helped alot, thanks a million :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 seaslug

I'm currently approaching the end of a fixed term contract (12 months). I provided 40 days notice to the landlord and agent that I wished for this tenancy to roll over into a Part 4 tenancy. I want this as I may have to move in the near future. However, the agent has insisted to me that I sign another fixed term lease (again 12 months), but has reassured me that the lease allows me to break it early with the appropriate notice. The text the agent is referring to is as follows: "Both Landlord and Tenant have to give 4 weeks written notice from the contract date to vacate the Premises if either wishes to terminate the lease before the end of the Term of the lease (one year less a day)".

My interpretation is that the text above stipulates something I must do if I seek to break the lease, but does not give me the absolute right to break the lease early (ie. what happens if the landlord says no?). The agent however has reassured me that this text gives me the right to end my lease with just 4 weeks written notice, with no penalties applying.

I guess I have two questions which I hope somebody here might be able to answer:

1) Does the agent/landlord have the right to insist that I sign another 12 month lease, or am I perfectly in my rights to insist on a Part 4 tenancy?

2) Even if I do sign the second fixed term contract, am I disadvantaging myself in doing so? Is the agent correct in saying that I wouldn't be tied to the full term of the contract as long as I give 4 weeks notice? Or might I find myself stuck with a 12 month term even if I need to move out?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

PS. Would anyone have any document I could print off to show to the agent reaffirming my right to a Part 4 tenancy? When I mentioned the words "Part 4 tenancy" to her she replied with "A what?".

Few issues with this:

1. As you'll have been a tenant for >12 months, the period of notice between 12 months and 2 years- the period of notice is actually 6 weeks (42 days) and not 4 weeks (28 days). It is illegal to specify a shorter period of notice in a lease than those periods as prescribed under the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act. You can mutually agree a shorter period of time when you're giving notice- but you can't do this at the start of the tenancy agreement.

2. You already automatically have a Part 4 tenancy- in addition to your fixed term lease. A part 4 tenancy automatically comes into being, once you've been in the property for 6 months or longer, irrespective of the existence of your fixed term agreement.

3. I think you don't understand fully the purpose of the Part 4 tenancy- its to provide additional security of tenure to you- not specifically to make it easier for you to vacate your lease- to make it harder for your landlord to evict you.

4. Any fixed term contract you sign, is a civil contract between you and your landlord, and is in addition to any rights or obligations (but not detracting from either) prescribed by the primary legislation.

What I'd suggest is get a new lease- and go over it in detail before signing it. Confirm that you can vacate the lease without cost by giving the prescribed period of notice (make sure you quote the 6 weeks from the act for this- not the inaccurate 4 weeks thats currently in the proposed lease).

Providing you have a break clause in the lease- I don't see any downside to this- providing nothing odd or strange is elsewhere in the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Hi all,

Okay here I go;

I am currently renting a property in the midlands and receiving RA the last 7 months or so, I live with my partner & 2 children. We would like to move back to Dublin for family reasons and not sure of the procedure regards renting in Dublin with some of the new changes that came into affect recently.

We are looking at moving into new property in September 1st 2011, the landlord where we are now are very nice and said we only need give them a few weeks notice. Okay so we have given the correct notice to current landlords, we have found a property in Dublin we like and that accepts rent allowance, now we are not sure what to do next?

The landlord wants one months rent (1,000e) + (1,000e deposit) fair enough, I have saved up 1,000euro which I have now and am willing to hand over to hold the premises for us so we can move in when the CWO in the area sorts out are claim.

What happens if we give landlord 1,00euro deposit, go to CWO with paperwork (rent form signed by new landlord) does the CWO stamp it and pay it striaght away from 1st september??

I am sorry for my post being all over the place, I am dealing with a lot of issues at the moment and I really need advice/help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SMAP

Hi, Just found a new apartment in Dublin, we will be signing the lease next week.

Its perfect but we do not have a freezer just a very small freezer box within the fridge, unsuitable for three country girls freezing mammys dinners from home! We asked could we get a freeezer and the landlord said other tenants never asked for one but they were willing to get us one provided we paid half the price. They said a big-ish freezer will cost in and around 200 euro although so we each pay about 30 euro each. The landlord will then keep the freezer when we move out which i think is about cheeky! I was just wondering is this normal, tenants and landlords splitting the price of something, surely its the landlords job to provide a proper freezer or are we screwed because technically we have a small freezer box in the fridge?

Also there is no coffee table, no proper tv stand just a feeble, breakable looking desk, no bed side locker, just a wardrobe in one room (would like some drawers), and would like one more armchair as there is just room for 3 people to sit down comfortably although i know its not a necessity!

On daft it says its fully furnished, does that mean the above list should be provided? I would appreciate opinions of what I am entitled to ask for before signing the lease, the landlord is lovely and she is giving us a good deal so I don't want to come across rude.

Thanks!

It doesn't say anywhere that the landlord is required to supply you with a separate freezer- yes, a freezer box in a fridge is damn small, but thats the norm.

The landlord is offering to get you a new freezer with a 50% contribution from you- and to keep the freezer when you leave. Seems reasonable to me. If you want a separate freezer- and you want to bring it with you- buy it yourself. They start at about 140 and go all the way up- Powercity and DID will even deliver them for you (at a cost of about 20 Euro).

Its not normal for a rented house or apartment to have a big separate freezer in this day and age- for better or for worse.

Personally- I'd go with the landlord's offer- unless you have a particular wish to hump a freezer around with you in future?

Ps- when you do get a new freezer- read the instructions about leaving it running for 24-48 hours before using it- this cycles the refrigerant in it etc.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

When I moved into my last house, we only had a tiny little fridge with a small freezer in the top part, but the landlord said it herself that this was too small, so they paid for it.
    It just depends on the landlord, if they are sound they will help you out.

If i was offered the same deal as you, id buy it myself and then sell it when i moved out, or offer to sell it to the landlord.

I'd actually suggest putting up an add on Dublin Freecycle- its entirely possible that you might get one for nothing (however you'd have to organise to collect it). I got rid of a freezer and other kitchen appliances there earlier this year- they do pop up not infrequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I will be working between Newbridge and Dublin between September and February. The job is going to be a temporary contract. I will need to move out of Dundalk because commuting to that work will be unrealistic. Would it be possible to sign a 4 or 5 month lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

My lease will be up in a few months, so I'll be moving out. I see a lot of ads on daft.ie say "references essential" - I can get work references, but I don't have any references from previous landlords (nor current). Are references from previous landlords really needed?

Essentially they want to know that you will pay your rent and won't trash the place. The don't absolutely need a landlord reference, but they do want reassurance - you need to convince them.

It would be most important to have a reference from the most recent landlord - they don't really want to know about 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I had a look through the forum but couldnt find anything that put my mind at ease! Didnt think it deserved its own thread, so I'll ask here.

Im looking at renting for the first time and cant figure out how much rent I can actually afford. Ideally I'd like to be able to rent alone. Maybe some of you could give me your opinions to help me get a ball-park figure in my head.

My monthly income (after tax) is €1,600. Ive been trying to think of what bills I will have to cover and so on, but could do with some opinions. Some of the things Im unsure about is how much I can expect to pay on esb and gas bills (I dont use much heating)?

Other bills Ive been thinking of are: bins, tv/internet, food, and some saving money. Is there anything Im forgetting?

So, what kinda rent would be affordable for me? :D

So, what kinda rent would be affordable for me? :D
    Look at these polls to see what people are spending. Most people seem to be spending 20-29% of their after tax income on rent, but the actual amount varies a lot. This wouls suggest a figure of €320-480 for you. Obviously pay at the lower end if it means you have to commute and if it is a lower quality premises / location and at the higher end if it means no commuting, a nice place with lots of facilities, as your transport and other costs will be vary.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056399233

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Victor wrote: »
    Look at these polls to see what people are spending. Most people seem to be spending 20-29% of their after tax income on rent, but the actual amount varies a lot. This wouls suggest a figure of €320-480 for you. Obviously pay at the lower end if it means you have to commute and if it is a lower quality premises / location and at the higher end if it means no commuting, a nice place with lots of facilities, as your transport and other costs will be vary.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056399233

Thanks for that! I had seen those polls - and theyre a big help, but what was throwing me off was trying to judge it when the incomes can vary so much. I think if I do find a place I might try to convince them to do a short-term lease so I can see if I can afford it & if I like the place...

Thanks for that! I had seen those polls - and theyre a big help, but what was throwing me off was trying to judge it when the incomes can vary so much. I think if I do find a place I might try to convince them to do a short-term lease so I can see if I can afford it & if I like the place...

In general you pay 15-20% more for a short term lease (6 months or less) than you do for a longer term lease- plus your bargaining position with the prospective landlord is significantly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

seamus wrote: »
    Right, this is what I've come up with:
    http://members.boards.ie/seamus/checklist.rtf
    (Best viewed in MS Word unfortunately, otherwise you'll have to reduce your margins a bit)

Anything missing from there?

I know myself from bike/car hunting that you can sometimes forget to ask the right question/look at the right things, or if you look at a few things in one day, you'll forget which one has which feature...

:)
    Broken list broken :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

shonty wrote: »
    anyone give me any advice on signing a one year lease fro an apartment..as far as i know there is no clause in the contract..any advice would be great..thanks

It is not unusual for there not to be a break clause (I'm assuming that is what you mean?)- If you are not happy about that, ask the landlord for one.

You could also ask for a Part 4 lease or a Periodic lease which from a tenant's point of view are much easier to get out of, but are not as secure as a Fixed Term lease. However, landlords seldom use these types as a first lease. Another way might be to ask for a shorter lease, say six months.

I will be working between Newbridge and Dublin between September and February. The job is going to be a temporary contract. I will need to move out of Dundalk because commuting to that work will be unrealistic. Would it be possible to sign a 4 or 5 month lease?

No harm in asking. You could also as for a Part 4 lease or a Periodic lease which are much easier to get out of but are also less secure than a Fixed Term lease for a tenant

smccarrick wrote: »
    It doesn't say anywhere that the landlord is required to supply you with a separate freezer- yes, a freezer box in a fridge is damn small, but thats the norm.

The landlord is offering to get you a new freezer with a 50% contribution from you- and to keep the freezer when you leave. Seems reasonable to me. If you want a separate freezer- and you want to bring it with you- buy it yourself. They start at about 140 and go all the way up- Powercity and DID will even deliver them for you (at a cost of about 20 Euro).

Its not normal for a rented house or apartment to have a big separate freezer in this day and age- for better or for worse.

Personally- I'd go with the landlord's offer- unless you have a particular wish to hump a freezer around with you in future?

Ps- when you do get a new freezer- read the instructions about leaving it running for 24-48 hours before using it- this cycles the refrigerant in it etc.......

HOUSING (STANDARDS FOR RENTED HOUSES) REGULATIONS 2008
    and the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses)(Amendment) Regulations 2009 State:
    8. Food Preparation and Storage and Laundry
    8. (1) Notwithstanding Article 4, this Article shall not apply where the house is let or available
    for letting by a housing authority under Section 56 of the Housing Act 1966 (as amended) or by a housing body approved under Section 6 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 .
    (2) Subject to sub-article (1), there shall be provided, within the habitable area of the house, for the exclusive use of the house:
    (a) 4 ring hob with oven and grill,
    (b) Suitable facilities for the effective and safe removal of fumes to the external air by means of a cooker hood or extractor fan,
    (c) Fridge and freezer or fridge-freezer,

IMHO, I would not consider that an ice-box in a fridge satisfies the condition above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JenniG

Hi, I'm just having a play around on some of these threads. smcarrick suggested that I might drop on in this thread, definitely 4 good reason.

Three Americans (Mr, myself & Baby) r going to Ireland. (God help u all) Mr will b doing an internship, me well we have a 2 week old so I will be busy with her.

We would prefer not to live in the centre of city, but in nearby suburbs, (like we do now). We will b originally renting a car, then will purchase one so Mr can go where needed at the crazy hours when needed during internship (the roll will be becoming f/time perm after).

I'm used walking & public. We're looking for a place that is realitively central with facilities. Schools, crèche, doctors offices, supermarkets, drug stores, dentists, pubs, near public transport (for me mostly)etc

Having said that, didn't want Mr to have to drive more 45 minutes if poss. We like long drives, but not everday. 15- 30 minute drive would b ideal. Around, Dundrum, Churchtown, Leopardstown areas seem to b nice & fit the bill. But using google maps here & well we don't live there yet.

We are moving in August. So we don't know how to find a place available around that time. Paying 6-7 months rent for a place until we actually move is not another expense we wish to add to.

So when too look? Seriously look? We have been looking now just to get an idea of the market & hopefully an idea of what these areas r like. Eg facilities etc. Maybe u can help us in our endeavors... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marcinw

Hint:

if you're looking to figure out what sort of rent is right for a given neighborhood, you can try the fairrent.ie application. Nice thing to have when negotiating with a landlord (or a tenant, if you are an underpaid landlord).

Enjoy!

Advertisement