Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

wow, some insane times there. it make take a while to get from a 26min 5k to a 16min 5k. But I'm sure I can do it! :D

Thanks mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

As RK said don't worry about times too much. There is a huge ranges of standards at any race and 26 minutes in a 5k race would be no disgrace.
    Check out the results from this years rathfarnham 5k for example:
    http://www.athleticsrathfarnham.ie/attachments/298_2009%20results.pdf
    As you can see there 26 minutes would be more or less mid pack. You will also find that your time improves greatly in race conditions compared to your training times.

Good luck with your training

So, tonight was my first ever Tempo Run. Hal Higdon recommends doing one of these ever other week (alternating with Intervals) He describes a tempo Run as a 10-15 minute warm up followed by 15-20 minutes of gradual speed increase to just uner 10k pace, followed by a gradual warm down
    My 10 k pace is still a mystery as I have never run one, but 45mintes would be nice so that would be 4:30/km
    Anyway found the session tough. Crossing the roads a high pace is a real problem and quite dangerousespecially in these dark windy nights. I think next time it would be better to do this on the track or during the daytime in a park.

Anyway overall 8.75km in 45 minutes Av pace 5:15/km Av Hr 157.

Splits were: 5:44(137), 5:41(147), 5:39 (152), 4:51 (161), 4:50 (168), 4:37 (169), 5:04 (165), 4:59 (164), 5:43 (159)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Interesting figures. Will be good to see how they improve. What HRM do you use to get the splits of pace+hr as I only have a basic one and hope to get a decent one soon?

If that's the tempo run then what're the intervals? I thought they were just different names for doing fast sections within a run.

I think my 10km pace is about 49min so I'd be interested in how you're getting on. I did my track session again last Tuesday but it was only 4 x 3mins with 1min recovery as some of the group are racing this w'end. I'm hoping to pull my 10k pb down to 45mins.

Hi RedB, I have a Garmin 405 Forerunner myself, best investment I ever made :D.
    I normally run shorter races with a AV HR in the mid-high 170's so i guess in retrospect I could have pusehed harder last night.

I think Intervals and Tempo are completely different, Tempos are doing continuos single laps with recovery in between with laps at 5k pace. Tempo is continuous run, with fast pace in the middle (10k pace) and slow down at the end. Thats how i am taking it anyway: So Tempo = slow-faster-fastest-slower-slow and intervals is slow-fast-slow-fast-slow-fast etc...all interesting to me as i have never did this kind of thing before.

* All this is what i understand from HH internediate 10k programme correct me if I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

I had planned a 4 mile hill run today at lunchtime but the wind and rain were actually so bad that it would have been dangerous. I settled for 5k on the threadmill at a 5% incline instead. 30 minutes total (10kph). little dead in the legs this evening....

Followed that with weights, more or less the same as last week excpet 3 sets of quad, hamstring and squats added.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

With menoscemo's blessing I am going to jump in and join his thread. A bit lazy I know but I couldn't think of a witty name for my thread plus the fear of nobody ever reading it has given me sleepless nights.

Imagine:
    Views 0, replies 0. Morto ;)

Meno (my pet name for menoscemo :rolleyes:) and me go waaaay back, you may remember us from such threads as the Sub 430 Mentored Thread and....well that's it really.

Anyhoo, we both finished the marathon in 415ish and are both following the Hal Higdon Intermediate 10k plan so it makes sense for both of us to be on the same thread for a kick up the arse every now and again.

A little about myself, 31 year old male, 11st8, 5'10. I suppose I could do with losing a few pounds (just for the running like) so we'll see how that goes. I have only had 4 "races":

07 Dublin Half : 2h10 then hung up the shoes until this year

09 Adamstown 8k : 41:41
    09 Longford Half: 1h53
    09 Dublin Marathon : 4h18 (novice blow up around mile 19 :o)

I have never done a 5k or a 10k so it's PBs all the way, I think I'll like the shorter stuff due to my pedigree - U 10 Offaly 200m champion :D

The HH plan calls for 5 days running, one rest day and a x training day so it's an extra days running from the marathon plan we followed.

The first week was a disaster, only got three days running in due to a foot injury but so far so good this week. Delighted with that as I tend to get injured quite a bit due to lack of stretching and running on roads. This time stretching and strength are part of the programme and I also intend to use the treadmill twice a week.

Mon: 15m treadmill Hill Run : 1.8miles : Avg pace 8:20
    Tue: 3.5m easy: Avg pace : 9:17 - plus strengthening/stretching HH stylee
    Wed: 8x400 on treadmill at 8.6mph + 1 incline, 30 second recovery jog.
    Thursday : 4m easy : Avg Pace : 9:56 - plus strengthening/stretching

Found yesterdays run very tough, it was a lot warmer than expected so no need for the base layers. It was also the first time I've ever run 4 days in a row. Hopefully next Thursday will be easier.

All advice greatly appreciated and thanks to menoscemo for letting me jump in - always good to have a virtual running partner!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Howya lads, great idea, nothin like a bit of virtual comradery. The very best of luck with the goals.

Meno, you are doing well, stepped it up in terms of hill runs, weights etc. That stuff is gonna really stand to ya.

I'm really struggling still. Even the 3 milers are tough. Left ITB is injured now, and I didn't want to admit it. Legs get fairly sore after runs, I think I need a prolonged period of rest (6 weeks) but I don't want to go back to square one. Only have 3 x 3 milers since the marathon as it is. Anyway, I like this idea, and best of luck to you both ;)

OI wrote: »
    Howya lads, great idea, nothin like a bit of virtual comradery. The very best of luck with the goals.

Meno, you are doing well, stepped it up in terms of hill runs, weights etc. That stuff is gonna really stand to ya.

I'm really struggling still. Even the 3 milers are tough. Left ITB is injured now, and I didn't want to admit it. Legs get fairly sore after runs, I think I need a prolonged period of rest (6 weeks) but I don't want to go back to square one. Only have 3 x 3 milers since the marathon as it is. Anyway, I like this idea, and best of luck to you both ;)

Thanks OI, I think you could be right about the prolonged rest, well from running anyway. Take 6 weeks off and then come back all fixed up. Anything else you enjoy doing so you can keep your fitness up that's not high impact? Swim, cycle?

It would be good to have a threeso third person in the group..

Welcome to the Log Sub430...jeez your stats are incredibly similar to mine (age, weight, marathon times, goals), the only thing is your shorter PB's are a little slower, however I am certain that this is because your races over these distances were longer ago than mine e.g. your HM was wexford in May 09(?) mine was at the end of september. I think the Marathon training will have naturally improved times over all distances and you will be pleasantly surprised when you son a 5 or 10k race ;)

Anyway today I decided that I haven't been putting in enough miles since the marathon and HH's 10k plan is not really big on miles. This weeks LSR was to be 5miles but I went a little further....
    14km (8.7miles) in 1:21. Pace 5:50/km HR 142 :eek:
    really enjoyed this run, as you can see from HR I took it really easy and enjoyed listening to Newstalks 'off the ball' all the way. I was just a bit annoyed about traffic and pedestrians at times, oh ow I wish the evenings were still bright and the parks were open :(
    Tomorrow I have a stag do to go to, unusually, it is kicking off with a 1hr game of football. I am raring to get back at that since I gave it up before the marathon training. I will use that as my x-training for the week.

Anyway I am going to try to up the mileage over the coming weeks, HH 10k plan is good and I will follow his advice on speed workouts/hills etc but I am gonna add a few miles onto the slow runs.

Nice to hear from you OI, hope you feel better soon. Maybe see you in wexford for the HM, I think it may be a goal of mine

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Welcome to the Log Sub430...jeez your stats are incredibly similar to mine (age, weight, marathon times, goals), the only thing is your shorter PB's are a little slower, however I am certain that this is because your races over these distances were longer ago than mine e.g. your HM was wexford in May 09(?) mine was at the end of september. I think the Marathon training will have naturally improved times over all distances and you will be pleasantly surprised when you son a 5 or 10k race ;)

That's good to hear, will be interesting to compare.
    Just out of interest what's your maximum and resting heart rate.
    I'm around 205 max - hit this on a treadmill session and 53 resting (this morning), it was around 47 during marathon training.

As for the marathon, I wish it was Wexford but it was Longford at the end of August. I really enjoyed that race, hit my stride really early and felt strong at the end - actually ran back to see how the missus was getting on. Compare this to the DCM where I never really got going.

So this morning I intended to do a run outside but the hero run became a softlad run, swapped the shoes for the slippers and onto the treadmill. ;)

6m in 57:04 so 9:30min miles, avg HR 155.

Followed this with some core work. Forgot how much I hate doing this stuff and how hard it is, oh well what doesn't kill you...

So that's 5 days running this week for the first time ever, looking forward to a lazy Sunday.

Remember this?
    Overkill?

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|4|19|31|5 days running, no injury - happy with that|
    menoscemo|||||

Back sore, abs sore, core stuff must be working. Challenging week but enjoyable, definitely prefer this than the hard slog of long miles.

For any novices like me reading, I would defo recommend Glover's Competitive Runners Handbook as a starting point. I thought I understood why I was doing different types of runs but he breaks them down very clearly.

I sometimes find it tough to hold back after reading other people's logs - "but sure if he's running 6 times a week and he's faster than me, then maybe I should do the same" - from reading Glover you realise that all people are different and it really is different strokes for different folks. I'm sure this is blindingly obvious for the more experienced runners but as a novice you're pretty much a sponge for information and it's easier to filter misinformation when you have a book for guidance. Glover is that book.

(please nobody say Glover is a charlatan :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

OI wrote: »

Your left ITB and my right.
    We should set up a club man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

ULstudent wrote: »
    Your left ITB and my right.
    We should set up a club man :pac:

It's both my left and right ITB, the marathon made a cod of the left one, nightmare, weight is rapidly heading northwards aswell, a well tomorrows monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Sharing a log?

People are going to start talking about you two...!

I read Glover and thought the book was ok - certainly nothing wrong with it. If you liked it you'd probably also like Daniels Running Formula which (IIRC) is really strict about understanding exactly *why* you are running each session in a given program, what the point of it is. And if you want to be as good a marathon runner as you can be then you need the best book on marathon running ever written.

:eek: I go away for the weekend and the log has turned int a gossip shop :D, normally I have to go down to the third page to find it!!
    Sub430 wrote: »
    Just out of interest what's your maximum and resting heart rate.
    I'm around 205 max - hit this on a treadmill session and 53 resting (this morning), it was around 47 during marathon training.:eek:

The max I have ever registered was 184 at the 5 mile in July, I hope to beat this at the Jingle bells 5k, don't think it is more than 190 though. My resting HR is somewhere just under 50.
    Remember this?
    Overkill?

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|4|19|31|5 days running, no injury - happy with that|
    menoscemo|||||

Maybe a little overkill as I intend to keep this log going long after HH 10k programe is complete. I hope to do next years 1000 mile challenge. Anyway get with the times!! It is km we are running in now!!
    Sharing a log?

People are going to start talking about you two...!

Meh, it is not as gay as calling yourself after a man who wore hotpants and a permed wig ;)

Anyway, back to the (s)log. Very unhealthy weekend involving a stag do, it included an indian a Chinese, a snackbox and about 12 pints of guinness :eek:
    Surpirsingly though it all kicked off with a 5 a side game of football. I haven't played footie in months so I was still stiff as a plank today, more so than after the marathon.
    Just back from a recovery run now. It is probably the easiest and slowest run I have ever done, I just didn't want to push myself at all, but I was still running ;)
    6.6km in 39 minutes, pace 5:58/km and wait for it .........AV HR 137:eek:

Tomorrow night will be a track night, gotta decide between doing 9 x 400m or 4 x 1000m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

. I hope to do next years 1000 mile challenge. Anyway get with the times!! It is km we are running in now!!

Never :D the 1,609km challenge just does not have the same mystique, never I tell you (goes off to do a poll to see what the people want :D)

I'm still in miles as treadmill calibrated in miles and Garmin in miles too. I suppose I should change that.

Hills on the treadmill tonight. 10 minute warm up then:

All at 6mph
    2 min at 1 incline, 2 at 2 incline, 2 at 3 and on until 2 at 8 incline so 16 minutes in total with a 4 minute cool down. Last 2 minutes was tough, heart rate up in the 180s.

All done in half an hour though then outdoor football for an hour, coaching not playing so not too strenuous.

Off for a bit of foam rolling now.

4m easy this morning. 37:37, 9:21 min/mile. Avg HR 151.
    A bit windy out there ;) (think it was curry night for the cows on the local farm).
    Half an hour strengthening and stretching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Meh, it is not as gay as calling yourself after a man who wore hotpants and a permed wig ;)

In the immortal words of Donkey "you cut me Shrek, you cut me deep...!"

Had planned an interval session this evening on the UCD track, but didn't bother going as I imagine it is flooded and probably closed.
    Now I f***ing hate threadmills but decided to bite the bullet and go to the gym after work. Of course I only realised in the changing room that I had no t-shirts and had only packed a long sleeve running top , but decided there was no going back :( Well to say I sweated a bit was an understatement, during the 400m speed sections there were literally puddles rolling of my forehead, the threadmill probably ended up wetter than the UCD track :pac: Over half an hour later the sweat is still rolling off me as I sit in my apartment typing this log:

Anyway I did a 500m warm up at 10kph (6min/kmh) followed by 9 x 400m at 14kph (4:17/km) with 200m at 10kph between reps. After a little warm down total was just over 6km in a tad over 30 minutes.

40m tempo on the treadmill, ipod died so it was 40 minutes without music.
    Soooooo boring.

Incline 1
    10 min warm up, 20 mins at 7.5/8mph (12/12.9kmh) HR 170-176, 10 min warm down.

3 easy miles this morning in 27:47. Avg pace 9:15min/mile. Avg HR 147.

Easy miles were around 10min/mile pace this time last year so there has definitely been progress. :)
    HH Stretching and strengthening too

Third day running without music :eek:, may as well try and wean myself off it now. I can now run in the middle of country roads instead of having to stick to the sides.

I can now run in the middle of country roads instead of having to stick to the sides.

Tear along the dotted line!
    3 easy miles this morning in 27:47. Avg pace 9:15min/mile. Avg HR 147.

Easy miles were around 10min/mile pace this time last year so there has definitely been progress. :)

You might have to change your name if you keep up that progress unless its your intended pace per mile :)

RedB wrote: »
    dotted line!

Wha are dem? ;)

Anyway I did a 500m warm up at 10kph (6min/kmh) followed by 9 x 400m at 14kph (4:17/km) with 200m at 10kph between reps. After a little warm down total was just over 6km in a tad over 30 minutes.

Excellent speed work - well done

Wha are dem? ;)

Yikes - I presumed if you were running in the middle of the road that at least it had a dashed white line. Now I'm hoping it only had no line as opposed to a continuous white one!!:eek:

Now that I think about it a lot of country roads I run on have no lines either so thats probably it. The camber does make it much nicer to hog the top of the road alright. See, there is a benefit of running without the music!

Missed yesterday due to falling asleep on the sofa after work. No worries anyway as I plan a gym 5k tomorrow and an LSR over hills on saturday.
    Tonight: 7.65km in 42 minutes. Pace 5:30/km HR 151.
    During marathon training this would have been my easy pace but having found the ability to run even slower I am now going to call this 'easyish' pace :p

On a side note, it is great to see so much activity on the log. Seein Sub430 update everyday is motivating me to get my 5 runs in per week!!

• Advertisement

On a side note, it is great to see so much activity on the log. Seein Sub430 update everyday is motivating me to get my 5 runs in per week!!

Good stuff.

Make sure you do the LSR on the Sat as that will give me a kick up the arse to do something on Sunday- on the jar straight after work tomorrow, no point saying I'll take it easy as a good mate is home that I haven't seen in months (and the wife is away) :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement