Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S & C for football (Soccer)

• 08-10-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

I'm back playing football for the first time in years and I'm looking for advice and guidance. Without sounding like I have a big head I am a very good player who has always played at a decent level. Just getting back into it after such a long time away is difficult and I find I'm struggling with my strength, fitness, sharpness and quickness in the game especially 2nd half / last 20 minutes.

I'm a keen gym goer and my workouts consist of squats, deadlifts, chins, dips etc. I would consider my diet to be fairly good as well with the odd "cheat" days. All in moderation of course.

I'm wondering though if there are any more sport specific exercises I could be doing? The position I play is centre back. I'm looking for a workout routine that could help me get an extra 10/20 % out of my game.

I was considering of trying to add in some speed and agility training and hiit training as well.

Any advice and pointers please? Or any suggestions of a work out routine?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Hi, the best thing you could do is get more match time. either train an extra night with another team or maybe get involved in 5/7 a side for the extra practice.ask to play 2nd/3rd team matches.
    nothing can replicate this in the gym but some stuff you could incorporate into your workouts could be weighted jumps/box jumps etc as being good in the air is so important.
    as for speed/agility etc just set up small sprint blocks with lots of turning in both directions and stopping/turning/sprinting.
    maybe an extra semi long jog per week too.
    obviously with the extra work you'll need to eat more.
    stretching stretching stretching!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Did you miss the pre season with your team? I am going to guess the answer is yes.

If your endurance is the thing that is letting you down then that is what you need to work on. Normally you would do the continuous training, i.e running for distance early on and then a few weeks in replace it with interval training. But if you missed out on the continuous training it will take time to catch up on the rest of your team and you really need to decide how much time you can put into catching up.

To catch up I would cut back on the strength work for maybe 3/4 weeks and work hard on your endurance.

As said above flexibility is important for recovery and injury prevention.

Interval training should include short sprints, twisting, running backwards, anything that replicates match movements.

But with that being said these things should be covered at training anyway so when you catch up you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 local_lad

Thanks for replying lads, much appreciated. I will take what you have said on board.

Just of terms when I'm actually in the gym doing strength work out is there any routines or specific exercises I should be doing that would be more beneficial to soccer and more importantly my position?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

While gym work plays its part, the stuff you're describing there is not going to get you match fit and I don't think that's where you're going to find the kind of work you need to be doing.
    Maybe try this stuff and there's lots more SAQ stuff available.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

To be honest, the only way you can get match fit is by playing matches and getting game time under your belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 local_lad

While gym work plays its part, the stuff you're describing there is not going to get you match fit and I don't think that's where you're going to find the kind of work you need to be doing.
    Maybe try this stuff and there's lots more SAQ stuff available.

Thanks for the link :)
    FYG wrote: »
    To be honest, the only way you can get match fit is by playing matches and getting game time under your belt.

Yea I know I need more game time but competition for places is stiff and were on a roll at the minute so not easy to get game time. Thats why I'm looking to get my own extra bit in.

Cheers for the replies in anyway.

Advertisement