Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

• 02-12-2009 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

ChristmasFM.jpg

There's already been chatter about Christmas FM in this forum so I thought it might be nice if we invited them in to talk to us!

Please welcome Ronan from Christmas FM - ChristmasFM (Ronan).

Christmas FM is a charity radio station on 100.3FM in Dublin, on 106.07 in Cork and online at this link here:

listen3.jpg

They're a volunteer station - everyone is doing it for free, for the enjoyment and to raise awareness and funds for the Simon Communities in Dublin and Cork. Everyone who is working on it can be found here.

Now, d'ye know what I'd like to do? I'd like to create the definitive list of Boards.ie top Christmas songs and get the lads to do a segment on that, live on air. What do ye reckon?

Darragh

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Fantastic idea Darragh, and welcome, Ronan :) so, would you like everyone to give their top 10 and take the average, or would you like for us to come to an agreement (ha!) on our top 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Darragh wrote: »
    Now, d'ye know what I'd like to do? I'd like to create the definitive list of Boards.ie top Christmas songs and get the lads to do a segment on that, live on air. What do ye reckon?

Excellent idea.

I'll get the ball rolling with Dan Fogleberg - Same old Lang Syne.

Make sure and let us know when it will be on.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Damn you Tom you robbed mine, I'll have to go with:
    Frankie goes to Hollywood- The Power of Love.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ChristmasFM (Ronan)

Hey Guys and Girls,

Thanks Darragh for starting off the thread and supporting what is a great cause - Putting an end to homelessness through the Simon community (our charity partner).

First off for those that have never heard of Christmas FM, its a non profit social enterprise that plays non-stop Christmas music and broadcasts in Dublin on 100.3 and 106.7 in Cork. We also stream live on the web on ChristmasFM.ie Everyone that works there is a volunteer, giving their time free of charge.

By tuning in and spreading the word about the station you are helping raise money, so its hugely appreciate. If your in a position to, please consider helping the homeless in any way you can.

I think running down a boards.ie top ten is a great idea, lets set up a poll or something.

Currently judging from the texts coming in the top five would look something like this, in no particular order:

1. Pogues - Fairy Tale of New York
    2. Wham - Last Christmas
    3. Mariah Carey - All i want for Christmas
    4. New Song - Christmas Shoes (this was huge on the station last year and took us totally by surprise, you either love it or hate it)
    5. Band Aid - Do they know its Christmas time

Although it changes daily as the texts flood in on 57199, so text Xmas and your favorite song to get it played, texts cost €1 and all proceeds go to the Simon community (haha that reads like an on air plug).

We also are running a song contest to get a new Christmas song for 2009, Jules is sifting through applications at the moment but we'll need your help to pick the best one from the short list which will be announced on Friday.

Also wanted to publicly recognize the businesses that sponsor the station because without their support it simply wouldn't be possible to do what we do. With the floods this year, far too many many people are homeless and in need.

Ok so what's your favorite song... and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Hi Ronan, 0/

Fairy Tale of New York.

Of all the Christmas songs out there, this is the only one that lets me know the Christmas season has truly begun.

It makes my heart dance everytime I hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lockie83

Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My all time favourite Christmas song is Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie! I have the trumpet bit as my ringtone :D

Ronan, I love ChristmasFM, couldn't wait for it to come back on this year, have been listening to it in the car since Saturday. I'm going to be all Christmassed out within a week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Love Christmas FM too :D

One of my top favourites (very hard to pick a particular favourite)

Walking in the air - Aled Jones (being played now) :D

It always makes me feel very Christmassy and reminds me of being young with the excitement of Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

Slade - Merry christmas Everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake. Makes my heart melt every time I hear it:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ChristmasFM (Ronan)

Great choices guys,

No-ones mentioned Driving home for Christmas!! Thats one of my favorites and for some reason i can't get this song out of my head at the moment.

Hey if anyone has idea's, feedback or suggestions for the station please let me know and i'll pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just came in to mention Driving Home For Christmas. I love it!

I have some feedback! Can you let the man and woman who were announcing the competition winner this morning that it's not 'bows' of holly, or 'baubs' (???) of holly, it's 'boughs'. :D That annoyed me!

I've been listening all week in the car and am looking forward to a long drive to tomorrow with Christmas songs the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I love Christmas fm! i listen to it in work, cheers up my day :D

my favourite christmas song is "oh holy night". im not overly religious but hearing it at mass on christmas eve always gives me goosebumps.

oh & im one of the haters of that new shoes song. wrecks my head. its ALWAYS on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Has to be the Christmas Song for me by Nat King Cole, really gets me into that snuggly,relax in the sitting room with the smell of the Christmas tree.

Then after that White Christmas by Bing Crosby and Little Drummer boy by David Bowie and Bing Crosby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

the darkness song from 2003 fanks

The Darkness- "Don't let the bells ring" for me too, ridiculously brilliant. Listening right now, not sure if it's a repeat, but who cares!
    EDIT: Walkin' in a winter wonderland the original, would be my favourite old school one.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

There's too many to choose from!! I'll go with Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie.

Also, not your typical christmas song but was a christmas number one, Pet Shop Boys version of Always on my mind!

There's too many to choose from!! I'll go with Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie.

Also, not your typical christmas song but was a christmas number one, Pet Shop Boys version of Always on my mind!
    HOLY
    CRAP

I <3 you!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cruachan7

I've been listening since it started and love it BUT .... people keep texting asking for whatever song, the presenter reads out their text and just goes on with the scripted songs - every time - what gives?
    Is there no way you will play people's text requests or do you just assume that most of the requested songs will be in the rotation anyway?
    Regardless of that its a great and fun station.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

A Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

'Let it Snow' is about the only Christmas-type song that doesn't make me want to strangle a DJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

gary joules mad world reminds me of xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Have to say I love christmas fm, have been listening to it all week :)

My favourites would have to be
    I wish it could be christmas every day - Wizzard
    Merry Christmas Everyone - Slade
    All I want for Christmas is You- Mariah Carey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

cruachan7 wrote: »
    I've been listening since it started and love it BUT .... people keep texting asking for whatever song, the presenter reads out their text and just goes on with the scripted songs - every time - what gives?
    Is there no way you will play people's text requests or do you just assume that most of the requested songs will be in the rotation anyway?
    Regardless of that its a great and fun station.

Love the station, listened last year and iv been listening for 10+hours a day since 8am monday the 30'th of november, I agree with the poster above and I feel you have less of a selection of songs this year :confused:

I think people would be happy listening to any christmas songs,not just he most popular ones repeated.

Anyway, keep up the good work and I shal continue to donate :)

*oh and my fav song is: David Essex, A Winters Tale

CC

Seems this is a fairly commonly held thought. Any word from our official rep on the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Didn't know you were on line to cool will have it on in work tomorrow

My top xmas song is Driving Home For Christmas. Love it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Have to agree with ibarelycare, Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie has to be the best one out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Lilym

Love Christmas FM especially on a long journey home on Christmas eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

Okay, I can do this. In no particular order
    John Lennon
    Slade
    Wizzard
    Elton John
    Shakin' Stevens
    David Essex

Im a child of the 70's I expect. Since X factor we no longer have original Christmas songs anymore so its a bit of a commentary to see that most of the songs mentioned here are over 20 years old.

• Advertisement

Except for the darkness of course! "Don't let the bells ring" is definitely the best Christmas song of modern times...

Advertisement