Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Lordhumphreys

Only got Viber recently, and I must say I"m very impressed with it. Its just much quicker than Skype when it comes to dialing someone

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bravadin

January wrote: »
    Hopefully will fix my problem, i can't see when people are trying to call me, when i'm in the app or not, but they show up as missed calls in my call history.

My wife had the same prob. She had notifications turned off for viber. You might check that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

January wrote: »
    Hopefully will fix my problem, i can't see when people are trying to call me, when i'm in the app or not, but they show up as missed calls in my call history.

Hi,
    This is a Viber rep, I'll be here to answer your questions and help with technical issues.

As suggested here, please check your Push Notifications and make sure they are turned on.
    Also, despite the fact that Viber CAN work even when shut off, we recommend our users to leave Viber running in the background if possible. It actually SAVES more battery rather than relying on Push Notifications and it improves overall functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Viber wrote: »
    Hi,
    This is a Viber rep, I'll be here to answer your questions and help with technical issues.

As suggested here, please check your Push Notifications and make sure they are turned on.
    Also, despite the fact that Viber CAN work even when shut off, we recommend our users to leave Viber running in the background if possible. It actually SAVES more battery rather than relying on Push Notifications and it improves overall functionality.

Thanks for that and welcome to the forum. And THAT thread on the Android forum was pretty interesting and entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Text messages = bye bye WhatsApp.

When I brought my iPhone into the Genius bar they said that Viber was using a lot of memory while open, hopefully this is fixed.
    Sc@recrow wrote: »
    agreed..viber is awesome...plus you can see on your contacts who has viber and who doesn't..very easy to use and accessible.
    can't wait for it to be on android so my cheap and poor mates can download it as well ;)
    cant' believe the guy that was bitching on the andriod form..what a fcúking twat..:rolleyes:
    ANDROID ICE CREAM IS NOT OUT YET SO THEREFORE WE WILL NOT BE DISCUSSING UNTIL IT IS RELEASED THANK YOU AND PLEASE GOODBYE!

My logic is irrefutable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

AdMMM wrote: »
    I've been using WhatsApp and Viber together for ages and it has helped me moved from the €60 a month tariff on 3 to the €40 month package! WhatsApp was the best 79c I ever spent on the AppStore and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that Viber was free!

An SMS function will mean I can ditch WhatsApp and have everything in one app. Can't wait!

While waiting for the update to be released, I wouldn't equate a "message facility" with SMS.

Besides, YAK! is far better than whatsapp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

rivalius13 wrote: »

When I brought my iPhone into the Genius bar they said that Viber was using a lot of memory while open, hopefully this is fixed.

ANDROID ICE CREAM IS NOT OUT YET SO THEREFORE WE WILL NOT BE DISCUSSING UNTIL IT IS RELEASED THANK YOU AND PLEASE GOODBYE!

My logic is irrefutable.

mmmm..ice cream..
    I'm rather partial to loop the loops at the moment...ice cold and I love the yellow sherbit bit...a nice thirst quenchener

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    mmmm..ice cream..
    I'm rather partial to loop the loops at the moment...ice cold and I love the yellow sherbit bit...a nice thirst quenchener
    I think I have a few twisters still in the freezer from last year...

rivalius13 wrote: »

My logic is irrefutable.

Viber doesn't use up a lot of memory.
    In fact, you can try it out for yourself - leave it open for a whole day and check your battery consumption.
    About bandwidth - Viber uses about 0.5MB per minute.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm an Android user and cannot wait for it to come out on Android in the next few months! I have not really properly used Viber yet but I know lots of people that say its fantastic. I'm told the call quality is brilliant, better than voice calls sometimes - but then again someone else disagreed with that completely. I know on Skype sometimes the quality is great and others its awful - but Viber have a better algorithm or something.

I started using WhatApp a few months ago and I think its absolutely fantastic. The thing is, its NOT free texting - its so much more - you have proper actual conversations like on IM you don't just send one or two texts back and forward - you can see when the other person is typing and if they have got your message etc - really handy. Also there is no signing in with usernames and passwords, and it automatically know who else of your friends has it from numbers in your phone book and even facebook too! So handy. Now that viber is getting this, along with free calls - it is an absolute must have for any smartphonoe user!

Thing is some of the networks are clamping down and blocking VoIP - I just hope that does not happen here!

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    Thing is some of the networks are clamping down and blocking VoIP - I just hope that does not happen here!

Zascar,
    As we've discussed in the other thread, do you know of any specific cellular operators that are currently blocking VoIP (and thus - Viber) on their 3G networks, or planning to do so in the future?

I'm talking about operators in Ireland or the UK.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Is there a desktop companion to viber (like skype) ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

No mate, I'm only going by what you told me in the other thread. You mentioned a rumour that Vodafone did it in the UK but I don't think this is true - unless someone can confirm?

Vodafone blocked Viber in a few other European countries, and it seemed that Viber was also blocked in the UK.
    For now it seems OK, but I need users' input on that.

About the desktop version - this is actually our next goal after the Android version.
    Naturally, it'll take a while before our PC version is fully developed and available for users. As always, you will know once it's ready and/or we need beta testing.

Great, a desktop version would be fantastic! One thing I'd love to see is chat history stored online via your account so you can always go back and see what you said to someone weeks ago. Is that in the plans?

Zascar wrote: »
    Great, a desktop version would be fantastic! One thing I'd love to see is chat history stored online via your account so you can always go back and see what you said to someone weeks ago. Is that in the plans?

If you mean that you can scroll up and see the messages sent between you and a certain contact (like iPhone) then yes - it's included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks for the quick answer, please do a mac version.

klingklang wrote: »
    I wish they'd hurry up with the iPod version.

Hi klingklang,
    This is an official Viber Media representative.

Regarding your question, Viber's current version already supports iPod.
    Have you tried using it and encountered problems?

Other than that, feel free to ask me any questions or suggestions you might have for our application in this thread.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

Hi klingklang,

Regarding your question, Viber's current version already supports iPod.
    Have you tried using it and encountered problems?

Nice timing - I've just hung up on another successful Viber call using my iPod Touch :)

Works really well. One thing, I'm curious are there plans to support the Text Message option from the iPod? The button appears active under all contact names but nothing happens when it's pressed.

klingklang wrote: »
    Nice timing - I've just hung up on another successful Viber call using my iPod Touch :)

Works really well. One thing, I'm curious are there plans to support the Text Message option from the iPod? The button appears active under all contact names but nothing happens when it's pressed.

I'm not sure I understood quite what you meant..
    Which Text Message option are you referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

In the Contacts screen within Viber, when you select a Contact it displays their info which I assume is pulled from the general contacts. An option to send a Text Message is here and I know that on the iPhone this opens up the Messages app but I'd imagine it does nothing on the iPod.

AdMMM wrote: »
    In the Contacts screen within Viber, when you select a Contact it displays their info which I assume is pulled from the general contacts. An option to send a Text Message is here and I know that on the iPhone this opens up the Messages app but I'd imagine it does nothing on the iPod.

I see now.
    Yes, you are right. Naturally, some features of Viber on iPod or iPad would be irrelevant because it is not an iPhone, and cannot make calls or send SMS.
    However, in Viber 2.0 (our upcoming release) there will be an option to actually text from within Viber itself to another Viber user, so that'll be a possible substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

I see now.
    Yes, you are right. Naturally, some features of Viber on iPod or iPad would be irrelevant because it is not an iPhone, and cannot make calls or send SMS.
    However, in Viber 2.0 (our upcoming release) there will be an option to actually text from within Viber itself to another Viber user, so that'll be a possible substitute.

Great - thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

I cant wait for the text messages:)

Vodafone blocked Viber in a few other European countries, and it seemed that Viber was also blocked in the UK.
    For now it seems OK, but I need users' input on that.

About the desktop version - this is actually our next goal after the Android version.
    Naturally, it'll take a while before our PC version is fully developed and available for users. As always, you will know once it's ready and/or we need beta testing.

Yes, confirm that it was blocked in Italy.

Viber 2 is out and as expected, it's messaging between Viber users and therefore should not be referred to as "SMS". All very welcome, of course.

For SMS try Heywire or Textfree with Voice, as well as our own Jellysms and EirText.

Ooooops!

Viber (@Viber)
    We are removing Viber 2.0 from the app store due to unforeseen tech difficulties. Should be back shortly. Sorry for any inconvenience :-(
    Tue Mar 29 09:34:46 2011

Sent via Osfoora

Seolta ó iPad 2

culabula wrote: »
    Ooooops!

Viber (@Viber)
    We are removing Viber 2.0 from the app store due to unforeseen tech difficulties. Should be back shortly. Sorry for any inconvenience :-(
    Tue Mar 29 09:34:46 2011

Sent via Osfoora

Seolta ó iPad 2

This is correct.

As stated, some users worldwide reported that installation of Viber 2.0 couldn't be completed.
    We are gathering information from them in order to pinpoint the problem, and we will upload a fixed version of 2.0 back to AppStore shortly.

This is correct.

As stated, some users worldwide reported that installation of Viber 2.0 couldn't be completed.
    We are gathering information from them in order to pinpoint the problem, and we will upload a fixed version of 2.0 back to AppStore shortly.

I see.

For my part, I updated without issue on 2 iPhones and 2 iPads.

• Advertisement

Any news on the Android (Beta) Release date???

Advertisement